“A good central place to stay”
Review of Hotel Thilanka

Hotel Thilanka
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Kandy
“A good central place to stay”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Built on a hill the hotel offers a great view of Kandy especially at night. It is centrally located just a short walk from the buddha's tooth temple. The pool and bar area are comfortable without being brilliant. Rooms are clean and comfortable, just make sure you keep the verandah doors closed or the monkeys will come in and steal. Usually sugar sachets. The restaurant is also good for yet another curry.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
Toronto
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Staff were friendly. Hotel is built on the slopes of a hill. Therefore had great views and lots of monkeys.

Other than that, the rooms and bathroom were not very clean. there weren't a lot of options in food either. The hotel needs some renovation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
thilankaKandy, Manager at Hotel Thilanka, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thank you for the review.This could be an over site of our staff.We will ensure all this areas are looked at with the management team.
Zürich
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We spent New Year's Eve in the Thilanka. We had a great room on the top floor with a spectacular view of the lake and Kandy. The room was very spacious and well appointed. There were a group of monkeys that annoyed some of the guests but which we found quite amusing.
All in all a good experience and good value.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went on family tour to Sri Lanaka. We were in the group of 2 couples. We booked the package including the hotel and transport online through Srilankatravelhouse.com , which gave us bulk cheap rates. We stayed in Thilanka for two days and three nights. We check in late night and had warm welcome. They quickly completed the check in process and take us to our rooms.

Location:
Hotel Thilanka is a boutique hotel nestled. This is the right place for peace lovers as the hotel has quiet surroundings. The hotel is situated 100 km away from International Airport so it took us almost 1 and a half hour to reach the hotel by the cab. On arrival to the hotel we had hearty reception.

Rooms:
We were offered deluxe rooms for stay. The rooms were awesome with marvelous interiors. All facilities were present in the room- mini bar, TV, tea/coffee maker, king size bed, sofa, wardrobes etc. Room has attached private balcony where you can enjoy your morning and evening cups of tea viewing the Kandy Lake. Wi Fi coverage is also available in the room.

Food:
Food was fabulous. We had very good buffet breakfast which was rich and had a large selection of pastries, eggs, salads, vegetables and cheese. Buffet dinner had large selection of rice and curry, pasta, fish, meat and vegetables that is perfect combination of western and eastern food.

Miscellaneous:
Staff was very professional and always keen to help you out. Service was personalized which makes you like home.

The swimming pool is very nice along with the bar and the restaurant where the local band music is played during night. They also provide services to the ayurvedic spa so we also tried it.
We also visited the main tourist attractions of Kandy- Botanical garden, Tooth temple and Elephant Orphanage.
The stay at Thilanka hotel is absolutely fabulous with lovely memories to share with everyone else.
Absolutely awesome trip in end

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Shiv P
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The great thing going for this hillside hotel is that its location affords great views of Kandy. I checked into a lake-facing standard room - the interior decor came as a shock to me. At close to $75/night, you'd expect a working television and switchboards that won't fall apart at the touch. The bed was comfortable at best, and the bathroom looked straight out of the 80s. Now, I guess a part of the hotel was built over meaning that there's a mid-level (also the pool level) where one has to change lifts to get to one's hotel room. Oh, and if you're looking to browse the web in your room, don't bother - you can't. The wifi works fine around the pool though. The breakfast buffet was substantial and the staff, friendly. Overall though, compared to the Thilanka in Dambulla (which was massively better), this property was a thorough dissappointment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank K S
agnes water
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at Thilanka for 1 night. Our room was very big with a balcony and a great view of the lake. Sitting on the balcony watching the monkies in the trees (and on your balcony) is awesome! Buffet breakfast was good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I practically ran out of this hotel and made my driver swear he would never let anyone else stay in the Thilanka in Kandy. Please look at my photos -- they show the real state of the room and when I saw the implements the cleaners were cleaning with, I understood why.

Firstly, the hotel is easily 5-10 years overdue for a complete overhaul. I saw the staff changing mattresses in some of the lower floors (really putting a plaster over a gunshot wound) and I won't describe what the mattresses they were discarding looked like. I will say however that my bathroom door was so water damaged at the bottom that it wouldn't close and the ceiling in the shower looked like it was going to drop down on me at any moment (see picture).

I'm not a prima donna though and have stayed in some bleak hostels in Nepal and throughout SE Asia, so worn out is not my complaint. Rather it is unbelievably, indescribably filthy. I am not exaggerating one bit if I say I slept in my clothes, wore flip flops in the shower and slathered my hands in spice balm so I wouldn't have to smell the room. The hotel was fully booked so I couldn't change rooms so when I called to complain about the overpowering urine smell and requested a re-clean (assuming it had been cleaned at all), they sent up staff with cinnamon spray to cover up rather than address the cause of the smell -- needless to say, by the time I returned from dinner, my room smelled like a urinal again. The shower was simply an added bonus, with a huge unidentified brown streak down the centre of the tub accompanied by what appeared to be an embedded dried out worm (see pictures once again). I barely slept, thinking about what was on the sheets/pillow/mattress and working out showering strategies in the morning. Had my reservation been for more than one night, I would have walked away from the room charge (that it was over $100 is just surreal) and moved to another hotel.

Not that I expected any niceties from a hotel that can't get it's rooms right, but the soap was of the 1950's over-perfumed variety, you couldn't use the balcony with views over Kandy because it was constantly occupied by monkeys and the wifi didn't work anywhere despite the staff looking at me and my iPad like I was a moron for not being able to figure it out (I talked to a number of guests that couldn't log on).

The only highlight was the staff, who were unfailingly polite and courteous, if rather ineffective.

Room Tip: As mine was such a disaster, I would advocate avoiding a room altogether.