“Lovely staying at Palm Garden”

Palm Garden's Guest House
Ranked #178 of 429 Kandy B&B and Inns
Beijing, China
“Lovely staying at Palm Garden”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

What I like about this place:
1, The manager and staff is very nice and friendly. They've been running this place for quite long and they know the ins and outs about Kandy. Just talk to them and get all the info you needed to visit Kandy. The manager also pick me up from the translation with his own car.
2, The food on the rooftop restaurant is quite good, a little expensive for budget backpackers though.
3, My room is very lovely. The best hot water shower I had in my entire trip. Slept very well during my stay.

What I don't like about this place:
1, The location, it's not exactly close to the center and there's nothing much around. If you finish visiting the town then you may spend extra 200 or something to get a tuk tuk back, and some tuk tuk driver is not so familiar with this GH.
2, The little steam outside of my window is a little smelly...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
UK
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Palm Gardens was not our first choice but we soon settled in and enjoyed our stay.Staff were generally friendly and helpful .The guesthouse is not near to town centre and it is not a pleasant walk into town so Tuk Tuk is necessary.
Our room was comfortable but in need of a coat of paint especially in the bathroom as ceiling was damp.Bedroom too showed evidence of damp. .Good mosquito net but coils are needed in the roof top restaurant.Food choice is limited but of good quality..
We stayed longer than we intended so this indicates we were well satisfied.Their driver Nilantha deserves special mention as he contributed enormously to our stay.

Room Tip: Not on river side of building
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ElaineMSmith60
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed at the Palm Garden guesthouse with my partner for 4 nights in August of this (2012). From the moment we arrived to our departure we were made so very welcome by the staff who made our stay so enjoyable. Our room was large, extremely clean and very comfortable and a welcome change to some of the other places we also encountered during our 3 week stay. The food was extremely good, particularly the delicious breakfast which made a welcome filling start to our busy days, days made so much easier to schedule with the help of Mr Malik the very hands on manager who's knowledgable experience of local tour guides and transport meant that we certainly got great value for our money (we were on a tight budget) and yet gained a wealth of remarkable
information from our excursions. Fond memories of a fabulous holiday - would definitely recommend to others to stay at Palm Garden.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SarahD66
Dortmund, Germany
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel is not located in the centre of the town, but the nice Drives will pick you up at the bus- or trainstation! The rooms are clean and comfortable, the food at the Restaurant (placed at the top of the guesthouse; great atmosphere) was delicious!!!! Free WiFi. Very nice, friendly and welcoming staff! You get there many informations! I you need a driver, they deal it for you in good conditions!

Nice place to stay!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BossekM
Middelburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at Palm Garden again. At this family run friendly guesthouse you will find a comfortable room, attached bathroom, spotless clean, good breakfast, quiet, and free wifi 24/7.
Just call them and they will send their own tuktuk (free of charge) to pick you up from the bus or railwaystation. The guesthouse is situated a little out of town but it is only a short Rs 150 ride to get to or from town. But there is also news cause the owner of palm garden will start a brandnew place close to the lake, Mango garden. Mango will open its doors in December, located close to the lake, it will only take a very short walk to town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tamara_arjan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2012

As a rule I would normally stay in a good star hotel while touring so when some young friends of mine asked me to join them at this guest house I was somewhat unsure as I had read some of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor. I was apprehensive about the prospect of staying two nights at this establishment as, in the past, I have stayed at some questionable guest houses in Sri Lanka. I was pleasantly surprised! My room was big albeit with limited storage space, however, there were drawers and hangers - which was all that was needed for my short stay. The bed was clean and comfortable with freshly laundered bed sheets. The shower room was clean and with hot water. These basics are very important for me!
The food served was excellent and the breakfasts were delicious. The cook is an absolute gem. In fact, all the staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming.

The guest house is well positioned to visit all the tourist sites and less than one euro for a ten minute tuk tuk ride to the centre of town. While there I booked a short tour and the price compared favourably to other local tour operators. Both the driver and vehicle were first class.
A muddy stream runs at the back of the guest house and a few reviewers have mentioned the smell. I did not experience any smells from the river or otherwise, whilst I was there.
If I had taken notice of some of the reviews on TA regarding the Palm Garden guest house I would have missed out on a delightful experience in Kandy. I would certainly recommend this establishment to any tourist travelling on a budget.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank dogwalker2011
United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I booked this due to its description as being near the train station, as i had an early train the next day. It's no nearer than any of the guesthouses in the centre of Kandy, although it is only. 100-150R tuk tuk ride. I read a few reviews and have to say that I experienced no road noise and no funky smell. I was very impressed with my room. Big, clean, smart, free wifi. Great. The only criticism of the room was the tears in the mozzie net. On the downside, the extras aren't value for money - get breakfast elsewhere, and buy water before you get there. They weren't doing dinner the night I was there so I can't comment. A service charge is also added to the final bill, but I am finding more and more places in Sri Lanka are doing this, so its not a specific criticism of Palm Garden

Room Tip: I was on the side away from the road and wasn't aware of any noise at all
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo