“Convenient. Close to the centre of Kandy”
Review of Hotel Amanda Hills

Hotel Amanda Hills
Ranked #34 of 56 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This hotel is literally up in the hills, which provides great views. A little bit of a pain to get to but at the same time very quiet away from the hussle of Kandy.
Very clean room with everything that you need. A nice "living room area" before entering the room that is communal for 3 rooms of guests. Happy staff. Good breakfast with a lot of food for 1 person.
I felt very safe here and I stayed for 2 nights.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Amanda Hills

Reviewed March 17, 2014

There were five people in our group and we all enjoyed our stay here thoroughly. Jude and the rest of the staff are simply amazing. Very attentive and professional. The rooms were clean, very affordable and comfortable. All the rooms are grouped in three with a common sitting area. Since we rented all three room it felt like we had our own apartment here. AC was extra but there was no need for it. The evenings were quite cool. We hung out a lot at the roof-top restaurant terrace because of the amazing views. The temple of the tooth can also be seen from the terrace and you can walk there as well in 20 minutes. It is a nice walk around the lake especially after eating too much of the great food at Amanda restaurant. Jude was also a chef so we let him decide our meals. The food was amazing. Great breakfast with very generous portions.
Overall the restaurant was great, the rooms comfortable and the view amazing. However the best part of our stay was Jude and the staff, they made this stay amazing.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The view from hotel restaurant is amazing. The restaurant was good and cheap compared to many other hotel restaurants in sri lanka. The breakfast was also the best we had in hotels in this price range and included fruits, pancakes, rice, curry, sauages, egg, toast, orange juice and tea and coffee. The rooms were fairly clean, though quite old. Also towels were old. There are also rooms with great view, though we didn't have one. We chose a room without aircon which was ok at least for one night.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2014

well, i will never forget my staying experience here. I checked in during the morning, however when the staff asked me to show the passport, i found i lost it. This is OMG!!!!!!! I lost my mind, don't know what to do and feel desperate, Jude the manager help me to call everywhere i have been to check if there is any possibility to find my passport back, it was bad luck that i called my embassy to apply for a temporary travel document. Jude help me to arrange the all the things how to go to colombo, call the ambassador try to make it quicker (the ambassador is the good friend of the hotel owner), and also help me to organize the day trip and the transportation from Kandy to Nuwara Eliye after. I am so appreciated and do love this amazing country, the whole trip in Sri Lanka is amazing.

Room Tip: to choose a A/C room is unnecessary as it's quite chill during the night.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Located on Saranankara road, and with access through Rajapilla Mawatha the guest house is centrally located on top of kandy's many hills. Tuk Tuk's will struggle on the approach road, but for those driving theres a little car park. I opted for a non air conditioned room that smelled of body odour which after three nights of leaving all windows open had not abated. I spent so little time in my room yet it really did bother me. I took my own linen but what was provided by the hotel seemed alright. Bathroom was small and had no ventilation but it was functional. I requested that the floor was cleaned. Problems with damp/mildew do not seem to be a concern of the management. There are alot of monkeys around and while tourists feel this is "wildlife" its important to remember they are dangerous and unpredictable animals.

Mr Fernando - the proprietor is warm and welcoming. His staff were very obliging and accomodating of my repeated requests to clean my room, and they made me dinner on short notice one evening too.

For the price you pay this is good value for money and the service is good. Some basic maintenance and looking after of the rooms/bathrooms would go a long way i think.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems opt for rooms on the ground floor. All the windows have grills making...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed with my wife, rooms are very small, it's almost not possible to move.... Our room so close to stages so it was noisy and room has no isolation, very easily you can hear your neighbour...Food and staff were cool...Only 2 good thing about that hotel

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank egemennemli
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

For what you can get in this area the prices are far to high, the management is really unfriendly and the room is dirty:
- we were shown a room with aircon - in the evening we wanted to turn it on- and were told that we had to pay 2500 extra..complaining that nobody told us this before the management said that this is our problem and that they will "punish" the poor boy who showed the room, no excuse, no compromise.
By the way,the windows dont close,there is no mosquito net,the bath is dirty and there was blood on the pillow in the bed.
NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL - for 45$ in a small room...luckily we only stayed one night.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple