“Centrally Located.”
Review of Queens Hotel Kandy

Queens Hotel Kandy
Ranked #31 of 57 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a big hotel located in the heart of Kandy, We were on a family vacation in Sri Lanka and choose this hotel as we want to stay in the centre of the city. If you are looking for a quiet place than this not the right hotel. The staff were very courteous and helpful. Kandy lake is just opposite the hotel and temple of tooth is road crooss away. Nothing much to do in Kandy city though. Breakfast menu is average and the worst is they have same menu for all days.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vikasagar
Write a ReviewReviews (1,101)

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We are a family of 4 (2 primary aged kids) had independently booked two rooms at this hotel for a night in September, and without doubt it was the worst hotel we stayed at in our two weeks in SL. On arrival (at 12.30pm) we were advised our rooms were not ready, but that we had been upgraded to a family room (Room 301) (with a supposed rack rate of USD300 per night for 4 pax).

Initially we declined however as we were advised no other rooms were available for inspection so had accepted what was on offer, as we were only staying one night.

The room was sparsely furnished, the main bed was a double bed, and sat no higher than a futon off the ground, the single beds appeared to be of colonial vintage (that is not a compliment), the television did not work, and there was no blankets or fridge in the room.

While there we witnessed hotel management working hard to accomodate the numerous organised tour groups which arrived after us and appeared to be well catered for, however if you book independently it appears you are not so well regarded.

I discussed theses issues with management who offered me a complimentary night the next night due to the problems with the room. I declined the offer as I had alternate arrangements. In reality I would have declined even if I was staying on in Kandy. I will return to Kandy, but not the Queen's.

In short I have I have stayed in Soviet era Youth Hostels with more charm and better amenity.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2012

In the 8 years since our last visit, there appears to be little done to maintain this old hotel. We popped into the Mountbatten Bar for a snack. The hamburger was as ragged as the furniture! Fries were barely warm, bun stale and meat, cut from a sausage! Avoid it!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Hotel with great location and great potential. Please start to renovate this place asap.
Everything about this place is so run down, staff is confused and antique in their thinking :D
Rooms are in terrible condition and the sleep quality was the worst i ever experienced.
This place i dont recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2012

...but with more decay! This place has a fine lobby, which is good, because you won't want to spend much time in your room: awful bed; dim lighting; only one wall socket, so you have to boil the tea kettle on the floor; no outside line access on phone, intercom only; plenty of scalding water in shower and sink, but cold water is delivered at a trickle; no bath tub stopper plug; no Wi-Fi (lobby only, and spotty at that); ancient analog TV with rabbit ears and snowy picture. The food at the breakfast buffet was cold, and you have to tackle a waiter twice to get a cup of coffee (why don't they just leave a tank of coffee by the juice bar and let us get it ourselves?). The only server on his toes is the guy who rushes up to get your room number to make sure nobody sneaks in to not get a cup of coffee. My second day there, I was literally the first person to the buffet, and the scrambled eggs, potatoes and beans were already cold. I had nearly finished my meal, but none of the many waiters yammering nearby thought of bringing me coffee. When the room number dude showed up and said, "Room number, please?" I said, "I'll give it to you if you bring me a cup of coffee." He said, "Yes, of course, sir, room number please?" I waived him off to indicate that it was going to be coffee before room number. He spoke to the clutch of idle waiters, and five minutes later, as I was standing up from my table, the coffee arrived. What else? There is a lot of wood in the hotel, and I started worrying about a fire when I saw that at least one of the emergency exit signs led to a door that was padlocked at night. The grimy red stairway carpet looks like it's been in place since the British pulled out. Have a nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Queen’s Hotel is considered today as a historic building to be conserved and held for all time as a part of the history of Sri Lanka’s Central Province. The Queen’s was originally a Governors Mansion with a small structure of buildings constructed to house troops. This was later to become the main complex of the Ceylon Riffle Regiment. Today the Queen's Hotel which is one of Kandy’s prime properties set on an extent of 217.5 perches of land is one of the finest and grandest architectural buildings of its kind in Kandy, along with its 54 spacious rooms.
Queens Hotel kandy which is decades old is still in very good shape. It has all modern conveniences and well trained staff who are always with a smile and ready to serve you.
If you need really stay closed to Middle of city(Kandy) stay at Queen’s Hotel.

Superb Location.....

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this property for two days in the month of October 2012 on 23rd & 24th. We were in a group of 11 people Five Adult and Six Children. We had booked this hotel through our travel agents but what we found out that if you are in a big group no need to book through travel agents. If you negotiate with them they can offer you discounts also.

This is an old Colonial British kind property managed by the Govt. Of Srilanka. The lobby is good and the rooms are average. It's an old property and needs a bit renovation. The lift is very old kind and many times it stucks in the floor as the gates is not properly closed by guests.

Room : the matress was nice and the pillow was also soft. Linen was very much neat and cleaned and bath linen was also very nice. All toiletries was also upto mark. Swimming pool side rooms have a good view. Electric kettle was there along with complimentary tea and coffee at it's place with two small bottles of complimentary water.

Bathroom had a bath tub and a small glass covering was also there above bath tub which made the bathroom a bit small but overall ok.

Staff is helpful and ready to solve our problems. Though house keeping was a bit slow in coming to room and sort our problem and in room service.

Buffet breakfast which was complimentary in their restaurant and was average. Here they should change and upgrade. For Indians like us who are pure vegeterian there is very very little option. You have to survive on Juices , Breads and Baked Beans. Many Indian Tourists are coming but they don't have much food items to offer them. I think management should look into this.

Location is excellent right in the heart of Kandy. That's why we choose this hotel. KFC, Pizza Hut are walking by. ATM and Banks are very much next to property. Supermarket is also 2 mins walk where you can get everything.

Indian Food is not much available there but one restaurant Devon Restaurant has a room in the First Floor in the name of Captains Deck offers excellent Indian food and Chinese food. All indian travellers should definately try this out. Other than that one Rams restaurant is there which is an average one.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and I can say this is a good property to stay in as rooms are nice and location is excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012