“Very clean and comfortable stay”

Hanthana Holiday Rooms
Ranked #2 of 384 Kandy B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Very clean and comfortable stay”
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

This is a really nice guest house which feels slightly upmarket than others. Very clean rooms, and friendly service. The food we had for dinner was delicious which a shared around the dining table with 7 other travelers. I would only recommend staying one night in kandy and definitely stay out of the city centre which makes this spot a great choice

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank markkelliher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 11, 2014

When you're in Kandy, do yourself a favour, spend a night or two with Hanthana Holiday Rooms (HHR). It's really an experience not to be missed as you'll be pampered by Ananda and his family's warm and sincere hospitality. Mr Ananda opened up his house to tourists not too long ago and he is already building more rooms to house more people. This is testimony to the popularity of his guesthouse. We felt at home from the moment we were welcomed by Ananda's son, Bec, to the time we left HHR.

Facilities at HHR was perfect - wifi, hot showers, balconies with good views of the mountains, clean rooms and toilets. Ananda's wife, Nimalkha, prepared a good breakfast and an even better dinner for us on both days that we were there. Dinner was a sumptuous Sri Lankan spread of rice, chicken, vegetables, potatoes and dhal. Beer is also available at HHR.

Ananda will answer any questions you have regarding travelling in Kandy and beyond. They helped us arrange for a tuk tuk driver (Terence; tel: 072 5502561) for a day trip to Elephant Freedom Project, Ceylon Tea Museum (closed on Mondays), a tea factory, a spice garden and an Ayurvedic massage. Terence has a good command of English and is genuinely interested in making sure that we enjoyed our day with him.

While some may say that the location of HHR is fairly far from Kandy town, I view this as a plus point. It feels really good returning to the peaceful HHR after a day of travelling, where piping hot dinner, clean and hot shower and a hospitable family is waiting for you. Mr Ananda and his family will gladly arrange a tuk tuk to bring you to town. From there, you can arrange a time to meet the tuk tuk driver to bring you back to HHR. A trip to town cost around 300Rs and there's many signage along the road up the hill that will direct you to HHR.

I'm glad that I stayed with Mr Ananda and his family. It's really a memorable experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank HaoJun
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I cannot say enough about the kindness, generosity and hospitality of Ananda and Nimalkha. As a solo female traveller on her first trip to Sri Lanka, they made my first experiences of the country truly lovely and memorable. I arrived quite late on my first evening but both Ananda and Nimalkha struck me with how they were both present at the front door to greet me and welcome me with warmth (just like relatives would!). And even though Ananda didn't have a record of my booking (thanks a lot, Agoda...:(), they quickly sorted things out so that I still got a room. They also accommodated my request to stay an extra night even if they didn't have rooms anymore and instead arranged a bed for me in Nimalkha's own room! On my first morning, Ananda was going into Kandy for errands and generously offered to let me 'tag along' so I got my first glimpse of Kandy with my own trusted guide.

Hanthana itself is a really pleasant place to stay. It sits right at the edge of the Danumdallawa (?) Forest and the first thing that impressed me upon waking up on my first morning was how QUIET and PEACEFUL it was. Hang out in their balcony and just take in the beauty and peace of nature! The rooms are simple, but clean and comfortable. Bathrooms have hot water and they provide towels for your use. And Nimalkha will bend over backwards to serve your requests for breakfast (local Sri Lankan breakfast or simple Western fare). Ananda will also happily arrange for tuktuks or drivers for you for your various tours in and around Kandy, and will even check up on you to make sure you're still safe and ok during your excursions. I really felt like I had ended up at a place run by my long-lost uncle and aunt!

But the most amazing gesture of kindness they showed me was when they allowed me to 'borrow' a blanket for my upcoming silent meditation course. Not only did they say yes but they even said I didn't need to come back after he retreat to return it (but I still did of course... if only to say goodbye as well). And on my last day in Sri Lanka, a full two weeks after I had left Hanthana, Mr Ananda even called me to say goodbye and wish me well.

If you want a place that gives you an authentic Sri Lankan kindness and hospitality experience, start off your holiday with Ananda and Nimalkha of Hanthana Holiday Rooms. It will set the tone for a truly positive and lovely holiday ahead!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank tingdiver
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

High in the hills of Kandy you will find a very beautiful b&b
Take a map or Google maps as also a lot of taxi and tuktuk drivers can't find this place
But if you're there you will meet a very warm nice family and a beautiful view high from the hills
The food is also very good
This is a good place to escape from the busy down town city

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Mo i Rana, Norway
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We enjoyed the 3 days stay at Hantana Holidays Rooms.The family wa very friendly. A place to relax. -Went hiking at the Knuckles Mountains - to be recommended. - The rooms don't have A/C which can make them warm on hot days.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Arne E
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Hanthana Holiday Rooms was suggested by a friend of mine. Although the place was out of the centre of Kandy, the location was perfect and living in the house with family was just an experience everyone should get while travelling in Sri Lanka and to get to know local people, food and hear the real stories of local people.
The family took me as we had known each other for ages. From the first seconds I felt myself as at home. I would definitely suggest the place for all my friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Marikai K
Derby, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful guest house in wonderful surroundings, we had an excellent sleep,delicious food and the family was very welcoming.Just check the map before taking a tuk tuk and show the driver because they said there are more hanthana guest houses around. You can negotiate the price of the tuk tuk to up to 300-400 rupees.So far the best guest house in sri lanka

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
Sevana City Hotel
#8 of 54 in Kandy
Earl's Regent Hotel
Earl's Regent Hotel
#9 of 54 in Kandy

Been to Hanthana Holiday Rooms? Share your experiences!