I have recently come back from a lovely honeymoon to Sri Lanka The Chaaya Citadel was the Hotel we choose to explore Kandy and the Sites in the Central area of Sri Lanka. The Hotel is away from Central Kandy but that was no problem at all to us as we liked the peaceful location away from the busy town. If you are not booked on a tour you will need a taxi driver to get to Kandy. We used the taxi driver , Samantha Priyankara,who was employed by our travel agents to do our ransfer from the airport. He was a lovely man, very knowledgeable, polite and friendly. He took us to the main Sites at a reduced cost. He can be contacted on samantha firstname.lastname@example.org and 0773741814.
From the previous reviews I thought the Chaaya Citadel would be the poorest choice of our 3 Hotels. Others have reviewed it as simply a place for coach parties to stop off at. It is true that it does cater for large parties. However the staff manage this very well. As a honeymoon couple we felt very welcome by all the staff.
The Chhaya Citadel is set in a beatiful location on the banks of a large river overlooking the tropical rainforest. The pictures on line and in brochures do not do it justice. There is a lovely clean swimming pool where you can swim with views of the jungle.
The staff are incredibly friendly. I said to my husband that it is not possible to be in a bad mood here as the staff are so friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.
The restaurant manages to cater for large parties and couple very well. There is an immense choice of food. We were seated away from the groups. The food is both Sri Lankan and European buffet style. There is plenty of it and it is very well cooked, unlike another beach resort we stayed in where the food was very poor quality. We eat far too much as we loved the food so much.
Both the restaurant and the bar area overlook the river and forest. There are plenty of places to sit and relax in the bar area.
The only negative point I found about the Hotal was that our room was above the kitchens and laundry area. There was quite a lot of noise as the staff prepared for the day. However it was not sufficient for me to feel I needed to move rooms.
I would highly recommend the Chaaya Citadel as a base to explore Kandy
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sweeping green hills, the longest river in the country, misty mornings and the fresh outdoors, are just a few things that naturally come together here to make the perfect holiday. Just 2 1/2 hours from the Sri Lanka's Capital City Colombo, Chaaya Citadel Kandy has reinvented itself taking into account the needs of holidaymakers around the world. Replete with a sense of history, serenity and majesty, the hotel offers guests the opportunity to experience the amazing Kandyan history, the culture and the arts that play a big role in the lives of the Sri Lankans. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cinnamon Citadel Kandy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chaaya Citadel Kandy Hotel Kandy
- Chaaya Citadel Hotel Kandy
- Kandy Chaaya Citadel Hotel