“Poor customer service”

Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Kandy
London, United Kingdom
“Poor customer service”
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel with poor customer service from the manager down

I was looked out of our room due to a faulty key card and door lock.

This was for 12 hours plus. We could only get in if a member if staff opens the door with a special key and even then they took 25 mins to arrive

When I complained the manager offered 4000 rupees off our bill (less than £20). And then had the cheek to add the taxes back on making the reduction on out bill around £12) our total bill excluding the three rooms we had was over £200

We have cancelled our next trip to the hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank mick7020
EarlsRegent, Guest RelationsTeam at Earl's Regent Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and sincerely apologize for not meeting with your expectations. Your comments are highly appreciated for further improvement and development and once again thank you for taking time off your busy schedule to bring these concerns to our attention. Looking forward to welcoming you back at Earl’s Regent.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Chippenham
Reviewed February 4, 2014

A very impressive looking new hotel where check in was swift and efficient. Our room was plenty big enough, very well equipped with a very large comfy bed. The bathroom was also spotlessly clean. The view from the balcony was not great and we would definitely recommend when booking this hotel you insist on a room with a pool view. The pool is not that big however was spotlessly clean with enough beds and chairs and a very prompt service offered by the bar staff. The hotel is very isolated so unless you want to take a taxi ride the hotel bar and restaurant are your only choices. The bar was splendidly comfortable with an excellent selection of drinks at reasonable prices. The restaurant was also very good with a very good breakfast buffet offering enough variety to satisfy most tastes. Dinner was also a buffet with no apparent al la carte option. Whilst the buffet was very tasty with plenty of choices and reasonably priced it was my wife's birthday so it wasn't really what we were looking for. Add to this that the hotel seems to mainly cater for touring groups then dinner takes on a bit of a school dinner hall ambiance. Our first night coincided with Chinese New Year and the couple of coach loads of Chinese guests were having an absolutely fantastic evening with wine and karaoke in abundance which was great fun to watch. Whilst we have no real criticism of the hotel because of the dining choice we would not revisit. We would recommend the hotel to friends and family however would caveat that recommendation with regards to the dinner options.

Room Tip: A room with a pool view is essential.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
EarlsRegent, Guest Relations Team at Earl's Regent Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Just like some of the other reviews, I too was confused initially thinking that I was booking the Earls Regency which had come highly recommended and then finding out that I had in fact booked the Earls Regent instead. This happened because my partner and I were desperate to get away between Christmas and New Years and everything in Kandy was fully booked, so when 2 nights opened up here, we booked it in haste thinking we had booked the Earls Regency! To straighten a few things out, I think a lot of people are wondering how a hotel in Kandy can be allowed to be named the Earls Regent when the Earls Regency, a hotel with a great reputation and name already exists in town – wouldn't this lead to much confusion such as what I experienced? Well the answer is simple – they are both owned by the same parent company. The Earls Regent is their new hotel in Kandy and it is literally the newest hotel in town as parts of it were still under construction when we arrived. When I think of hotels in Kandy, a lot of them are old and stuffy so this was a breath of fresh air. Very modern and new.
We arrived shortly after 2pm to check in. We were greeted by the nice staff and were then offered cold hand towels and drinks while we filled in our details. The drinks offered were a choice of either papaya or wood apple, neither of which were liked by my other half even though I did enjoy the papaya one. It would have been nice to offer something more mainstream such as orange or pineapple etc. in addition. Our first problem started when I was told that there was no room to accommodate our driver (we drove up from Colombo) for the 2 nights we had planned. I had phoned up a few days in advance and requested this, so was disappointed to see that my driver could not be accommodated after being told a spot for our vehicle and driver would be available. It took over an hour with me speaking to the general manager before accommodation was found for him at another hotel and that I would have to pay for out of my own pocket (it would have been free had he been able to stay at the Earls Regent), so not a good start! At check in we were told that our room was a pool view room, however after our bags were collected and we arrived at the room, we found it was a rear view room. A little too late to fix that.

