“Beautiful batik art shop” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jayamali Batiks Studio

Jayamali Batiks Studio
Ranked #1 of 36 Shopping in Kandy
More attraction details
Owner description: Some Guides and Drivers could try to recommend you another batik shop by saying that my shop is closed today or difficult to find, etc;. Please do not believe such people. Please call me or use Google map to find my store easily. My shop is situated inside the Kandy Central Market which is opposite the Kandy Clock Tower and it is not difficult to find as it is a well known local market in Kandy. The shop is open from 9.00am to 6.00pm every day. In case if the shop is closed, please call me or get a free call from the shop which is next to mine as it is a pleasure to open my store for you within next 20 minutes. Jayamali Batiks Studio, one of the most famous batik studios in Kandy, was founded in 1979 by Jayakody. He discovered his talent to create unique batik wall hangings and started the business with very few means at his home as a family business. His unique style of designing modern, artistic and unusual designs to a very high quality fascinated the foreign guests who visited his studio.
Louisville, Kentucky
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Beautiful batik art shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

While shopping the Kandy Central Market, we remembered reading about Jayamali Batiks on Trip Advisor, and once again, the excellent ratings were right on target! CJ is not only a skilled artist and craftsman, but an articulate professional who explained the detailed process for making these treasures. It is no wonder it took so long to decide on a wall hanging considering the wide selection, unique designs and artistic precision. We finally bought two modern batiks. We choose the "working ants" (my name for it) and the "rice paddy workers."

If near Kandy, don't miss this rare opportunity to meet a gifted artist and his superb gallery of art. Just talking with CJ was a treat. We will return again this year for more!

Genova
“Thank you CJ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

I visit Jamayli Batiks last year with my family and we bought 2 beautiful batiks. When we came back to Italy I decided to order to Cj a very big tree of life to make a present for Christmas to my husband. Cj asked me the exact mesurement I would like and he startef his beautiful work. The present has arrived in time and when I have opened the package I was very surprise: the batik was great. My husband had his christmas present in time and I have to thank you Cj because my husband have recived a very special present. We hanged the batik on the big wardrobe we have in our bedroom and the result is great.
It was very easy and very safe asked to Cj to make a new batik for us. Cj was very patient with me and absolutly precise with the mesurement of my wardrobe.
I'm very satisfyte of the result.
I think Cj is an artist and a very nice person.
Anna Italy

Visited December 2013
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing work, amazing owner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

The batiks are just great, the owner is wonderfull, we spent 5 hours with him he showned us everything we had to know about batiks and had an amazing discussion about bouddhisme. It is THE place you have to go in Kandy if you want to buy good quality batiks and if you want to know more about sri lankan people and religion. (As he said, bouddhisme is not a religion but a way of life and karma) Go by yourself, no guide or false guide just you and you will spend a pleasant and great afternoon.

Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful afternoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We've just spent 3 hours in the shop talking with The owner of the store is very patience and you can see that is love what is he doing. We ended up having an 3 hours conversation about several topics, including his family history and Buddhism. He was never pushy, and he provides the best quality-price batik of Kandy. We went to see other shops and factories but we ended up buying 2 batiks today in his shop and we definitely not regretted. If you spend enough time there he might even convince you to stop smoking :).
Keep up the beautiful work and all the best for the future

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Batiks and enthusiastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Found this shop whilst wondering around and was taken by the beautiful batiks. We spent lots of time looking at all the pictures before choosing one to purchase, it was a hard choice as there are so many great ones. We were given lots of information about how they are made which was very interesting and great to see the local tradition done so well.

Visited March 2013