Mahaweli Reach Hotel
The Secret Kandy(Kandy)
$216
$189
1,201 results
All reviewsthe riversri lankapresidential suitebeautiful hotellarge poolmini barbreakfast buffet isgreat poolrooms are spaciouspool sideluxury hotelvisiting kandystayed here for two nightstuk tukpoolsidedrivertemple
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at the Mahaweli Reach for two nights - 6/7 November.
Due to shortage of staff the service at the Snack Bar was very poor - long wait.
The room we were given was, at best best, satisfactory - The curtains would not fully close. But the most awful thing was the Bathroom - gaps in the ceiling and the there was brown mould all around the base to the cubicle. All in all badly in need of renovation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I would like to thank to everyone in Mahaweli Reach Resort Kandy where I had the possibility to stay few nights in September.
This excellent resort provides accommodation in beautiful, luxury rooms. The services are just perfect, the people (staff) very friendly and helpful!!! It was my pleasure to meet everyone from the staff there every day and I was very sad to leave. The food is great, the choice of food is very wide. I love the dining room with a direct access to the garden, that is really beautiful!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone - families, honeymooners, older people etc. and I will definitelly come back. Thank to all of you for a great experience!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Eva B
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed in October for 2 nights as part of a 2 week tour of Sri Lanka. Arrived at the hotel after a long drive and were greeted by friendly staff and a lovely Strawberry& Guava juice. We sat in reception while our guide checked us in and were then escorted to our room by one of the reception team. We were really impressed by the room which was a twin with 2 double beds on the 2nd floor. The receptionist took time to clearly explain everything about the room and make sure we understood. She did smile when explaining the hotel's wifi charges though as she obviously thought they were overpriced too. Great bathroom with lots of fluffy towels and bathrobes and slippers were also provided. We had a good nights sleep but did get woken by the call to prayer, not that that is the fault of the hotel.

It was raining when we arrived so didn't get chance to use the pool but it looked amazing. Dinner in the restaurant the first night was a buffet and really was outstanding. Service was also excellent. Dinner the next night was a set menu and we didn't enjoy this as much as the menu was quite limited but what we did have was nice. Staff were a little too over-attentive on the second night, hovering over us for the entire time. The breakfast buffet was also excellent.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and it was the best hotel that we stayed in. Would recommend the hotel to anyone and if you haven't visited Kandy you really should as it is a fantastic city with plenty to see and do.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jellifer
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My girlfriend and i stayed at the Mahaweli Reach in June 2011, and from first arriving everything was no bother, we had a superb room, very clean and room service was exceptional.
We were on a Mercury Direct deal from the Mermaid hotel in Kalutara, the drive up from there took over 5 hours but as soon as we arrived we were seated in the lounge and given a cool towel and cold drink which was a blessing.
we stayed overnight but would definately like to stay longer.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I along with my wife and 8 month old daughter traveled SL from 23rd to 29th Oct 2012 and stayed here for 2 nights. Our tour was organised by ToursLanka. Our driver built the expectation by saying its the best hotel on our tour.

PLUSES
1) Check in was quick. We were offered a delicious strawberry + guava welcome drink.
2) Our room had direct river view, however since we were given a twin bed. I requested the reception for a room with a king sized bed and explained that we needed it as our child sometimes sleeps with us, despite the hotel being full, they organised another room with the river view.
3) Very good swimming pool and very nice gardening + landscaping.
4) Breakfast.
5) Mostly friendly staff
6) Fast check out.

MINUS

1) We had requested for a baby cot, we were given a metal cot, which looked straight out of a hospital. It had 3 bars missing, through which a child can easily slip out and had a broken metal bar, which can injure the child. on requesting for a replacement, they got another metal bed and finally got us a wooden cot when we refused the metal replacement. The cots also didnt have bumpers. Considering it is a 5 star they should be having good usable baby cots.... and it really helps to have bumpers which can arranged when a cot is requested. This is an important detail which the hotel doesn't seem to have prioritized.

2) My wife wanted to feed the child and asked to be provided a high chair. the lady in the b'fast area asked my wife to go get it herself, despite see her carrying my daughter. My wife was annoyed and asked her how can she be expected to go fetch it when she is carrying an infant, so the lady arranged for a high chair which was more like a bar stool. Finally after my wife put her foot down, the lady fetched a high chair... which was the standard and much useful IKEA high chair.

3) The bathrooms are far for being 5 star.. they can perhaps be fit for a 3 star. Similar to another reviewer, our basin was also getting clogged.

4) River view is good, however the road on the other side of the river has noisy traffic.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family