All reviews swimming pool set menu restaurant staff third floor rooms are spacious nice pool hot water hill valley sri
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The only thing that this Hotel hs going for it is the View, the room we had was poor, the restaurant was awful, the bar seedy - our experience was somewhat soured by the fact that the air conditioning wasn't working when we returned to our room after an evening out, I was told that there weren't any other rooms available so they had to fix it - four different handy men later and it was fixed but dripping! I demanded that they would not leave us with a towel on the floor but complete the repair - eventually they did! The room was shabby, the bathroom ancient and without a mosquito net over the window. Our evening meal was poor with hardly any choice and when I bottle of warm white wine appeared I sent it back. If you arrange a trip to Kandy - arrange the hotel yourself!

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ralph P
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I felt like I was taken back in time when I entered the hotel, which I did not mind. The hotel was evidently very old, but would have been a good one had it been properly maintained. The staff were all very friendly, but below are the unconstructive "concerns" of the hotel:

---room was very dusty, an anti-histamine would be handy
---you have to pay a certain amount for 30-minute-wifi-connection, which must not be availed if not urgent since the connection was very very poor

We have requested to be transferred to another room as I have started to sneeze immediately after entering the room. The staff were very pleasant and immediately moved us to a deluxe room which was much better.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DyAngelina
Reviewed January 3, 2013

One can see that the hotel was once a beautiful hotel. Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be anything or very little done to maintain the hotel. Even the 3 stars they claim to be is undeserved. The room was barely furnished and whatever furniture they had have seen better days. The bathroom is just about serviceable and why would anyone install a shower curtain that in the middle of the bath tub is perplexing. Food was basic and don't order ala carte, the kitchen is extremely slow and disorganised. My order of a curry combo (taken from the buffet) too 40 minutes to get to the table.

One plus point is that the staff were friendly and try to please in spite of the challenges of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JoyLai
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We slept there 2 nights. Room was not big, but very comfortable, including AC and clean bathroom with hot water and all the bathroom utensils provided. We has a beautiful view from a tiny balcony. Also, the complementary breakfast was good - big choice of both Western and more Sri Lankan food. Our driver liked the driver's accommodation too.

On the bad side, there was a high fee for the internet, which is surprising considering the hotel tries to have a very western image.
The very steep driveway to the hotel could not be reached with a non-modern car - so watch out if you use an older vehicle.
The hotel is far from the nice part of Kandy.
It was quite costly.

Room Tip: The cheapest room was very alright.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aga_Ch
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We went to this hotel with very little expectations but it turned out to be a good one.
Pros:
Rooms were good at least cleanliness was there, hot water and AC was available. It also had a decent restaurant. The Complementary breakfast they provided was good also, having a lot of items. I would say, for spending USD 55 a night, I made a good decision.

Cons:
The Wifi Service at rooms were not upto the mark. Hardly got connected from my room. I needed to go to the Reception to use the Wifi.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family