“Nothing special...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 58 Hotels in Kandy
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nothing special...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

So, we expected a lot when reading all the reviews (especially the LP gives good reviews). As we didn't book ahead, we got a small room next to the actual lodge. And here we go. The room was small and dark. The bathroom was very small and smelly. The bed is average, and there are a lot of mosquito's. Luckily, there's a net. Next to the lodge a new hotel is being built, so it's also quite noisy. Yet, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is great, yet a little pricy for Sri Lankan standards.
Putting things together, the rooms (and food) are overpriced, I'm sure there'r better places in Kandy for the same value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BW985

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have been travelling for more than twenty years and have stayed at numerous lodgings. So, I tend to keep an open mind as I realise that there can be hiccups. But, my experience at this lodge surpassed some simple hiccups!

When I first arrived, I was offered dinner...but I was quite surprised to hear the price of Rs1000 for the meal, which looked like nothing outstanding. The most I have ever paid for a curry at a similar establishment in SL was 650. So, I was a little put out by that, as it seemed to be a cash grab, especially since this lodge is supposed to cater to the average traveller. It was also the most expensive lodge I stayed at in SL and other ones far surpassed them in quality.

I was initially given a room upstairs. It was a little dark, but no big deal, it seemed just fine. But then, I noticed that the sink faucet was broken (not secured, so that it was constantly turning and pouring water on the counter), the towels were musty, and there was also a bloodstain on one of the pillowcases (a real turn-off, I must say). And, the Wifi did not work at all.

The next day, I asked if it would be possible to switch rooms to the bottom floor, as they said that the room there had internet. I was moved...but this room was NOT nice. Dingy, desperately needing a coat of paint, a large ant population in the bathroom, windows that would not shut (they had to be taped), and, the worst part: a toilet that would not flush. I told the owners but they did not seem overly interested in fixing the problem with the toilet. Plus, the internet connection was barely there. So, due to the toilet, I had to switch rooms again at about 21h30 - no fun!! The new room was okay...again, desperately needing a fresh coat of paint and looking worn. That evening, the internet also stopped working entirely!

My impression of this hotel is that they became popular and failed to continue investing in maintaining the place. I think a couple of the rooms are decent, but the rest have been largely ignored. Outside from the initial 'cosy' impression, this lodge is tired and faded and needs a proper rehaul. Also, I did not feel in any way as if I were a guest...it seems to me that these owners are looking to cut costs via the well-being of their customers. Quite frankly, I don't care if the common areas look fabulous...the rooms should be the first priority!

Good things? Not far from the centre (most guesthouses are actually located int he same area), the breakfast is good, and the best part: the two lovely young Sri Lankan guys that are hired to work there, who were kind, sweet and helpful. I also got the feeling that they were not treated overly warmly by the owners, although I do not know enough to say that with certainty.

Overall, unless a serious upkeep is done to spruce up this place, I do NOT recommend the Freedom Lodge. For the money, there are far better places nearby!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank TanyaM212
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

First of all let me say that we fully enjoyed our two night stay at Freedom Lodge. However, it didn't get off to the greatest of starts.

Firstly, having booked an airport pickup with the hotel we were left waiting at Colombo airport on our arrival from London, and ended up having to get our own cab to Kandy. It cost no more than the pickup would've done (Rs 8,000), but it was more than inconvenient after a long flight. Secondly, when we finally arrived at Freedom Lodge we had no room.

It transpires that the reason for these errors was that they had missed our booking, despite regular email confirmations. The owners were extremely apologetic when we arrived, and managed to put us up that night for free as way of compensation, with the promise of a room for the next night.

Now the good stuff. The owners are very very welcoming and friendly, and as soon as we got there we felt almost at home. The place itself is difficult to spot from the road (especially in the dark), look out for two large wooden doors. Once inside it is like an oasis of calm. Rooms are large, clean and comfortable; but some don't come with mosquito nets.

Eating as the best part about the place, its all very communal. The food is very good, Sri Lankan cooking (maybe a bit expensive at Rs 1000 per person). You get to talk to fellow holiday makers, who you will undoubtably meet again somewhere on the tourist trail.

Other info: There is free wifi downstairs. Buy tickets for the Kandy Cultural Dancing from the hotel. You don't really notice the building works going on around the place, it didn't affect me in the slightest. You need to tell the hosts if you want to eat that evening. You can get a local sim card in the town, but they will need a photocopy of your passport. They have beer.

Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lemkinn
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the beginning of March on advice of our guide book which recommended a basic but clean place to rest your head whilst in Kandy. As the below review there is much construction work currently taking place but after having a conversation with a local restauranteur we took this in our stride as the locals are obviously devastated at the 150 room hotel being constructed in their midst, robbing them of their view and custom, not only on completion but in the building stages with the noise and disruption. That said we really didn't notice the noise all that much. On arrival the house is modern, clean and well presented, our room however was a different story. Our bedding was stained and minimal and the mosquito net provided smelt so bad that we removed it and took our chance! The room was minimal and generally clean but was in desperate need of an upgrade at best and a fresh coat of paint. We really felt that small improvements would have made a big difference. As it was we never felt completely at ease in our room or in the house, the owners were nice enough and the young men who work there lovely, we always felt that the gentleman owner was always out to get more of our money. Upon asking of our plans in Kandy then proceeded to tell us that we they were unattainable in a tuc tuc which we had organised and that he should instead be our driver (for nearly 4 times the cost). In the end we stuck to the tuc tuc and found that most of the place which we 'out of reach' via tuc tuc were actually perfectly near. Overall the place could do with a good spring clean, new beds and more helpful owners who genuinely had travellers best interests at heart. It is also worth noting that for ourselves and other guests who we spoke to, the booking system is less than accurate, we were 'lucky' to actually find our room available having received no confirmation and there was an incident where-by a family of four, with young children arrived and their room had been given away, leaving them looking for an alternative in the dark. If you were to stay here I advice checking and double checkin, via email and phone (as we had to) that your room is actually reserved!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed here on recommendation from our travel guide. We arrived and found out that a construction site was in operation opposite - as well as the noise and mud this created, the water was regularly cut off. We were put in, I'm assuming from other reviews, the worst 2 rooms in the building. Our toilet didn't flush for over a day - we reported it straight away but the owner was in no hurry to fix it. The bathroom smelt bad, was crawling with ants, had a very dodgy shower and was dirty. The owner had forgotten our telephone reservation and had to squeeze an extra bed in an already small room, charging us extra. The only positive is that the owner did pick us up from the station and dropped us off back into town to see the Kandyan dancing. Other than that his attitude was very blasé. He offered to drop us off at a jewellery store (and dissuaded us from going somewhere that was recommended as a highlight in Kandy) but made us wait nearly an hour until he was ready. We then found ourselves sat down at a counter looking at gems that we didn't want. By the time we got out, we had wasted nearly half a day when we didn't have much time in Kandy in the first place. Overall, spent most of my stay here extremely frustrated and disappointed with the service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

the Freedom Lodge was a very great place to stay in Kandy. The family was very friendly, the room was nice and the dinner was very, very great! there was really nothing to complain about. Don´t miss the curry!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Good place with solid accommodation and amenities. Friendly and accommodating hosts Sarath and Nalini are seasoned, engaging professionals who enhance your experience. Nice atmosphere with lots of visiting among guests at this busy inn. We reserved a room with a balcony but the balcony was too narrow to use. Strange shower fixtures that were supposed to deliver hot water but didn't. Excellent evening rice and curry buffet @ Rs 1000 lots easier than going back out and facing the incessant traffic, touts, and tourists of Kandy. Generous breakfast to start you on your way each morning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple