“decent takeaway.”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2014

away from the city centre this place boasts of a selection of little takeaways outlets that the locals use and was bustling with action. so tried some of it which was quite ok for the price.

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is on the 2nd floor of the Royal Mall and offers a tasty buffet lunch for 900 rupees per person (driver eats free). I had a delicious dahl, cushew nut and carrot curry, BBQ chicken, stir fried fish, and a superb coleslaw ! Clean place and good, friendly service. Perfect for a quick stop on the way to a nearby attraction in Kandy.

1  Thank Grooveshark01
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is my first review and I'm ashamed it has to be so negative.

There are two restaurants:
1) Royal Mall restaurant (which apparently has a better reputation) located on the upper level.
2) Heraliya Food Court (restaurant) located down the drive-way from Royal Mall Restaurant.

Heraliya Food Court (restaurant) has a dual nature, although not unexpected - one for locals and one for tourists. I am of anglo-indian heritage (I blend in perfectly) and when I first attended this restaurant with some Sri Lankan friends, we were greeted with smiles and a "cream-white coloured" menu (the local menu). I ordered a 2900 RS meal - hoppers.

When I returned with my wife (western-looking, white), we were not greeted but stared down by the waiter, but to be fair, perhaps it was this waiter - you dont know. Nevertheless, we sat down and were given a "green menu" (the foreigner menu). I wanted to order the same meal, and it was at 4900 RS. I approached the waiter about this, but he pretended to no longer speak English. However in a friendly manner I insisted. I got this "no, no, no" to my "different coloured menu".

We ordered and waited for locals to arrive and observe their coloured menus and indeed their menus were cream-white. The funniest thing was that before the menus came out, the waiters kept looking at us as we observed them. They were visibly self conscious but as we kept looking, they had to trade off their embarrassment for waiting local patrons and they hid the cream-white coloured menus behind their backs while walking towards the locals. But we saw everything.

The service was horrible even before we discussed menus. We dont ask for much, just to be fair and polite, however here we felt like we didnt exist. We just felt like a burden there.

The food as cold, far too salty, and dare I say, not very nice. For 80 RS we eat a much better, more balanced meal at the University of Peradeniya where I am an exchange student.

Much better food elsewhere and better smiling service.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Food is awesome. Everything & anything under one roof. You name it they have it. I am a regular customer. I am a daily & a loyal customer of royal mall for the past 15 years. It is the best place in Kandy. I am highly satisfied with their service & i recommend it to all. Great experience. Once you go there you will always go there forever. One of the most decent & the most reasonable place in town. Customer is the king at the royal mall.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Excellent location for a classic Sri Lankan rice and curry buffet, filled with all the traditional favourites. Great service as well. My only regret was that I couldn't as much as I wanted to!