“Be very, very careful - deceiving presentations”

Oak-Ray Isiwara Ayurvedic Village
Ranked #5 of 7 Spas & Wellness in Kandy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Marlow
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Be very, very careful - deceiving presentations”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I can but repeat the comments of the reviewers below - I wish I'd known we were to visit this place and could have read the reviews before our driver took us there.

Our guide presented himself as an ayurvedic doctor (possibly correct) and the establishment as being non-commercial and government-run (incorrect). For the 'free' student massage, he asked for 1,000/- rupees (about a fiver) as the appropriate tip for the student (rubbish - 200/- maximum).

After the tour he then filled a shopping basket with items that, if I'd bought them all at the marked prices, would have cost over STG 600.

If you do want to buy their products, as noted below, ask for a discount (or, better still, as we found out later, you can go to much cheaper places for the same products).

Visited January 2014
3 Thank BillF2003

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Be careful”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Recently visited this place (Jan 2014) and it's is a rip-off. There are no labels on the products, the prices are very expensive and no advice on using them. Be very careful about what you buy in the shop (no one of the results promised were reached for the products we bought and luckily we had no skin problem as did one of our friends).

Very disappointed our driver took us there as otherwise we were very pleased with his services.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank armelle b
Narbonne
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Isiwaya Ayurvedic Village, Matale”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Recently visited this place (December 2013). It is a vast rip-off. Look VERY carefully at the prices of anything you wish to buy. There are no labels on the products and no advice on using them. A pleasant visit, the tea and massage is enjoyable, but just leave 200 LKR tip and be very careful about what you buy in the shop. We were disappointed our driver took us there as otherwise we were very pleased with his services.

Visited December 2013
7 Thank Jennywrenb
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Expensive , expensive and deceiving”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

As other comments. I also believe the travel agent and the drivers have links for commission on the products u buy,
I booked my trip through hansana tours and travels and disappointed that with all these negative comments this place was included in the trip when there are some many other places available,

Not only we we're shortchanged on the product by the over price but also wrong products given. Was assured almost 10 times that e could contact them via email if need assistance but until the end no address given.

It's a total rip off . Please avoid going to this place.

Sanduni

If you are organizing another trip please take into consideration the comments.

Visited December 2013
8 Thank Shylajadevi
Brisbane, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Very expensive but effective.”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This village is slickly run and touristy, but it’s well presented and a nice way to spend an hour or two. The guided tour through the gardens was informative and ‘free’ and our kids enjoyed the various displays and mini-activities along the way. Of course, you’re encouraged to buy product and tip the staff so it ended up being a very costly excursion.

Be warned; the products here are grossly expensive (we only realised this after visiting other Ayurvedic centres) and the packaging looks good but it’s impractical to the point being irresponsible. Once you remove the colourful outer cellophane, in almost all cases you’ll find an ugly, completely unidentifiable bottle/tub underneath with no labelling, no usage instructions and no expiry date. Also, after arriving home and unwrapping my ‘Turmeric cream’ I found they’d given me the wrong product (it had an altogether different colour & texture to the cream we been shown during the tour) so I wasn’t happy about that either.

I’d recommend against visiting but for one thing; the products work. I caught a cold in India which had turned into a deep and nasty cough by the time we reached Kandy. Our guide said ‘they have medicine at this place to fix your chest’ and he was right. I purchased the Ginger cough mixture with scepticism because I get one or two of these infections every year and the cough always lasts for weeks, but voila!, it was gone after 3 days of taking the syrup. I’m a keen cook and managed to give myself a nasty second degree burn a few days ago. I used their Aloe Vera cream on the blister (which reminded me to write this review) and the pain receded almost immediately. The burn healed extraordinarily quickly.

So my amended advice is to go ahead and visit, but buy with caution. Insist on a discount, double-check everything and only buy products you genuinely need. If you do buy something, make sure you cut the label off the outer wrapping and stick it onto the container or better still, ask the staff to properly label your purchases and provide full instructions before you hand over your money.

Visited July 2013