1,556 results
All reviewskandy lakepool areasri lankagreat viewnew wingbalcony doornice poolbuffet dinneroverlooking the lakelovely hotelstayed here for nightsrestaurant staffbuffet styletooth relic templetop floorrooms are largeone night stay
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We only stayed one night of our 4 nights booked. I have stayed at Thilanka twice before in years past but standards have slipped dramatically in the intervening years. Maintenance is the main problem - rusting railings, dirty walls, mottled ceilings, gaping holes in the woodwork - these are all things that might be easily fixed but they were bad enough that we wanted to leave immediately. I should add that the hotel is in a superb setting and has the potential to be outstanding (and indeed it used to be) but it seems to have fallen into some disrepair.

Some suggestions:

1. Some landscaping for the concrete slab terrace most of the rooms look out onto. A garden/seating area perhaps? As it is, the grubby, puddled waste-of-space is something of an eyesore.
2. Wireless connectivity - The computer had 1 computer in a little room beside the front desk that did not work. Not good enough.
3. Maintenance, maintenance, MAINTENANCE.

I would love for this place to turn it around as it was a favourite and could be again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Luckychips
Reviewed December 28, 2010

I have stayed here many times as I live in Sri lanka but have never put a report in before. This hotel gets mixed reviews but when you look most in Kandy do. Its all about expectation. For the money and location his hotel is the best option. I have looked at the smaller places like Sharron Inn, Freedom Lodge etc and found them to be clean but very basic. Thilanka has maybe 5 options for rooms so if someone organises it for you make sure they are getting the good rooms. The top floor has good rooms with fantastic views and are not overlooked and so you can leave the curtains open. The food is as good as anywhere in kandy including the expensive resorts. This hotel is more than adequate for touring base and as i live here i go for a 2 or 3 night break just for relaxing and a bit of urban buzz as the lonely Planet says! I love Kandy and never tire of visiting it. If I stay 3 nights though i will take one night for a meal and helgas folly is well worth a dinner out just for the experience! The woodpecker bar is a bit dark and lifeless but it is a bar and I can enjoy a nightcap there. I have heard the hotel is to be refurbished which would be great for the old rooms but will the price soar?

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Second hotel stay of our 12 days tour; hotel Thilanka is set on a hill with a stunning view over the city of Kandy and the lake. As usual we arrived late in the afternoon, under the usual shower.. but the view fro my room immediately made me feel better. The white enlightened Buddha on the hill in front of the hotel seemed to be looking at me.... the nice pool.. the spa (that I only had the time to visit)... and the hotel jewelry.... I did my first stones' shop there...
All in all the hotel setting, restaurant and room service where excellent; food at breakfast and dinner was good but nothing very amazing- bbq was excellent indeed.The rooms are very big and well furnished, but my room smelled of humidity, probably due to the heavy rains. This did not effected my stay at Thilanka, as I did not spend too much time inside, and infact I did not complained with the manager. I'm sure that, when all the monkeys will be gone away, seating on the terrace with that view will be a real unforgettable experience...

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Hotel is in good location for sightseeing in Kandy. Rooms are nice. Watch for monkeys visiting in morning. Spa is tucked away offering massage services. Pool area is very nice.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed November 16, 2010

The best part about Hotel Thilanka is the location! The balconies face the beautiful lake in Kandy and is a good place to relax if you are not threatened by monkeys. It really feels like we are intruding in their area as they are plenty in number and keep visiting the balconies every now and then. It was something that actually was enjoyable for my little daughter as it kept her busy and entertained. The other good things in the room was the bathroom. Spacious and well maintained..the shower could have been better though. The room is very simple yet elegant. Some simple wooden furniture and stands fixed on the wall. The size of the rooms are also huge. I can vouch for this as my child enjoyed playing and she was satisfied with the space. This is something which we rarely get. I also managed to use the kettle for boiling water for my daughter for her food. The one thing that I disliked in the room is the mattress of the beds. It wasn’t very comfortable probably because they are too old. I think they could very well be changed. The AC in the room was also not in the best condition but we didn’t have any major issue. The food served at the hotel is of good quality and also gives a taste of the srilankan cuisine. We took the buffet for dinner which was quite an elaborate one with also some 4-5 items for the dessert. You also have live music from a band who comes to every table and tries to play a number of their choice. We could not have the luxury of hearing out our fav because my little daughter got cranky midway and we had to pack up early and go to the room! The breakfast menu was also good. There is a big spread from continental to Srilankan cuisine. You definitely have a good choice. The staff is very cheerful and helpful. Good room service as there are many ppl who are all over the place to help you. The hotel is very ideally located as it is walking distance from both the temple of tooth and the art and culture centre. You should visit the dance show which happens at the Kandyan art and culture centre every evening at 5.30 pm. Always book the hotel through your travel agent who can pass on a good discount that they get onto you. Our tour guide (www.srilankanaturetravels.com) was very good to pass on all the discount to us. All in all it was a fairly good experience and I wouldn’t mind back for a longer stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family