“Old, but Good!”

Queens Hotel Kandy
Ranked #31 of 56 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Queen's Hotel
You can't beat the location. Across the street on one side is the lake and on the other side is the Tooth relic Temple. How convenient is that? If you want to be away from things, then, this is not the hotel for you. This is central. It has that old colonial charm...meaning antique pipes so we had no hot water for a couple of days. But the decor and atmosphere and the staff were wonderful. Like a time warp. Another big plus is the free wifi in the lobby. But there is a Cyber cafe a few doors down if you need a computer. The room itself was huge, with tiled bathroom and antique bathtub. Not to worry, the toiled flushed just fine. Everything was tidy and clean...just really old. The breakfast was a huge buffet of both western and SL dishes. Plenty of fruits and beverages. Be adventurous and try the string noodles with coconut topping. Yum! Also, I've never tasted bananas as good as those in SL. Having read some of the negative reviews, the 4 nights at Queen's turned out to be a lot better than I had expected. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake. If you're just above the lobby, you can get wifi without...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank werrible

Reviewed January 21, 2012

...into a little bit of Kandy's colonial past.... Worryingly it appears a lot of the rooms and decor may not have been touched since the British hung up their white linen suits and left...

Reminiscent of a set from one of Agatha Christie's more exotic Miss Marple adventures, the Queen's Hotel has a certain loveable charm but isn't up to the standards of many of the other lakeside hotels in the city.

Reasonable value for money but you would be well advised to find somewhere to eat out (like Pizza Hut across the road) as the service leaves a little to the imagination.

Small but relatively comfortable rooms, an OK looking pool. But be prepared to hear every going on in your corridor - and above - and below until every one has gone to sleep for the night.

The travel office and tours guy in reception is helpful but expect to play a third more than the drivers and guides outside for little extra in the way of service.

Having been quite excited about the Queen's Hotel and Kandy in general we were left feeling a little under-awed.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank adamnewton
Reviewed January 10, 2012

The best advice I can give is to strongly recommend that you do not stay at this hotel. There were so many problems experienced at this hotel it was crazy! The hotel is very old and I doubt if anything has been upgrade in over thirty years. While it is centrally located, it is ridiculously noisy. If you do end up staying here (care of hopeless travel agents that think tourists will like the 'old style' hotel), request a room overlooking the pool. The food was terrible with breakfast particularly poor. We ended up down the street at one the bake houses for something semi decent to eat. We also had the misfortune to spend new year's eve at the hotel as it was apparently included in our rate ( without our knowledge) and there was no where else to eat in the hotel. They forgot to organise sufficient wine and it ran out after the first bottle! Many other stories of the shoddy NY service. Food poor, rooms very poor, bathrooms old and dirty, pool area could be nice but very old with only three lounge chairs that were so old they left white flaking plastic on me. Bar area old, dirty and with poor selection of basic drinks. The wireless Internet only worked in the lobby and was slow......I could go on and on and on! On last day watched as an older women slipped and rolled down a full flight of stairs! Staff reaction was slow.... Overall staff were very very poor. Not responsive to any issues raised and even seemed proud of their old hotel. " It is original madam!". Can picture Basil Fawlty here and there were lots of Manuel's!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TOH2511
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Although quint and well located we do not recommend this hotel. After having been booked by a co-own hotel in Drumbulla, we were given a room at the price quoted by the previous hotel. However, late the next morning, we were told that we had to pay an extra $35US for our stay, as the night clerk should not have let us have the room at the lower (reserved) rate. If we did not pay, the night clerk would have had to to shell out the money himself, and our luggage (being held while we toured the town), might not be handled to us.
This is un-heard of, a change of price after you consume the good.
Also, the breakfast buffer was not very good. But then, food is not the best asset of Sri Lanka, even with its close location from India.

Room Tip: do not trust the staff.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2012

It all starts with the wonderful location by the lake, close to the Temple of the Tooth. The Queen's Hotel is a classy Kandy institution with rooms with wooden floors, great interiors and balconies. The hotel reeks of old world charm.

The breakfasts are nothing to write home about, although the food is excellent at the Chinese restaurant (unfortunately, service is slow there as it is under-manned).

The rooms and the property is maintained very well. The only complaint I have is that the reception staff tend to be grumpy at night.

This was my second time at the Queen's and I wouldn't stay anywhere else when in Kandy.

Room Tip: The best rooms are on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I was taken by the grand hallways, beautiful entrance and AWESOME staff...but I wasn't so taken by the following:

* bed on rolly-wheels (it moved no matter how small a movement you made)
* damp smelling sheets
* rubbish shower (aimed at your face with no adjustmest possible)
* the gaps above the door which meant you could hear all comings and goings at night
* thickness (or lack thereof) of the walls so when the room next door watched TV it felt like we were sharing their room.

As I said, the hotel itself is very old and, in many ways, beautiful...but the rooms need updating urgently. We were planning on spending two nights there but only spent one after discovering how poor the room was.

On the plus side, the bar is wonderful and the friendliness of the staff among the best we encountered on our trip.

Room Tip: Maybe the more expensive rooms are adequate, but ours wasn't...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank keenishere
Reviewed November 27, 2011

The minute I walked through the doors I fell in love with this place. Yes it is old. Yes the red carpet going up the grand stair case is a little worn. And the little elevator must easily be 100 years old, if not more. You will be received at reception with a level of professionalism and courtesy just not the norm any longer. And you may expect this from everyone working in this hotel. My room had high ceilings and a fan as well as ac. Instead of mosquito nets there was an electrical plug in device that eliminated any problem of bugs. I did have a room facing the street, which could have been a problem if I were in it during the day as the street was a little noisy, but I had better things to do than stay in my room during the day, in such an interesting place as Kandy. Yes the monks chanting at the Temple of the Tooth down the road aways did wake me up at 5am, and I really did not mind as this was part of the experience of visiting Kandy for me. Request an inside room facing the pool if you want to have it totally quiet. Kandy will never be known for it's nightlife so getting up early did not bother me. The hotel bar and pool are very nice. The restaurant was fine, breakfast in particular very good. There are 2 travel centers and 2 shops in the hotel. Staff members were always introducing themselves to me to make sure I had everything I needed and was comfortable. I certainly was. I had no problems with a lack of hot water at any time. As far as I am concerned the hotel is well maintained without being disnified. It is old and beautiful. And right in the center of town. I would not hesitate to stay here again and again.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room facing the pool, which are quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo