“Cheapest souvenir shopping in Sri Lanka”
Review of Gamage Stores

Gamage Stores
Ranked #8 of 40 Shopping in Kandy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Sri Lankan souvenirs and handicrafts. I am now operating my shop from my warehouse a treasure trove of quality souvenirs elephants ranging in size and a variety of woods incl festival peherera. Lord Buddha statues all sizes and woods handcarved, bangles, fridge magnets, bags, puzzles, wall hangings and basically everything else you can imagine you can find here. Please phone before coming for directions. Easy 5min walk from the train station. If coming by tuk tuk drop off is preferred this ensures best prices.
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I always do my research before visiting a new country and came across Gamage Stores on the facebook web address www.facebook.com/lankasouvenirs. During my stay in kandy I checked out Laksala which claim to offer well priced souvenirs and I found them to be almost 30-40% more expensive for the same items Roshan sells at Gamage Stores. Personally I would rather not line pockets of government.

Roshan told me he is the wholesale distributer for areas in kandy, sigiriya, dambulla and further afield he sources the best craftmanship direct from the maker and the masks he had in his stock room were far higher quality then I had seen in any souvenir shop.

He has a market shop close to the station and it is best to meet him there and from there if you want to see more variety of stock he will take you to his stock room opposite kandy general hospital or phone for directions to 0773738880. The best thing is Roshan sells at the same price to everyone there is no difference in colour or nationality. The price he gives is the best price and he does not negotiate on price but you will see there is no need to in fact this man keeps only small profits for himself I am sure. He does not pay comissions so the customer gets the whole reward.

I bought a strip of masks I use for christmas decorations, a buddha mahogany statue which was 40% cheaper then laksala, a couple of handpainted masks with natural paints as well as a few wood carved elephants which my family loved! Some small friedge magnets, keyrings, pencils, notepads, puzzles and so much more are on display.

9  Thank jo_cpt

Reviewed May 4, 2014

If you are looking to buy souvenirs in Kandy, I suggest heading here first. No need to bargin--the prices are wholesale, you will get the best deal in town on...my favorite...puppets, baskets, boxes and bags. There is something for everyone on your gift-list. Roshan and Jo are also very friendly and even served me a cup of tea. You cannot go wrong to shop here!

1  Thank Atindriya
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

We actually discovered this place as we were walking.. n ended up buying more than we had planned because everything inside was way cheaper than the other specialties stores. Roshan was so nice he let us keep our goods aside for a whole week as we didn't wanna carry them all the way to Trinco & back. Great prices, lovely service.. this is the one guys

3  Thank BillCharm
Reviewed April 22, 2014

When out wondering the market stalls in Kandy, looking for souvenirs to take home to Australia, I came across Roshan's Gamage Stores, where he had an array of hanging elephants. Though I loved the idea, I told him that I was looking for more of them and more colourful options. "Not a problem!" he told me, and invited me to come to his warehouse. There I encountered boxes and boxes of stock, which I was encouraged to rifle through eagerly to find the exact colours I wanted for my sister's gifts! Roshan is huge, we joked and called him "The Enormous Man" as he towered over our tuk tuk driver and us, but a more gentle, polite and happy to please man, you could not find. A real gem and with prices you will love...

4  Thank carolondon444
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Roshan's market shop is a veritable treasure trove of lovely souvenirs from Sri Lanka. I bought a gorgeous leather bag at a very reasonable price! His store contains even more than the shop, so if you're looking for something specific, be sure to ask if you don't see it in the market!

4  Thank Fi W