“Great place for a home stay”

Hanthana Holiday Rooms
Ranked #3 of 445 Kandy B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We had a short stay in Hantana Holiday Rooms during our recent visit to Sri Lanka. It was like staying in our own home. Very friendly family. Great place for a home stay. Thanks Ananda and Nimalka for your great hospitality. Can’t wait for the next visit to your new addition. Good luck with everything!
Lionel and Champa - Australia

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Hanthana is clean, beautiful and serene. We came to Hanthana straight from the Bandaraneika airport and we were so glad we had chosen such a nice place to put up our first night in Sri Lanka. The air was cool at night you don't even need a fan in the room. The room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. We knew before we placed the booking this place is few kilometres away from the town thus we had jotted down the telephone number and address so that we could contact Ananda for direction. Ananda and his family were very kind and attentive. Ananda helped us in arranging our transportation here and there, with very reasonable price. I would strongly recommend this place to anybody who loves a leisure and relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2014

My husband, daughter,her friend and I stayed here for 2 nights in March 2014. Our rooms were stuffy and no fans were offered. Only on the second night when I insisted because my room was infested with mosquitoes, a stand fan was put in. Ananda insisted that his place is mosquitoe free place. Surprising when it is surrounded by trees. Breakfast was not at all to our expectation. SL breakfast was " kiribath" was not well prepared. This is our fifth trip to SL and we have tasted good local food. We dont like the idea of the cat sitting on the sofa all over and also in our rooms. It will sit on the bed too. Only upon request toiletries were given. Glad that I stayed here for only 2 nights. We had a difficult time finding this place too...bit out of the way especially at night.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the basement are cool maybe mosquioto free. They are also cheaper so you will g...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Ananda J, Owner at Hanthana Holiday Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Hello Mrs,

Thank you very much for your review. It is unfortunate that you did not find our home pleasant and found many problems with our services when all our other guests had a very calm and peaceful time. I have gone through all the problems you have mentioned and also I we found a fraud with your booking as well which we did not report to Agoda.com. I hope you do not do such kind of things to other hotel owners as well, because giving an extra room to a guest is not a big issue

Regarding the mosquitoes I can assure you that there are no mosquitoes and I am a 100% sure. We have had many other guests and no one else reported having mosquitoes in their rooms. When we asked your daughter and her friend as well regarding the mosquitoes they said they did not find any. Its unfortunate you find some mosquitoes which we can assure aren't there.

I am must give you my apologies for the cat. Most guests loves our pets, but if they don't they let us know before hand. Regarding the toiletries we look to resupply them as soon as they run out in the rooms. As for the breakfast I am a bit surprised as your daughter and her friend found the "Kiribath" very delicious and commented that they had a good meal.

It is regrettable we got a negative review from a Sri Lankan family who told us had a great stay.
Hope you have a wonderful day and give my sincere regards to your husband, daughter and her friend.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hanthana holiday rooms in July 2013 and it is without a doubt one of the favourite places we stayed in the whole country. From the moment we arrived Ananda and his family made us feel part of the family. We arrived in July, after not finding the holiday rooms very easily we managed to contact Ananda and he amazingly got on his bike and found our lost tuk tuk in the hills, we were the only people staying at Hanthana whilst we were there and he offered us a beautiful room which was the most expensive at an excellent price. Every evening we chose to stay at the guesthouse for dinner and his food was so delicious! I still dream about his amazing curries now, we were given star treatment at the holiday rooms. Whilst in Sri Lanka I had to undergo surgery in Colombo which was extremely stressful, after the surgery I aimed to stay in relaxed and affordable accommodation (my boyfriend and I are both students so money was extremely tight). Every morning Ananda would arrange tuk tuks at a great price to travel to Kandy for the day and he would made us the most wonderful food. Breakfast was eggs, fruit, bread and jam and dinner consisted of chicken, fish, sri lankan curries and great beers!! In the evening we could use the free wifi and relax in the living area with his families, it was great to feel part of a family.
I would thoroughly recommend Hanthana holiday rooms to anyone visiting Kandy, accommodation can be very expensive and poor quality in Kandy but not at Hanthana Holiday Rooms! One of the loveliest and friendliest places I visited in Sri Lanka

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LucyMcQuade
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I'm leaving tomorrow morning, but am savoring my last hours with the family and guests at Hanthana Holiday Rooms. The reviews of this place were so overwhelmingly positive that I didn't actually expect it would be as good as advertised. It's better. The family is gracious and welcoming. The home is lovely and there are lots of open spaces to sit and enjoy a moment in solitude or chatting with others. The internet is strong and reliable. My Skype calls back home are laced with birdsong, because I'm usually sitting on the lovely patio, enjoying the jungle view and breezes. Dinner each evening is a special treat -- the food is so good and atmosphere so enjoyable that I, and all of the other guests, look forward to gathering around the table. I'll add my superlatives to the other reviews - this place is awesome!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Paula N
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed in this BnB for one night, and will (whenever we return back to Kandy) stay there again, as the host is very friendly, the place is very cozy and up in the hills. Food was delicious, rooms were good!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MWYR
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Ananda & Nimalka thoroughly deserve all the positive comments to be read in TripAdvisor reviews. We stayed for 3 nights and were welcomed into their home as friends. As a past traveller himself, Ananda obviously enjoys meeting like-minded people from around the world and showing family hospitality. The evening meal seems to be at 7:30pm and everyone eats together whatever Nimalka has made. Every meal was delicious local food. A pre-dinner drink of a local Lion beer, coke or fruit juice is easily arranged. Breakfast is flexibly timed to suit guest requirements. Wifi is available. It might be a little difficult to find. GPS co-ords are 7.27493, 80.638915 and pinpoints it exactly on Google maps. Tuktuk is LKR250 to the station or into Kandy town.
I must mention Manju, tuktuk driver, who Ananda got for us to do a day trip taking in the elephant orphanage (LKR2500 each entry), Botanical Gardens (LKR1100 each entry), a tea factory and spice garden. He charged a very reasonable LKR2000 round trip (+ LKR500 tip), spoke good English, courteous, careful driver and officially Tourist Board registered. The $25 room with en suite & balcony is the best in the house. Hanthana Holiday Rooms have their own Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/HanthanaHolidayRooms?fref=ts

Room Tip: Double room with balcony seems best
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple