Ways to Experience Kandy View Point
from $39.47
from $54.00
from $19.00
More Info
All reviews viewing platform tuk tuk entire city birds eye view buddha statue must visit place worth a visit viewpoint photos lake overview vihara beauty souvenirs monkeys tourists sri
Selected filters
Reviewed May 10, 2019 via mobile

Nice place to visit to kandy city with lake in this place 100% suitable for all lovely travellers arround the world.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank sherry_dissa
Reviewed May 9, 2019

I spent 15 days in Sri Lanka. Out of the 15 days, I spent 4 days in Kandy. I took the train from Colombo to Kandy, stayed at Kandy for 2 nights, then took the public bus to Dambulla and Sigiriya. After visiting the Dambulla Caves and the Sigiriya Lion Rock, I returned to Kandy. I stayed for another 1 night at Kandy before heading to Ella and Nuwara Eliya. I then returned to Kandy again, stayed for 1 night before departing for Colombo and back home to Singapore.

Kandy is a walkable town with an immersive Buddhist culture studded with colonial architectural buildings. But the busy town is too hectic and polluted with mad rush of the public transport and cars. I do not feel the natural rustic charm of Kandy Lake even when I took a leisure walk around it. The exhaust fumes from the passing by vehicles can quickly fill up my lungs with an abundance of toxic carbon monoxides and chemicals. But Kandy View Point changed my biased perception of Kandy.

The road that lead to the View Point lies just opposite the Kandy Police Station and not far from the Tourist Information Center. There is no signboard or any directional sign to point to you the steep road up. But within the town area, you hardly see any road that go up a slope except that road opposite the Police Station.

I woke up very early the following morning, had my breakfast at one of the restaurants and commenced my slow walk up. I was the only one ascending the steep road but there were a number of residents coming down going to work. I then came to a junction where I saw a signboard that stated `Senior Deputy Inspector General of Police' and I saw a big bungalow with an officer stood guard in the house compound and I believe the Deputy Inspector General resided in the house.

From here, I walked further up and there was another signboard that stated `Sri Mahabodhi Maha Viharaya' and an arrow sign showed 200 m. After walking for 200 m, I eventually saw the gigantic white washed Buddha statue looming high in the elevated temple. The Buddha sculpture was impressive. Far at the Kandy Temple near the Kandy Lake, I could clearly see this white Buddha statue firmly seated at the summit of the mountain and the sculpture glowed brilliantly at night.

Coming down from the temple, I was mesmerized by the beautiful scenic landscape below the hill flooded in crimson by the morning sunlight. The surrounding was just so peaceful and calm. The natural rustic charm of Kandy revealed herself like a gorgeous lady standing in front of me. I felt so energized and rejuvenated after visiting this view point.

The hill scenery of Kandy deserved a look. Do not miss this hike to the View Point. It is worth the climb.

Date of experience: March 2019
8  Thank ah tee s
Reviewed April 27, 2019

on the top of the place can see Bahirawakanda meditation Buddhist statue,very attractive view,must visit place in Kandy

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank thikeena
Reviewed April 23, 2019

An amazing view point of the whole kandy city. a good place to photograph the kandy temple and the long city streets. best times are early morning or the evening.

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed April 21, 2019 via mobile

After a drive up the mountain we came to view point. The view is amazing. You see lush green mountains and the Buddha statue

Date of experience: April 2019