“Settle Inn 2 is not as great as Settle Inn 1. Book only at Settle Inn 1.”

Settle Inn Tourist Lodge
Ranked #27 of 352 Specialty Lodging in Kandy
Alwaye, Kerala, India
“Settle Inn 2 is not as great as Settle Inn 1. Book only at Settle Inn 1.”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Me and my husband stayed at Settle Inn 2, which is located a bit away from Settle Inn 1. It is walk able but an uphill climb. The rooms in Settle Inn 2 are hybrid rooms made just for a simple stay-over for the night. Staying for lengthy periods is not suggested. The rooms are small and so is the bath, Hot water is not so hot, just lukewarm. There is no room service unless you request somebody to clean up the room. Don't bother falling for the Free Wifi thing, as you cannot get any connection. Better to take a local sim and use the data. Booking cabs through the hotel personnel can be a bit costly. Better to call up a cab provider after searching the web and find a better deal. Free breakfast is provided at Settle Inn 1. That place is much homely and neat. If you plan to stay at Settle Inn, make sure that it is at Settle Inn 1, as you can enjoy your stay better there, There is good eatery called The Garden Cafe, within walk able distance from the hotel. Do try the Buryani, Stringhoppers and Devilled Chicken/Fish/etc. Overall, i would say that our stay was just OK and it is only good for a overnight stay, not longer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leeaquarian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

An odd mix of mostly good and a little bad, this place most importantly has clean fresh rooms, good beds and hot showers with plenty of water, and good prices.

They've gone for a slightly designer look with nice internal courtyard garden around which to have breakfast and the odd 'antique' here and there.

ROOMS - I first stayed in room one at the front (complained about elsewhere). Its very small with a noisy toilet cistern that needs to be shut off after use, but otherwise fine. I switched to the larger room 4 after being joined by my friend. This is the best of the ground floor doubles as it is quiet - but oddly has the light switches in the opposite corner to the door! The other two doubles around the garden suffer from some noise from the pond electrics so not such a good option.

There are big family rooms upstairs.

The managers uncle is an old unsmiling ex army guy who can seem abrupt but does the job. Oddly, my companion was told (after a 6 day stay!) not to smoke in the room despite there being no non smoking signs anywhere.

Small quibbles aside this place is good value if you bargain or get a good internet price.

• Stayed July 2013
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Pleae, please do not stay here! The hotel employs a very efficient marketing firm. In reality it ruined my time in Kandy, spoiling my trip to see friends and the sights.
The rooms are tiny, airconditioning/television did not work during my stay (5 nights end Feb 2013) and the staff were very unhelpful to the point of outright rudeness.
Females, esp lone travellers such as myself, were literally treated as invisible, completely ignorned in favour of reading the paper or talking by the mainly male staff.
I had paid in advance so could not easily leave, but when I asked, politely, to change rooms to have working a/c, and a usuable bathroom -my toilet leaked continually and the shower was filthy (the place was half empty) I was shown to cheaper rooms with the same problem, and told I was 'trouble'. The leak was not fixed, and I had to buy towels to mop it every day, horrible!
The gates are locked at 10pm, and as I had gone to see friends, I had to rush back every night. I was continually asked for extra money to pay for the manager's eye operation and harrassed for tips. Breakfast is tiny, and an extra, eg another cup of coffee, is expensive.
Do not fall, as I did, for the internet hype generated by this 'hotel'-it is, I found to my cost, notorious in Kandy, there is plenty of other alternative hotels and hostels. Other guests who came during my stay left after one night, I wish I'd been able to.
I've spent the last three months in Asia, and this is by far the worst place I have stayed in, even basic hostels in India have been more welcoming. Avoid, please!

Room Tip: Garden rooms are more basic, as nothing works anyway, if you have to stay here, at least save money...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank stella b
Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed at the "Settle Inn" for three nights in early April 2013. I was allocated Room 1 adjacent to the entrance lobby area. The room was clean with a functioning shower/toilet area, aircon, fan and even a flat screen TV. However, compared with some of the other rooms at the rear of the property my room was a little cramped and had opaque windows. It was perfectly okay but it wasn't the best room - a little claustrophobic.

Breakfasts were typically Sri Lankan - fresh fruit, eggs any which way, toast, jam and tea. A perfect start to the day. I found the staff here, pleasant and cheerful and it was good to see the owner fumigating the garden borders each morning to suppress mosquitoes.

The little hotel is at the eastern end of Kandy Lake and a fifteen minute walk from the famous Queen's Hotel, passing the Kandy Arts Centre and the Sacred Temple of the Tooth. The Kandy Arts Centre is worth visiting both for the fairly priced handicraft goods and the early evening traditional dance spectacular (500 rupees a ticket). I also enjoyed a couple of visits to the Royal Bar and Hotel on King Street - a beautifully refurbished relic of colonial times. And I went swimming at Hotel Suisse on the south side of the lake - 500 rupees at reception.

I thought that "Settle Inn" represented excellent value for money and I would happily stay there again though I would like to be given the opportunity to pick my own room next time.

Room Tip: If the hotel isn't full, ask if you can see which rooms are available before choosing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I stopped here after Adams peak, before travelling back to Colombo. I had stayed in another nice place in Kandy before so was apprehensive about this new place. The hotel is near the lake so it osnt far to walk to the town to get aomethig to eat. The staff were friendly enough and arranged my early morning tuk tuk to get a train. I was in a hut outside which didn't look much from the outside but was clean, stylish, and even had a flat screen tv which was the first time is ha a tv in my room in Sri Lanka Haha. Comfortable nights sleep, just wish i could of stayed longer.

• Stayed March 2013
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 11, 2013

this hotel is absolutely lovely- it offers super rooms with cable TV around a cute little courtyard. It's very quiet at night and is the perfect place to relax after a hard days sightseeing in Kandy. The only downside is that to get to other restaurants at night you have to walk down the side of a dark road with no pavement so a tuk tuk is advised! It is within walking distance of the lake and tuk tuks regularly come past.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The rooms are very nice except for the very flimsy blanket which looked like a table cloth. The breakfast was decent and the mother of the owner was friendly. One of the staff who was there during our one night stay was a little mediocre in helping us find a taxi though. She said she'll call the manager and we waited for hours. Finally, my husband talked to the mother of the owner to call her son (the manager) to see if they could book us a taxi from Kandy to Ella. Now they said taxi would cost us 13,000 LKR (around $108 USD) for non-airconditioned car and 16,000 LKR for airconditioned car (around $130) which is really, really ridiculous. It didn't even include any tour. We were wondering why they would put a sign that says 35 LKR/km. They said it's old info and they just forgot to take it down. My husband insisted to get the Nano Taxi advertised for 4000 LKR to Nuwara Eliya. In the end, we ended up paying 6,600 (and tipped the driver 1,900 LKR for his honesty and good service) from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya, a lot cheaper than what they quoted us! I suggest book your tour elsewhere. The hotel is a rip off when it comes to arranging a taxi service. Also the staff had to turn off the wifi because of the thunder and lightning which we understood but forgot to turn it back on. We had to approach the staff several times and they don't seem to care so again, we approached the mother of the owner to turn in back on.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family