The first room was rather spacious. The room is a rear view room so the view from the balcony /outdoor area is rather bad as it is looking further up the hill, so not much of a view at all. The good thing however is that there is plenty of room including a sofa seat. Since this hotel is brand new (only open for 2 months according to several staff we spoke too), everything in the room is new. The bed in the first room did not have a headboard which we both found surprising! Our heads were literally up against the bare wall. There were also only two pillows on the bed, one per person. In the years of travelling, I have never experienced so few pillows in any hotel bed. At minimum I would expect 2 pillows each. 1 to be used as a temporary headboard haha! There is ample room for hanging clothes etc., including an in room safe in the closet. One thing we didn't like about the placement of the bed was that when the room door is open, the bed can be clearly seen from the outside hallway. Not much privacy when people are walking past and the room door is open whilst a staff member is inside attending to things. The bed should really be on the other side of the room. The bathrooms were clean and nice, the only issue is that the glass is clearly see through. Not the frosted kind. So I find it puzzling that on one set of bathroom glass they have shutters and the other side they have a design which has large spaces where you can clearly see right through – in both directions. No privacy here. I would only recommend this type of room if you’re totally comfortable with the person you are sharing! In the evening we decided to go out to meet friends for dinner so phoned reception to request an iron/ironing board to iron our clothes. It took over 1.5 hours to get an iron to our room and I literally had to make 11 phone calls to reception. I really have to wonder what kind of experience staff have dealing with room service. Every time I called, I kept getting told it would be done and that they would see to it personally. It really should not take nearly 2 hours to get an ironing board sent to the room. There is clearly a break in the chain in how customer requests are dealt with, starting at reception and there is clearly no follow up to see that tasks have been completed. During the night, we had 2 power cuts in the space of 20 minutes that lasted about 5 minutes each! You would think that a hotel of this calibre would at least have a generator! After midnight we experienced our 3rd power cut which lasted much longer – about 20 minutes. Not the kind of thing you expect, especially since the room is pitch black. They should have emergency signs above the door that automatically light up in case of power failure guiding you outside. We could hear a lot of other residents outside in the corridor complaining about the power issue. After the power finally came back, we settled in to watch some TV and fall asleep. This however was short lived, because we could hear water dripping and it sounded like someone was having a shower. Thin walls we thought! I got up to check our bathroom and found that there was water seeping through from the ceiling above the sink area and it was as if someone had taken the shower hose and sprayed the inside of our bathroom! The entire top counter was covered in water and so was the floor. Surprised that such a newly built hotel would have plumbing issues! On the plus side, the spa bath was very nice even though it felt very small. For some reason the bathroom taps (faucets) have still not made it onto the bath, although the wall tile is cut out with a bare pipe sticking out where the taps will probably be fitted. Be careful if you have kids – I didn’t really expect to see work in progress literally in the bath! In the end I had to fill the bath using the shower which took a much longer time. The room had 2 complimentary bottles of mineral water and there is a kettle for tea and coffee with sugar/sweeteners provided. Watch out for the smell however, the recent construction gives some of these rooms an odour and I’m not talking the nice kind like that of fresh new wood or a new car leather seat smell, I’m talking a bad odour.

The next day I made a complaint to the management about the water situation and also requested that we be moved to a pool view room. The manager was happy to do so apologising and accommodating us, so that was nice. We went out for the day and were told we could get the new room when we return, so upon returning we checked into our new room and this room definitely was much better.

The 2nd room we had (a pool facing room) was smaller, but it seemed more complete. The bed had a head board, however we still only had one pillow each. The bed in the pool facing room was not in direct line when the room door was open so that was much better. Even though this room was smaller, it definitely felt like this room was finished and much more complete compared to our first room which felt it was still being worked on. In this room like the other one, the mini bar was completely empty. I couldn't believe my eyes – a hotel that wasn't trying to make us spend more money! Well more room for our water bottles to be chilled I guess. When I went to make a cup of tea, I noticed a problem. The kettle has a Sri Lankan plug but all the wall sockets by the desk where the kettle is sitting on have UK plugs. I found a Sri Lankan wall socket closer to the balcony door so I had to put the kettle on the floor every time I wanted to use it. This is not very safe and it is really shocking that nobody chose to either change the plugs on the kettles to be UK plugs or to fit a Sri Lankan socket as one of the 3 wall sockets by the desk. Its small things like this that annoy me. Also when the room was being prepared for us, the attendant forgot to restock the coffee and tea! Luckily I was able to restock it myself from a cart that was left outside in the corridor (see below and photo’s.) After the fiasco of trying to get an iron in our previous room, when we switched rooms we decided to bring the iron and ironing board into this room with us. I was not interested in waiting for hours for a request a second time! The bathroom in this smaller room had no spa bath, but did have a nicer more spacious shower. So either you get a spa bath with a shower head or you get a standalone shower. Like in our previous room, there were only 2 big towels and 2 small hand towels. While we made good use of these, a few more towels (small and big) would have been helpful. Especially now that I know phoning reception for anything takes so long to get done, at least a few extra towels if needed, would be there.

There is good free WiFi throughout the hotel. The log in and password are provided on a little slip of paper in the wallet of your room key card when checking in. We always had a good signal where ever we went. This hotel is not that big so signal problem should not be an issue.

