“A peaceful oasis in busy Kandy”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kandy Cottage

Kandy Cottage
Ranked #9 of 367 Kandy B&B and Inns
Devon, United Kingdom
“A peaceful oasis in busy Kandy”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We loved Kandy Cottage! Kandy is a really busy city and it was a treat to come back to Kandy Cottage at the end of the day - it is only 10 mins walk from centre of Kandy but it feels like a different world. Lots of trees, monkeys, birds and the cottage itself is calm and cozy. Thomas was the most helpful host we came across in Sri Lanka - nothing was too much trouble and he even reserved train seats for our onward journey. Manni is an amazing cook and the food at Kandy Cottage was superb. Overall, we loved Kandy Cottage and cannot recommend it highly enough. It is a bit more expensive than other places in Kandy but I think well worth the money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hospitality of the host, Thomas, best we've come across on our travels. Nothing was too much effort - walked with us to town (10minutes to centre), took us to the temple and was an excellent source for local knowledge and events. The food too, is delicious - curries (cost extra) and traditional breakfast: don't expect to leave feeling hungry, he sees to a good feed. Rooms were very comfortable, in fact tasteful too: polished concrete, traditional cotton sheets and mosquito nets/ plugs and fans. And the bathroom too, very comfortable, hot water, clean towels. Wifi works too. First impressions were excellent, but would advise to other travellers on a budget, that we found other guesthouses in the area (perhaps not such a warm welcome) for two thirds if not half of the price (though we booked in advance and didn't haggle...). Would also advise, as in amidst the jungle area, to take long socks and dettol to protect against leaches and jungle formula for the Mosquitos, there were a few but all added to the experience, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Kandy Cottage is practically in the jungle but still close to the centre of Kandy. The rooms are basic but comfortable. I slept like a baby here! Hot water works and wifi works - two things you can't take for granted in other places.

Thomas is a wonderful host. Charming, helpful and genuinely interested in making your stay in Sri Lanka as good as it can be. He encouraged me to use local transport to visit Sigirya, Dambulla and attractions around Kandy. Firstly, it saved me a fortune and secondly it set the tone for my whole trip. I used buses all over the island afterwards and met some very interesting characters. Before I moved on he sat me down with a map and worked out my itinerary for the rest of my trip saving me a lot of time and money and correcting a few daft ideas I had.

Finally, the food. I had a different breakfast on each of the four mornings I stayed, all of them excellent. Dinner was also excellent and varied. It was my first time in Sri Lanka so I was introduced to hoppers, string hoppers, roti, curd and honey etc. I didn't realise until I'd been on the island for a couple of weeks how good the food is here.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LostInPyongyang
Singapore
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Tobi and Thomas were wonderful hosts, ensuring a tuk tuk met my train and preparing a meal for me on arrival. Thomas was very kind and made lots of very helpful suggestions for things to do in Kandy and recommended a reasonably priced driver, Anil, to bring me safely back to the airport in Colombo. Kandy cottage is basic, but it is also very reasonably priced. It's wonderful to be away from the hustle and bustle of Kandy itself and to wake up to bird song and the noises of the jungle. My only downside was the number of moth balls in my room. I hate the smell of them, but apart from that the room was clean and comfortable

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JuliaRussell
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The house is quaint and charming and it was lovely to nap and watch the rain fall in the skylight.
My only complaint would have been about the leech that got on my leg from the toilet, but it is the rainforest and you have to expect these things some times! Thomas is the best host and his dog Cookie was so sweet--nice to see a domesticated dog since you see so many strays on the roads. Thomas made some of our favorite meals of the whole trip and we compared every restaurant's daal to his--it is Daal-icious! --no one can compare!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank knickslover
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Oh where to start? Probably by saying that I feel very lucky to have found Kandy Cottage. What a wonderful place and Thomas, what an wonderful host! Tucked away in a quiet corner of woodland 10 minutes walk from Kandy town, Kandy Cottage was such a wonderful find. I chose to stay here because of all the fantastic reviews but still the place exceeded all my expectations. It's worth the walk as you'll be rewarded by a peaceful nights sleep and a magical feeling of being immersed in nature. Undoubtedly the best and most authentic Sri Lankan food I had during my time in the country. My host Thomas, was incredibly helpful from the moment I arrived. As a female travelling alone in Sri Lanka for the first time I have to admit to feeling a bit apprehensive at the start. Thomas' kind, trustworthy and helpful nature immediately made me feel at ease and throughout my stay he did everything he could to make me feel welcome – even helping me with planning my onward travel and accommodation. Thank you Kandy Cottage and an even bigger thank you to Thomas for making my stay in Kandy unforgettable. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
eastleigh
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had a fantastic welcome from Thomas to Kandy Cottage - its a lovely peaceful green oasis up a leafy lane a really short distance from central Kandy. We stayed in the family room with our 2 children (age 9 and 6). We were back packing and Thomas was brilliant at organising drivers, tuk tuks etc. he also took us by bus to the Kandy Dancing. The cottage itself is really quirky with board games etc. But there is so much to do in the area its unlikely you'll have much time to kill. The botanical gardens are beautiful. We loved our time here. Request one of Thomas' lovely lime juices.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family