“Nice, atmospheric, lovely hotel.”
Review of Olde Empire Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kandy
Olde Empire Hotel
Ranked #129 of 456 Kandy B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here on my last couple of days in Sri Lanka. Very nice quiet hotel that contrasts quite well with the much more dynamic atmosphere of Kandy. The food was excellent and quickly served. Overall great experience and great value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 7, 2013

You're either going to love the Olde Empire or you're going to hate it. We loved it. It's 'charming' and 'rustic' but above all else the location is perfect! Right in the centre of Kandy, right next to the entrance of the temple of the tooth - we even left our shoes in the room when we visited! We were grateful that we were able to pre-book the room by email and pre-pay by western union. The WU fees were almost as expensive as the room itself - and even after that it's SO cheap! The balcony is a common area and all the chairs were always full of fellow tourists which meant we couldn't access the balcony directly via our room - we had to walk the 3 extra metres from the front door ;)

Room Tip: Take the upstairs ensuite at the front of the building!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2013

It's an old colonial hotel with wonderful polished wooden floors and staircases and a great balcony on the 2nd floor. It has seen better times, though. The room was OK, with a fan, although tobacco smoke and noise percolated in from people sitting on the balcony just outside. The bathroom was ancient, and the shower barely worked - a cool trickle. As we were sitting on the balcony at 9.45 in the evening talking to another resident, a member of staff came to turn the lights out - it seems to be the time when they shut down for the night.

Good value for one night, but not wonderful. The restaurant didn't look very inviting and we ate elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Old building with colonial atmosphere. My room was pretty cheap and nicely furnished - wooden floor and colonial furniture. I really enjoyed the balcony with great view and comfy armchairs, nice place to chill. Great location, next to the entrance to the Temple of the Tooth. And I didn't get any insect bites:) I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I saw the reviews of bed bugs but booked anyway because my friend stayed here last month and recommended it. In 2 nights I had about 30 bites on me, I don't know if they were mosquito or bed bugs or both but for the rest of my 9 day trip I was in torture from all the bites (Still suffering now as I type this after returning home). My partner only had a few bites on him so maybe his mattress was OK? Not sure. I also saw a few cockroaches here and there. The room is basic and I love the wood furniture and the bathroom is decent but I can't get over the dodgy mattresses and bed sheets with holes in them. The place is cool with a historical atmosphere and a great community balcony. Excellent location right next to the Temple of the Tooth Relic and Kandy Lake. No breakfast included. It is very cheap but I regret not paying more and finding a cleaner place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yazmin182
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay here at this characterful old colonial-era hotel.
Brilliant value considering its location and amenities.
We stayed in a lakeside room upstairs with access to the verandah...a great place to chill with a nice cup of tea. Lovely period furniture and wooden flooring.
The room was good sized and nicely furnished. Ceiling fan which is perfectly adequate ( no need for A/C in Kandy really). Bathroom is fine but unfortunately no hot water ( the cold shower is the only thing that stops me giving the place 5 stars - but I did know before checking in so no complaints ).
The owners are very friendly and helpful and will try hard to satisfy any reasonable requests!

Nice breakfast served in the upstairs dining room - excellent Sri Lankan omelette.Great tea and coffee.

The food in the main downstairs dining room, such as rice and curry (strongly recommended) is also very good and great value. Lots of locals eating here for lunch or dinner - always a good sign.

The chanting from the Temple of the Tooth is very pleasant really, but it will probably wake you up early in the morning. The hotel was very peaceful at all other times.
They don't serve alcohol but there is no problem consuming it in your room. Plenty of places to buy beer etc. in the neighbourhood.

Definitely recommend pre-booking as this place is very popular.

I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

Room Tip: Request an upstairs frontside room - numbers 2 and 4 are probably the best.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Beautifully ancient guesthouse that's been in the same family for more then 100 years. It's full of charm and atmosphere. Tea on the upstairs veranda facing the lake listening to the chants coming from the next door "Temple of the Tooth" was priceless. I had an upstairs frontside room with wooden floors and period furniture which was great. One of the places I won't forget.

• Stayed: March 2013