Mahaweli Reach Hotel
View 360(Kandy)
  • Pool
The Secret Kandy(Kandy)
1,190 results
All reviewsthe riversri lankapresidential suitebeautiful hotellarge poolmini barbreakfast buffet isgreat poolrooms are spaciouspool sideluxury hotelvisiting kandystayed here for two nightstuk tukpoolsidedrivertemple
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I along with my wife and 8 month old daughter traveled SL from 23rd to 29th Oct 2012 and stayed here for 2 nights. Our tour was organised by ToursLanka. Our driver built the expectation by saying its the best hotel on our tour.

PLUSES
1) Check in was quick. We were offered a delicious strawberry + guava welcome drink.
2) Our room had direct river view, however since we were given a twin bed. I requested the reception for a room with a king sized bed and explained that we needed it as our child sometimes sleeps with us, despite the hotel being full, they organised another room with the river view.
3) Very good swimming pool and very nice gardening + landscaping.
4) Breakfast.
5) Mostly friendly staff
6) Fast check out.

MINUS

1) We had requested for a baby cot, we were given a metal cot, which looked straight out of a hospital. It had 3 bars missing, through which a child can easily slip out and had a broken metal bar, which can injure the child. on requesting for a replacement, they got another metal bed and finally got us a wooden cot when we refused the metal replacement. The cots also didnt have bumpers. Considering it is a 5 star they should be having good usable baby cots.... and it really helps to have bumpers which can arranged when a cot is requested. This is an important detail which the hotel doesn't seem to have prioritized.

2) My wife wanted to feed the child and asked to be provided a high chair. the lady in the b'fast area asked my wife to go get it herself, despite see her carrying my daughter. My wife was annoyed and asked her how can she be expected to go fetch it when she is carrying an infant, so the lady arranged for a high chair which was more like a bar stool. Finally after my wife put her foot down, the lady fetched a high chair... which was the standard and much useful IKEA high chair.

3) The bathrooms are far for being 5 star.. they can perhaps be fit for a 3 star. Similar to another reviewer, our basin was also getting clogged.

4) River view is good, however the road on the other side of the river has noisy traffic.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Most comfortable beds and pillows by far. We also had great buffet meals albeit they ran out of Lion Lager very early in the evening! There is a gym which met my needs as well as a pool which is an oasis amidst the heat in Sri Lanka. A boat ride from a mini jetty landing is possible as the hotel is near the waters. Just a note: We found a few mattresses blocking the exits on the higher floors - a possible fire hazard and not something we expect of a top class hotel though.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was the second hotel on our tour of 7 nights, we stayed for 2 nights and thought it was lovely. The room was huge, and the bathroom more than adequate, though I must admit the towels and face cloths were a bit thin. The public areas were very clean, and the staff in all areas were helpful. The pool and surrounding areas looked very nice but we did not have the opportunity to use it, more the pity. The buffet meals I thought were very average, and like all buffets the food was never very hot, though my husband did have a very nice chicken curry on our first night. The wine and alcoholic drinks were all quite expensive, but local beer and spirits were less expensive, and tasted OK. Overall this was the best room in our 2 week holiday, and I am surprised that some people have stated that the rooms are tired (maybe some have been renovated) because ours was great, and I really cannot understand the negative reviews. Though I must admit to one negative and that was being woken each morning at about 5 am by the call to prayer which seemed to last forever, though this was not a fault of the hotel, just the unfortunate location of the mosque I guess.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river if possible
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Arrived at Mahaweli after a long drive and without any pre-booking. The front desk staff was really nice and helpful.
The suite is large and spacious. With a study, living area with a couple of sofas that look tired, flat screen, and a balcony with a lovely view of the river.
The kingsize bed is really comfy and there is a second flat screen tv.
The bathroom on the contrary, was the only thing we found that was worthy of 5 stars: looked brand new and really lovely, we loved the shower: multiple shower heads shooting at you at the same time, it was very cool. The jacuzzi and everything else was perfect as well.
But the walls are way too thin. you can hear everything that is going on in the corridor and in the room next to you.
Food: the food was average, nothing impressive.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

A large hotel and the suite we stayed in was very tired. Old fashioned shower and the rugs could do with a big clean and the sofas sunk and were uncomfortable to sit in. There is a new block which apparently has modern showers etc. in. Those guests staying in the large block were all woken at 4.30am for call to prayers. The internet which costs 20 dollars a day was very intermittent. The food very average. No fresh juice for breakfast although lots of fresh fruit to eat.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business