The restaurant is large and spacious with ample room for everyone with the option of also sitting outside. The breakfast buffet every morning is nice with a large selection of western and local delights. There is a live omelette/egg station for specific requests. On Saturday nights, the hotel likes to go a little extra by providing a live band and we were told they would be doing a BBQ night, so decided to have dinner at the hotel for one night. The music was entertaining with the local band playing a bunch of cover versions. The outdoor restaurant seating near the pool for the hotel is nice, especially at night. However don’t make the mistake we made – make sure you reserve a table if you plan to sit outdoors, especially for dinner as most of the tables are reserved, leaving you with only the option of sitting inside the restaurant, which is fine but not as nice or romantic. The dinner selection was good but we felt a little disappointed when we were told it was BBQ night because we expected several grills with a variety of meats and all we saw was a small single station with a few skewers and small pieces of meat/fish to eat. In fact 90% of the other dishes were the normal regular type of foods we would expect at a dinner buffet, like western foods such as pasta and eastern foods such as curries etc. Hardly a reason to call this BBQ night! The other live station was a rice/pasta station which had the longest queue I have ever experienced in a hotel buffet. The chef was a young person who clearly was not experienced at doing things fast and given that it was a packed night the wait was very long. In the end I got bored waiting since what I had served on my plate was getting cold so decided to go eat that and return later. Even when I returned the line was just as long. Eventually someone at the hotel realised what was happening and put two more experienced chefs to handle the live station whilst demoting the younger chef which got things moving much more quickly. It just baffles me why management would put someone so inexperienced to run a station that requires a bit of speed? It is also worrying when you see a queue so long (over 20 people) for one station and for over 15 minutes nobody in management is seeing this as a problem and quickly rearranging staff to reduce the delay. They did eventually, but why did it take them so long to react? I wouldn't be so bothered by all of this if dinner was included in our package but it wasn't (I would have taken it had it been offered) so for the fact that I have to pay extra for dinner, I expect the standard and service to be better. I’m not really sure why this hotel on the few booking sites it offers reservations – does not offer a half board option (breakfast/dinner) and only sticks to a breakfast only option. It’s not like Kandy city has 100’s of nice restaurants that we are spoilt for choice so it is most likely that guests would find it easier to have dinner at the hotel than venturing out, especially since the centre of town is a good 20 minutes away.

The staff at the hotel could be split into 2 categories. Either they were very nice and smiled and always accommodated you and checked to see you were happy with things or it was the total opposite. The servers in the restaurant were very nice and friendly and a couple of them struck up a conversation with me. It was nice to see them being openly friendly. This was also true of the pool attendant who was always nice and friendly, every time I came to have a swim. On the flip side, several times when I walked passed staff members from place to place, as they passed me by I would smile – but they would not do so and not even make eye contact! I really feel that management should alert staff to make eye contact and at least smile when they walk pass hotel guests. It isn't asking for much and it gives us a good impression of them and the hotel. The last impression they should want is to have guests feel as if the staff are unfriendly.

This hotel is so new it is still being constructed. 90% of it is done, however there is still work in progress. The biggest one is the building alongside the driveway which will accommodate future staff and drivers. The entrance and driveway are still under construction too. There seems to be a lot of things that still need to be finished, whether it is the bathtub taps or the driveway from the main road to the hotel entrance. Even if it isn't things that still need fixing however there were other issues, like linen/room carts being dumped at the end of the corridor overnight. Given that these were along the path between the lifts (elevators) and the rooms – it isn't a nice sight to see a huge mess as we walk to our room. Also on many occasions, beds and mattresses were left in the hallway alongside rooms. It seems the staff are too lazy to remove extra beds from rooms and take them out of sight to be brought back later to another room when they would be needed. They seem to prefer just to dump them in the hallway and keep them there until the next requested room needs them. One great thing about this hotel is that it seems to be mainly catered for by package tourists who are in large groups. There were a lot of British, Italian and Indian tour groups during our stay. These groups have breakfast and then go on tours for the full day returning in the evening. As a result, during the day this hotel is like a ghost town! If you want peace and quiet – the day time is best! The pool is empty with not a soul. So if you want to just lounge by the pool and take it easy, then this hotel is nice. But since most tourists who come to Kandy do so for the local sites, it isn't really a shock that there is no one during the day. If your idea of coming to Kandy is just to relax without going anywhere, then this hotel is ideal.

