“Great Chef but terrible hotel”
Review of Hotel Topaz

Hotel Topaz
Ranked #6 of 462 Kandy B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Executive Chef of this hotel is wonderful.
However given my experience with the front office I will NEVER stay here again.
Our rooms were booked by a very reputed travel agent the day before we checked in uneventfully. However at check out the next day, the front desk said that they had not received the payment from the travel agent and wanted us to stay there until they "talked" to the travel agent. My position is that they should have told me when I checked in, not when I was checking out. Their contract was with the travel agent and not with me. I had an important religious appointment at the main temple in Kandy, so I gave them my business card and said to call me if there was a problem. When I left they tried to detain my vehicle which is unlawfull confinement and a criminal act. With hindsight I should have called 119 (the Sri Lankan 911.) Subsequently they insulted me in front of other guests by asking me to leave all my bags behind (a family of six!) until they received payment. Finally I called the travel agent myself and left while they were talking. The Manager of the Front Office called me 12 hours later and apologised. However there are so many good hotels in Kandy that I have stayed at such as Hilltop, Mahaweli Reach, Earls Regency, Amaya Hills that I strongly recommend that this hotel - Topaz, be avoided.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SumedhaC

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel during our way to Nuwara Eliya..we had very difficulties to find this hotel..very bad road and cant move two vehicles at once. hotel room what has given is not very bad..clean and well arranged. once i have gone through the other reviews here i have noticed that most of the locals complaining about this hotel. yes they are not treating well enough for the locals. but i love this hotel and this is such a wonderful hotels in Kandy..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed one night at Hotel Topaz & it was terrible. The room they gave us was full of dust & the bed covers were uncleaned. We couldn't go tot he balcony as they have blocked the door. Immediately we asked for a room change and the second room was ok.

My advice is, please do not stay here. It spoils your day and the money. The hotel charges was expensive but the service is very poor. The road is very complicated and very isolated. It was so difficult to find the roads specially at night.

Location is quite good. Food & the staff in the restaurant is excellent. Reception was also very poor.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Duminda S
Reviewed August 1, 2012

very popular with tour groups it seems and higher prices for food and beer than elsewhere in SL reflected this. However the room was ok especially after having stayed at a couple of roughies earlier in tour so probably had a better impact than it deserved. Actually had real bacon at breakfast. Wifi at cost.
always made a rule of nuking my rooms with mortein after my first night in SL and using fans where available and aircon so didnt get bitten here.
Nice view from up high above Kandy.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Was a horrid stay here ... I live close by and stayed there tow days and one night .. door had no lock when this was flagged they came and checked abut three people then they agreed there is a problem an didn't even move us to another room... not at all flexible

Very bad experience and decided never to recommend this place to any one I know

Not clean no attention to detail, cranky bed

Room Tip: Please don't visit... very bad customer care and was a horrible place.. no door lock in the room...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kanishka M
Reviewed July 27, 2012

During an overnight stay in this beautiful hotel (I reckon it would be listed a 5 star establishment in the UK), I enjoyed great views over the valley and other delights, including even a man doing his washing in the river. Food was great and staff were more than just friendly and co-operative. This was all arranged by travel firm Aitken Spence Travels of Colombo.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Topaz is on a hill top & has amazing view of Kandy . Staff are attentive & willing to help . Breakfast was OK.
The rooms & bathrooms are clean , but there's so much room for improvement .
Wanted to visit the spa but the staff informed that it is closed .

• Stayed: July 2012