“Great restaurant with a great view”

Slightly Chilled Lounge Bar (Bamboo Garden)
Ranked #6 of 145 Restaurants in Kandy
Cuisines: European, Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Ease on into the laidack vibes of Slightly Chilled Lounge.We have the best sunsets in Kandy town and offer, happy hour on beer between 5pm and 6pm, free wifi,live premiership and other live sporting events on a large screen, pool table, great food and friendly service. Please note we are closed on poya days( full moon)and please call for any other public holidays or elections.
“Great restaurant with a great view”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Slightly chilled sits on the 2nd floor of a hillside building overlooking the lake and city of Kandy. The menu is mainly chinese style with local influence and goes from mildy spicy to blow your head off spicy. The veranda has wooden picnic style tables if you want a cool breeze and a view. The staff are friendly and helpful and prices are competitive. The restaurant really does have a laid back chilled atmosphere. Like most places around Kandy lake you will need a tuktuk to get there but that costs pennies and is worth 5 minutes in a tuktuk. Overall a pleasant and relaxing dining experience.

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Jacksonville, Florida
“Mystery meat and questionable hygiene”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was excited for this place based on its high rating here, but it turned out to be a let-down. I caught a glimpse of the kitchens on the way in and rather wished I hadn't. There were definitely some questionable food practices going on. When the food arrived, I was embarrassed to have touted the venue as number one on my trusted travel review website. My family and I ordered from the Asian side of the menu, cuttlefish, chicken, and pork. The cuttlefish was unoffensive, but I discovered four pieces of bone in one morsel of chicken, and the pork was not quality meat. While the portions were generous, the flavors were uninspired. All in all, I would not return.

1 Thank Samantha P
10-06-08, Owner at Slightly Chilled Lounge Bar (Bamboo Garden), responded to this review, July 21, 2013
I was quite shocked to see the heading "mystery meat" because as a native speaker of English this would mean that we are using a substitute meat like wild boar which is more expensive than pork and illegal to sell or dog meat which would not take long before the authorities would find out or customers noticing the difference in taste and also I would not like this done to me and believe in Karma.
Before replying back to you I wanted to try all our pork dishes to see if I can find out where the problem is. I am going to take a wild guess and say you ordered "sizzling pork'
I think I have detected the problem and that is for our sizzling pork dish our cooks cover the meat in seasoning powder before cooking. After the meat is cooked it completely changes the texture of the meat and actually kills the flavour of the meat. Last night I instructed them to cook a sizzling pork without the seasoning added and it tasted much better than with the season so from now on I have told them not to put seasoning on the meat.
As to finding one piece of chicken with 4 bones in it I feel you are nit picking here. I could understand if every piece of meat on the dish had lots of bones but you mentioned one piece. We use breasted chicken and the bone is the soft white bone. In China you would never be served chicken without the bone as they believe the best part is on the bone. If you ordered a chicken in an expensive restaurant in China not only would would it come on the bone but the head and feet would be on the plate. When a foreign customer came to the factory I had shares in and we took him out for lunch we would jokingly say the guest of honour has to eat the head. And lastly, we have stated on our menu that our chicken is slightly boned to let people be aware before ordering.
Now onto the subject of hygiene.
When we first opened we would buy our chicken from wholesale chicken places in town.
However I once visited a chicken slaughter house that supplied wholesale places and I found that after the chicken is slaughtered and skinned there are no deep freezers used to keep fresh. I believe a truck would pick them up and take them to the shop where they would be then put in a freezer.Oh and the freezers are constantly being opened.
This would mean that the chicken would be in a high temperature and is a high risk of contamination.
I decided to stop buying from there and now buy from a large organization where the chicken is slaughtered, skinned packed and frozen in one process. It is delivered to our door step in a van with deep freeze storage and put straight into the meat section of our freezer. We have to pay more from this supplier but I prefer to put the health of my customer over profit. We buy a leg of pork that is freshly slaughtered and delivered to us. Our cooks cut up the pork and it is put into 2 kilo bags which is our daily usage and frozen straight away. Our seafood supplier now keeps all my supplies in a freezer or ice as I do not like to see food left out in the sun. And our vegetables are bought daily.
All our freezers have compartments that are separated into meat, seafood, bread in accordance to the Ministry of Health in Sri Lanka. Our kitchen is washed down every single night from top to bottom. I purposely had an open kitchen so customers can look in as I do not have anything to hide with hygiene in my kitchen. To date I have not seen any reviews where someone has got food poisoning from eating here.
The only thing that I do admit is having dogs in my restaurant. However I do not let them table beg and do not let them run in the kitchen from what a previous complaint was which the person that wrote that had only ever written one review so most people would not take that review seriously. If this was the case I think there would be a lot more complaints and I try my best to eliminate all negative reviews.
However you can not keep everyone happy all of the time and I will get comp!aints.
Also my entrance is not very inviting but as this is not my property and on a lease I do not really want to keep spending money to change the front entrance.
Lastly most of my reviews are from independent travelers that look for places that are mid budget not top end with top end prices. Being a traveler myself I have a good connection with most of my customers thus why most reviews say "Great chilled place"
I am sorry that our place did live up to your expectations.
Regards
Michael
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Seriously Chilled!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

A fantastic little bar & restaurant that lives upto its reviews and is as chilled and relaxed as the name sounds! Super views of kandy town (esp at night) and excellent quality food. Service is also exceptional with attention to detail and friendly staff.

The entrance can look a bit seedy with its neon lights and narrow door, but ladies dont be put off - its perfectly safe even for single women travellers.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank ManoriW
Moscow, Russia
“Fine and chilling”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Good food, good staff. Not expensive. Small plate is really big and big plate is huge. Nice view for Kandy, lake and sitting Buddah. Lounge music, friendly people. And finally very funny and friendly two dogs that are living there.

1 Thank Tina-Valentina
Bunbury
“Great haven with excellent music and food.”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

After arriving in Kandy this afternoon and spending the day walking around it was great to find "the bar", after a few drinks a lovely meal and a view to kill for we left feeling very content and will be back tomorrow night for more of the same. The music is excellent as well.

1 Thank Gypsys40