Staff overall were either very friendly and efficient or not at all. This can be seen from the 11 phone calls I had to make to get an iron sent to my room. Also my initial call to have a spot reserved for my driver and my car went overlooked. Even though the person on the phone assured me there would be space, he didn't actually look to check and see that the hotel would be full and the spots would have all been taken by other drivers who had already arrived before us. Also the lady working the reception telling me our room was a pool facing room when it wasn't. Staff who work at the reception would clearly be in a position to know which rooms face where. Would I recommend this hotel? Yes, in about 6 months. However with the ongoing construction both externally (driveway / certain areas of the hotel) and internally (bathtub taps / water leaks) there is still work that needs to be addressed. When we booked this hotel, we were never under the impression that it was still under construction. We assumed it was complete and running! Also there is the issue of staff – both in term of courteousness and efficiency. If staff don’t want to smile back at me as I walk pass them then fine, but it shouldn't take 11 phone calls and 1.5 hours to request an iron for my room! So clearly how customer requests are taken and handed down to be executed needs to be addressed by management. Getting things done cordially and efficiently is not this hotels strong point. Overall we enjoyed our stay, but the hotel being so new means there are still several teething problems that need to be addressed. Once those are done, this hotel will be very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room. You get a great view. Rooms on the opposite side are facing the hill/slope...
3 Thank OMGitsShan
EarlsRegent, Guest Relations Team at Earl's Regent Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and sincerely apologize for not being able to live up to your expectations. Your comments are taken very seriously by us and would definitely take preventive measures in the future. We value your time and effort to keep us informed of the areas of concern and do regret very much not being able to leave pleasant memories of Earls Regent with you on this occasion. Thanking you once again while looking forward to welcoming you back at Earls Regent
ranchi
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We were a group of 15 and we recently stayed in this property in the last week of December 2013. We did not expect the hotel to be this good. The buffet dinner was lavish and unending. Breakfast spread was also nice. There was ample variety for vegetarians,When the hotel staff came to know that we are vegetarians they added a lot of vegetarian items in the breakfast. The rooms were very spacious with large and comfortable beds. A bit far away from the city centre though . Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
EarlsRegent, Guest Relations Team at Earl's Regent Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed our food and the services provided during your stay at Earls Regent. Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We will definitely share your thoughts with our team and they will be pleased to hear your kind words while looking forward to welcoming you back at Earls Regent.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I were totally impressed with this new hotel. There was a bit of confusion with the Earl's Regency Hotel which I thought we were going to... but when we arrived there around 7th Dec 2013, our driver jokingly said the Earl's Regent Hotel was still being built!The area that led towards the hotel then, seemed to be a hive of activity. However, when we entered the hotel lobby we were presented with a lovely flower each and a welcome refreshing drink. Everything had a clean and fresh look about it. The staff that greeted us were extremely friendly and gracious. As we were taken to our room I was rather pleased to see the lovely, inviting pool. I was totally thrilled with the entire surrounding ambiance. The room was so clean and as it was still new I was totally impressed with the decor too. The view from the balcony is rather breath taking. It was so peaceful! A little peace of Heaven for me. The service was really impeccable too...despite the fact that they had not started their laundry service, the staff took our laundry and had it done for us. It was delivered promptly the next day all clean and smelling exceptionally good!The food was great and the entertainment on Saturday night when they had two singers sing "oldies" was a real treat. My husband was so totally relaxed he was actually humming along too!It was really a great stay and we would definitely go back there again!

Room Tip: Higher floors give a very scenic view!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
EarlsRegent, Guest Relations Team at Earl's Regent Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us and glad you enjoyed the experience. Your kind sentiments are highly valued and appreciate taking time off your busy schedule to inspire us do even better. Looking forward to welcoming you back at Earls Regent.
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Reviewed January 5, 2014

90/91 Dental Surgeons Association Annual Batch Get together was organized by me and Dr.Kapila Arambawatta ,on 4th & 5th of January .
The corporation extended towards the success of the program by the management staff was superb . The rooms were fabulous and the bathrooms were spotless. The food spread and the taste was beyond expectation.we had a wonderful stay .

Dr.Diana Gunawardena

Room Tip: the rooms which are facing the pool have a very good view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
EarlsRegent, Guest Relations Team at Earl's Regent Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and glad you enjoyed the experience. Your kind sentiments and comments are appreciated while looking forward to welcoming you back at Earls Regent.
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Hotel and food was great. Can’t fault it. It’s in Peradeniya and not Kandy though. We stayed for xmas and enjoyed the service and the food greatly. There is some confusion locally as there is an Earl's Regent and Earl's Regency, poor choice of name in the same vicinity (both owned by same chain). Would recommend to stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and glad you enjoyed the experience. Your kind sentiments and comments are very much appreciated while looking forward to welcoming you back at Earls Regent.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
Earl's Regency
Theva Residency
Theva Residency
#1 of 1 in Hantana
The Richmond House Kandy

Been to Earl's Regent Hotel? Share your experiences!