Castle Hill
Priceline
$64
Hotwire.com
$175
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Amazing view of Kandy from the house, even the location is great but I had one of the worse experience ever. For a person who is never fussy and easy going, this place took tolerance to the next level. Was told hot water would take 10 minutes...then 30 minutes and I waited 2 hours and still no hot water. Owner/manager was out of the country, rang her to politely ask her is it was possible if I used another bathroom to shower (wasn't even asking to change rooms!) as there was no one there. All I got was her getting defensive and telling me everything was fine and I didn't know what I was doing. Like I'm not a child, I gave it 3 hours in total and if there is still not hot water, from the previous night than there is something wrong with the system. The staff was sweet enough to get to a portable cabin with running hot water.

Another thing that was out of place was things going bump in the night. I was a solo traveler so I noticed a few things a miss when I checked in. The tap in the bathroom went on in the middle of the night... the fan speed kept changing...and a few things just didn't seem where I'd left them.

This place was over priced for what it is, and for the little freak incident, I'm will not recommend this place to anyone...also the power goes off!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Roshy21
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family and I stayed for two days at this property during the 2013 Kandy Esara Perahera. Castle Hill's location is very good and it has excellent views of Kandy downtown / Tooth Temple from its garden. I tis located fifteen minutes downhill to Kandy's city center. Midway - you will walk in front of one of the kandian dancers "theater" / showplaces. Old atmosphere? achieved by this guesthouse. Having said that, it is a poorly maintained B&B, and its management has no notion of cleanness (see attached images of room no.3's bathroom) and customer service. We did not have any problem with the property "smelling its age" (even expected this nice feature), but we certainly had issues with its smell reflecting lack of cleaning. The breakfast is very poor, and although scheduled twice for an specific time, it was never ready in time and we always had to wait for 30+ minutes for it to be served ... . Finally, we booked a room with TV, and upon arrival we found out that rooms at Castle Hill do not have TVs. On a positive note: wireless internet access is in relative terms not bad from a speed standpoint. IMPORTANT: although when asked they Castle Hill does not provide neither accommodation nor food for your driver. That means that you would eventually need to cover this as extra costs. Overall, we consider that this guesthouse is somehow overpriced considering what they offer in term of property features AND service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sergio K
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights in the castle hill villa. We felt kinda lost when we checked in because the manager was not there and we could not figure out who was in charge instead. The staff did not really seem to care.

The room was huge but not nice at all. The furniture is old and smells even older. They try to hide that bad smell but they don't succeed.

The hallway reminds more of a museum than a hotel or guesthouse. The breakfast is served at the big table in the living room. They didn't ask what we would like, so we got some fruits and toasts. The fruits were okay but there was a dark hair on the butter and the marmalade was inedible.

We wouldn't go there again because furthermore it was too expensive. The marvellous view of the tooth temple and the lake isn't worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank holymacaroni
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our stay at the Castle Hill Guest House was unfortunately one whole terrible experience.
We arrived with the train in Kandy and took a Tuk Tuk to the Guesthouse.
Upon arriving the view from the Guesthouse was beautiful and the house from the outside looked very appealing.
But it went downhill from there. A man who worked in the garden greeted us and asked us to have a seat in the lobby. The furniture in the lobby is from the 1950s which I didn't mind but it smelled old and musky and we had black feet as the floor was not clean.
The manager was not present and the man from the garden was clearly not up to the task of managing a guest house. He brought us to our room which was really huge and had the same old and musky smell as the lobby. The bathroom was not clean and I complained about the smell and the lack of cleanliness. He then used a spray can of air freshener and left without a word. We had planned to stay there for 2 nights but we did not feel welcome there at all so we talked to the employee and asked him if it was ok if we left one day earlier.
He immediately said it was no problem. 5 minutes later he came back and told us that he just talked to the manager and that we have to pay for both nights as we already signed in for 2 nights.
We weren't happy about that and I told him that he told me otherwise before but he just said he is only a servant and cannot decide things like that. I asked him to get the manager on the phone but he told me that this was not possible. I then asked him to organize a driver for the next morning to pick us up and drive us to Sigiria.
He left the room again to organize the driver and came back and told us that he has a driver but we have to pay the driver in advance. At this point I had experienced enough terrible customer service for one day and I demanded to talk to the manager but he refused to let me talk to her. My wife and I had the impression that this place tried to rip us off so we decided to leave the place immediately. The staff member insisted that we pay for both nights although we only spent a total of 30 minutes in the Guest House.
I wrote a mail to the Manager and gave her my feedback of our stay at her place and she refused to accept our feedback concerning cleanliness, customer service and the dubious practice of paying a driver in advance.
We had really amazing experiences in Sri Lanka and all accommodations have been welcoming and very pleasant except the Castle Hill Guest House.
There are so many great places to stay in Kandy, stay away from this one!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ali-olio-aloha
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I heard about this place from other travellers in Colombo and what a beautiful place! I couldn't understand why drivers and guides tried to take me elsewhere until a local chap told me that the owner will not pay guides to bring tourists there which is common in Sri Lanka. The guide who took me had one hell of a row with the owner when she would not give him a fat fee! It doesn't make the owner popular with guides and touts but it makes it even cheaper for us.

The house and garden are beautiful and the views breathtaking. The rates are very reasonable and the food is good especially the Sri Lankan breakfast. The owner takes time to make one feel welcome and will offer advice on how not to get ripped off by local "guides". Kandy itself is crawling with rip off merchants so take notice of what the owner says. She regularly has to refuse entry to locals and travellers who want to book rooms 'by the hour' so you will be safe here. I have stayed here with my wife and by myself several times and will do again. Very highly recommended. SMRP

• Stayed: December 2012