“Lovely family, great home”

Hanthana Holiday Rooms
Ranked #3 of 406 Kandy B&B and Inns
london
“Lovely family, great home”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was a wonderful place to stay. The family were really friendly and gave lots of great advice. Ananda and all of his family are great hosts. An absolute haven up the hill from the hustle and bustle of kandy. And the food was the best we had in all of Sri Lanka. I'd recommend this place to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kimnchris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kashmir, India
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Mr. Ananda and his family were very hospitable during my stay in HHR. The whole family including their dog and my favorite cat, Puss, that slept in my bed one night was very genuine in their desire to welcome guests. It's one big house where you live with the family and prepare meals for you. The beds were very comfortable and homey as I stayed at the ground floor with shared baths. I was connected throughout the house and we got free water as we ate. The balcony at the right wing overlooked the jungle where I heard birds and some animals in the morning and evening. I usually wake up early so I took a hike up to the water tank where you can see Kandy town, the forest that surround Hantana and some plantations on the right.

Some people pay much just to get the "local experience" but in HHR I got it (for only about $15/ night) and had fun with a friend, Susanna, who I met there . There was a common dining area where I shared some meals and beers with some other guests.

The house was quite a trip from downtown but you could ask Mr. Ananda to write the address or instructions in Sri Lankan .I didn't really wanna stay downtown with all the touts and the business going on there so it was perfect for the evenings where I wanted to just chill and relax and talk to the family.

HHR also helped us organize a Knuckles Range hike so they made me very happy since Knuckles was my utmost priority. Plus I got a bargain on a really nice batik shirt that Mrs. Jayakody made. And thanks to his second son for helping us when he saw us lost downtown looking for a place to eat Faluda. Hahaha Thanks a lot!

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet, choose a ground floor room where it's away from the kitchen.
india
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Amazing is the one word i would like to use to describe Hanthana Holiday Rooms!!!! We stayed here unfortunately only for two nights but they were the best two days of our trip by far.

1) Firstly Anand is a fantastic host and he along with his wife and two sons could not make us feel more at home!! A big thanks to you Anand!!!!

2) Spotless charming and comfortable is how i would describe his house. There was not a speck of dust or dirt anywhere. The rooms are exceedingly clean.

3) The food is absolutely fantastic and cooked by Anand (who specializes in salads) and his wife who should be on a cooking show. The dinners she prepared for us were authentic Srilankan fare which we enjoyed thoroughly. And were not charged much at all for.

4) If you are looking for an AMAZINGLY AFFORDABLE stay this is the place to be. When we compared the facilities to what we were being charged, this place was by far the best in Sri lanka that we found.

5) A wonderful location overlooking the hills of Kandy gave us a serene and relaxing time... the only price to pay for this serenity is the tuk tuk ride to town which takes about 15 minutes. But here also Anand helps us out with transport at a very affordable price.

6) Anand is SO HELPFUL. Takes personal interest in your travels and even takes trouble to set things up for all his guests! A big big thank you to you Anand and Family!!!

7) Lastly but not the least this is the most HOMELY COMFORTABLE FRIENDLY AFFORDABLE and WONDERFUL place to stay in Kandy. A big thumbs up to HHR and a HIGH RECOMMENDATION to anyone who is travelling to Kandy

Room Tip: The master bedroom is with a small balcony with a good view and attached toilet!! Certainly worth th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,438 helpful votes
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I booked a room at Hanthana Holiday Rooms for one night at Booking.com for my trip to Kandy shortly before my flight to Sri Lanka. I did not bother to read all the reviews since it has a high rating. Although I booked other hotels online only Hanthana Holiday Rooms confirmed my reservation by e-mail and also offered some interesting information about the nearby Tea Museum. I arrived Kandy from Negombo and it was raining by the time I reached Kandy City. On the way to Hanthana Holiday Rooms we passed by tea plantations and the Tea Museum. It was some 3.5 km. ride from the main road and located on top of the hill. The owner himself welcomed me and showed me my room at the basement. The room was spacious and clean. Lots of space to move around freely. I also got a warm welcome from Cindy, the pet dog and Kitty, the cat. The bathroom was a few steps from my bedroom and there is a big reception area with comfortable sofa, dining table and wooden chairs. I was all alone at the basement so I got all the privacy I needed. I ordered food for dinner and they served delicious Sri Lankan dish. The complimentary breakfast came with coffee and fruits, toasted bread and jam. They called a reliable tuktuk driver to show me around Kandy City. For the price I paid I got excellent value for my money, a wonderful homestay experience in the company of decent and genuinely warm and friendly family who makes any guest feel at home. I strongly recommend Hanthana Holiday Rooms to all visitors coming to Kandy City.

Room Tip: The basement rooms are quiet but wi-fi is stronger and more stable in the rooms upstairs.
3 Thank pinoytraveller2
Ananda J, Owner at Hanthana Holiday Rooms, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hello Mr Tubiera,

Thank you for your review about our Home Stay. It was good having you and I am sure you must have felt yourself at home.

I am glad to have helped you out in every way I can after all you come to Sri Lanka to have a memorably time and I will do my best to help you with that :)

Hoping to see you if you come by Sri Lanka again.

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We`ve stayed there some days and it was one of the best experiences we`ve had make in Sri Lanka.It`s such a nice family and they gave so much hospitality.The rooms are basic but really ok.The last 2 nights we got the room of Dakshina,their son,because we stayed longer as we had planned and they had reservations for the other guestrooms.For breakfast you can choose between european Breakfast and Sri Lankan Breakfast,i would recommmend the Sri Lankan.The dinners were also very good and really tasty.It`s in a quiet and nice location next to the jungle,where you could have really nice walkings without any entry fee.To Kandy it`s roundabout 3,5km.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Mr Patrick,

Thank you for your review about our Home Stay. It was a pleasure to have you at our home and I am glad you enjoyed your stay as well.

I wish you the best with your journeys. Have a wonderful time

Hoping to see you if you come by Sri Lanka again.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I don't even know how to thank enough.This family and they home is amazing. They really care about you and help every way they can. The best homestay I ever had. Peaceful place with a great view. Food is excellent. I totally love it. I got sick after my hiking trip. The mom made me special tea with ginger and also gave me a medice get me better. It was like I was one of they family. I felt so safe and good. This family is one of the reason why I wanna come back to Sri Lanka and Kandy again.They have also a lovely cat (Pus) and dog (Cindy). When I was going to hiking Ananda borrowed me his cap, raincoat and trouses. What expensive hotel even do that? I stayed totally 5 nights and loved every moment. Thank you so much for everything! You are the most warm-hearted people I've met in my trip Sri Lanka and I will miss you all!

Room Tip: Very nice and big room with balcony on upstairs.
1 Thank Susarope
Hello Susanna,

Thank you for your wonderful review about our Home Stay. It was a pleasure to have you at our place and take care of you in times you needed.

I am glad you are very happy. Wish you the best and wish you good health.

Hoping to see you if you come by Sri Lanka again. :)

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We would love to go back next year, it's close to the kandy town lovely view and peaceful , well worth for money without any doubt .rooms are nice and clean , morning we could see loads of parrots all over the place , we both recommend to any body who want to stay there .. Looking forward to be there again soon .

• Stayed August 2013
Ananda J, Manager at Hanthana Holiday Rooms, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hello Sandaya

Thank you for your wonderful review about our Home Stay. It was a pleasure to have you and Chris at our place.

I am glad you enjoyed your time here :)

When you come to Sri Lanka again please come by you are more than welcomed here Sandaya,

Ananda Jayakody
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandy
Sevana City Hotel
#9 of 53 in Kandy
Theva Residency
Theva Residency
#1 of 1 in Hantana

Been to Hanthana Holiday Rooms? Share your experiences!