“Nice Hotel”
Review of Hotel Thilanka

Hotel Thilanka
Ranked #13 of 56 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed December 13, 2008

Stayed here on the second night of our four day tour. We were a little apprehensive after the standard of our first night's hotel, however were quite happy with the tour operator's choice this time. The room was quite spacious and clean. I was a bit concerned with the bedding as the sheets seemed to be well used and they should be replaced. Good breakfast buffet . A nice hotel for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissyQw8

Reviewed October 21, 2008

I got this hotel through my driver and paid US45 for a single room/b'fast/dinner.
I had the best rooms which include an open air secure foyer in front of each double room. It was quite clean and would have suited a honeymoon couple. The TV had hopeless reception, and I didnt have hot water one morning, but it was a unique and enjoyable experience. The swimming pool needed the side tiles wiped of soil, but everything else about the hotel was spotless. The staff were the best I encountered in Sri Lanka, helpful and appeared to enjoy their jobs and lives.
Great views over the man made lake, monkeys howling at sunset, bats swooping at dusk.
I did have a problem when I left with Reception, my organised buffet dinner on the first night was taken at 6.00pm, when the restaurant opened at 7.00pm. Even though my buffet was prepaid, I had to pay 800R extra because I ate before that 7.00pm curfew. I got pissed with their inability to be flexible and reasonable (I didn't meet many SL's who were able to make a decision) so didn't tip the staff , and I felt really mean for taking it out on them.
Summary:
Thilanka is a very good hotel to stay at.
The staff are very good.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Balinova
Reviewed September 29, 2008

Just read the other reviews and had to double check that we were all speaking about the same place. We stayed here for one night as part of a tour. It was arranged by our driver who was aware that it was my husbands birthday. We were shown to our room where they had decorated the room with a sign and petals on the bed.

The room was lovely, amazing views, very clean and spacious.

The food was very good and the staff very attentive.

I can only speak as I find and we were very happy with the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WORLDLIKEUS
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Stayed here for the second time and having previously given a good review I feel a need to balance that out having had a terrible room, poor service and witnessed the poor food.

• Stayed: August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Eagle
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I am so surprised to see such great reviews about this place, honestly... stunned! We arranged 2 nights hereduring the Perhera festival and were shown a brochure by a tour operator which made it look like a 5 star hotel. After roughing it in some cheap guesthouses we were really looking forward to some luxury and at $70 a night, and seeing the sumptious rooms in the brochure we were excited. When we arrived our mouths dropped open. The room was skanky, grim, wallpaper peeling, 2 single beds pushed together, really basic bathroom, rust round the taps and no hot water (despite the man who took us to our room showing us the hot tap proudly?!?). Yes the views are lovely from the pool but you know what, comfort and cleanliness is more important to me. You can go for a drink somewhere like this to see the view. Anyway after the Perhera we got back late and tired and got into bed only to both jump up 15 minutes later very itchy. We turned on all the lights and saw that the sheets were FILTHY and had big stains as well as bed bugs and we had been bitten several times. It was now 2am and when we called reception they sent up some poor 15 year old boy who just looked blankly at the dirty sheets and shrugged 'i change sheets?' we said no, we need to be moved to a new room immediately. We were moved half an hour later to an equally shabby rooms whose sheets were also stained though thankfully no apparent bed bugs this time. The following morning we approached the manager who couldnt care less, didnt seem at all surprrised or concerned and just kept saying 'we dont do refunds'. This was the only bad place we stayed in Sri Lanka duringa whole month and left a really bad taste. PLEASE DO NOT GO THERE! We have stayed in $10 a night guesthouses and $200 boutique hotels in this country, all fabulous and all clean. This place is a disgrace.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank charlisays
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We stopped at the Thilanka for one night as part of a tour. We had two rooms and these were great.

Both rooms were on the top floor and we (the parents) had a corner room (Room 690 I think), so we not only had great views from the balcony but also to the left over the swimming pool. We also had a small extra room with seating and the whole room was extremely spacious. The beds were comfy. We found the monkeys very entertaining. The food was fairly average but sufficient.

I would book this hotel again though, simply for the views and the location.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Thank Whereshallwego2next?
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Date of visit: 21st July 2008
We only stayed at the Thilanka for one night, based on a personal recommendation by our driver/guide Sunil. It was perfect for our needs, being on the hill above Kandy, but close to the city, the Temple of the Tooth and the venue for one of the best Kandyan dance groups. Our room was large and well appointed, with a huge balcony and double windows giving fantastic views over Kandy. Less perfect was the bathroom, which could have been more modern & bigger. The food was good too, although we had been spoilt by our stay at the Kandelamar the previous two nights - a very hard act to follow!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple