“Basic....”

Amaara Sky Hotel Kandy
Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

It's my first night at the aamara sky after getting back from colombo, Cinnamon Grand and Green Paradise in Dubwulla. At first impression the hotel is quaint and sweet and a lovely welcoming by a very professional couple of ladies who gave us lemon grass soup to welcome us in. The hotel was very very quiet with only two other guests in house. My brother and I shared a twin room and my parents a double.. Well the difference is incredible. A double room is huge, clean with a great view. The twin is tiny, basic and certainly needs a revamp.. I find it hard to believe that the hotel has only been open for a year, other than the art and the immaculate dining area, there is nothing new about it..I simply require the basics in a hotel... Clean sheets and a clean bathroom/ towels.. Unfortunately I have had neither :( ( my too sheets had blood stains on them so I had to request clean ones, this put me off sleeping at all) the sheets sent up had pen marks all over them... Genuinely speechless, but I have settled for this as biro pen is better than blood!! is pretty out of the way and they unfortunately do not have a bar licence so it's either extremely poor tasting, highly expensive wine, lion beer or soft drinks. I thought the service was very professional throughout.
I understand they are very quiet at present, but there is no ambience here, which is such a shame as there is potential here! The hotel is so out of the way that on the Saturday night we couldn't get a taxi into town so were stuck in the hotel all night..there was no list of taxi services at reception, it got to the point where I was googling taxi numbers for then to call. Being on a high cliff and seeing how crazy the tuktuk drivers are.. This was not ideal at all. At this moment in time I will not be recommending this hotel going forward, which is a shame as I has high hopes from the reviews, housekeeping need a real kick up the backside as behind our bedside table ( there is a gap) it looked like it hadn't been hoovered in a very long time! Dead flies and dirt galore!! It is basically a premier inn hotel equivalent ( London 3 star basic hotel) having said that my parents were very happy with their huge room and my the massages in the spa are also very good and reasonably priced ( $40 for 1 hour)
The showers do need a refurb as well.. I hate to complain as the staff were super nice, but just not able to help with basic requirements.
Something good is, that we didn't like anything in the set menu and so requested to eat something else from the Al carte menu and this wasn't a problem.. Food is very good and presentation is excellent. Also, there is fast and free wifi throughout..they are really kind people and very hospitable but this hotel is fine if you don't want to venture out at night and happy to be in bed by 21:00 each night :( .. Does have an excellent view though and Terrance is very nice.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Sel48
DAmerasinghe, Owner at Amaara Sky Hotel Kandy, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

As you must be aware both you and your parents were booked into our standard rooms. We had arranged to upgrade both to our larger Deluxe category, however since you and your brother required a twin room we were requested the same (we do not have Deluxe Twin rooms).

I am surprised to hear your comments about the linen, we apologies for this and find this unacceptable. We have asked our housekeeping team to look into this immediately and remove any sheets with stains as you claim to have had in your room. We are genuinely sorry if this was the case.

Our goal at the Amaara Sky is to give our guests as much privacy and homely atmosphere as possible. I apologies if this was not to your liking. I have asked our reception to have a list of Taxi services available, thank you for your feedback regarding this.

I am glad you enjoyed our Spa therapy and that our food and staff were able to make your stay more enjoyable. Hope you chose to stay with us on your next visit to Kandy and we can leave an improved impression on you.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Amaara Sky was more then I expected and can be counted as a boutique hotel it caters to the discerning traveller who wants to get away from the maddening crowd where they will be looked after by caring staff and fed by a very talented Chef. Perched on a cliff it gives you an breathtaking aerial view from every room of the still unspoilt vegetation of Sri Lanka against the back drop of hillsl. I truly recommend this hideout. The personalised attention is a reflection of the good relationship between the Management and the employees they were excellent and that harmony is so reflected in their desire to make my stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: all the rooms have been designed to give you a great view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melba d

Dear Melba,

Thank you very much for taking your time to leave us your thoughts. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Amaara Sky Hotel. I will pass on your comments to our staff and they will be undoubtedly thrilled to have left such an impression on you. looking forward to welcoming you back to the Amaara Sky on your next visit to Kandy.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night as part of a trip of the island. The hotel staff were friendly, welcoming and we really enjoyed the stay. They gave us a choice of rooms and the deluxe room we chose had a modern bathroom and was huge - all amenities were there included. The bed was incredibly comfortable and views amazing. We had dinner in the lovely dining room; the food was good. Breakfast was served on the terrace once again with fantastic views and was excellently cooked. Your choice of cooked breakfast and a large fruit salad and basket of pastries.
Staying here was a joy after a manic hot trip around Kandy. I'd highly recommend staying here.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CRKSE4

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. We value your comments and feedback. You picked well by choosing our 600 Sq Foot Deluxe room, and I am glad you enjoyed our Amaara Cuisine and Terrace dining experience in the morning - a truly refreshing way to start out your day, We hope to have you back at the Amaara Sky on your next visit.

Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights as part of our Sri Lanka trip and found this hotel via TA reviews. We were not disappointed, our driver had not been here before and after a driver up the hills we reached the hotel. Mark greeted us and showed us to our room, 204.
It was late so we didn't appreciate the views until we woke the next day. Amazing, we had views from both sides as our balcony went all the way round as our room was at the end so we had the hills and the town on either side, this alone would have warranted a return.
The breakfast is simply divine, Sri Lankan breakfast with hoppers and veg curry pre ordered the night before and cooked to perfection. It was brilliant, could not fault the presentation, taste or quantity. You can see that the hotel has invested in its branding by the amount of personalised crockery they have.
On our second breakfast we were greeted by a champagne breakfast courtesy of he hotel, this was a lovely surprise and Samarath our waiter was so friendly and attentive.
Th hotel offers a free movie service which is nice for when you just want to relax.
Only reason I rate it a 4 is the room itself, toiletries not new/full, tv hard to operate and decor slightly dated, but not off putting. Also the tumtuk driver arranged by the hotel, Manju seemed a little intoxicated or extremely happy, but a bit scary for us and he overcharged but that would be something individuals should agree in advance so hotel not at fault.
I would 100% go again and recommend this hotel to anyone going to Kandy.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SunitaLON

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed a lovely Sri Lankan breakfast. We love to pamper our guests and it feels great that you enjoyed our champagne breakfast. Thank you for your comments about our DVD library - We are proud to have a collection of over 200 in varying genres.

Appreciate your feedback about the toiletries and we are genuinely sorry about this, it was an isolated incident and will be taking necessary measures to negate it in the future. Regarding your Tuk Tuk driver, I must point out that we have no affiliation with the driver as we simply call one up from the city when guests request for one. However will be sure to advice our guests from now on to agree a price before travel.

Once again Thank you for your thoughts and we hope to have you back at the Amaara Sky on your next visit to Kandy.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

It was a joyous experience as it exceeded what I expected...the Penthouse was extremely comfortable and what a stunning view...the balcony outside, having our B'fast was relaxing and enjoyable..
The quality & variety of food was fabulous and to cap it all, the staff have something more than just the training...all of them served with a passion and a wish to please....
Amaara Sky has all the ingredients that a traveller desires in making a hotel stay absolutely Joyous...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Trevor R

Dear Trevor,

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your Amaara Experience and that our staffs passion left a lasting impression on you, Hope to have you back with us at the Amaara Sky on your next visit to Kandy.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

First of all many congratulations on having a wonderful property in Kandy .
Your property is fantastic ! Tastefully furnished and decorated ! Excellent food wonderfully presented ! very big and comfortable bedrooms ! Cozy public areas ! I felt your biggest assets are the fantastic staff from the bell boy to the Manager were very friendly, accommodating , helpful and professional.

Wish you all the best ! We will surely market the property !

Gihan and Suven Karunaratne

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank suven k

Dear Gihan and Suven,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Amaara Sky. I agree that our staff are our biggest assets and I am thrilled that we have left such a lasting impression on you. We would love to welcome you back at the Amaara Sky on your next visit.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed here overnight but would have used this as a main hotel for my holiday if I was stopping in kandy,The Hotel location is on the top of a hill with the most wonderful views over looking kandy.
The hotel staff were welcoming and very friendly, (Great Staff)
The restaurant has great food one of the best meals I had on my holiday to Sri Lanka.

I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Si G
DAmerasinghe, Owner at Amaara Sky Hotel Kandy, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. We appreciate the time you took to publish your thoughts. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, I will pass on your comments to the rest of our staff. They will undoubtedly appreciate your kind words. Please feel free to make us your Main hotel when you visit Kandy again, we would love to have you back.