“Riverside, jungle hideaway with delightful family”
Review of Kandy Guest House

Kandy Guest House
Ranked #5 of 438 Kandy B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2013

George and his family do very well filling and promoting this hard to find hideaway. And they deserve their success because they put a lot of effort into it. Any request is promptly attended to by the very efficient and business-minded George - who also runs a travel agency, named after his delightfully bubbly and welcoming daughter Michelle. Mrs George is always quietly smiling and serves great food. Her assistant/maid too is always smiling, fast and strong! The whole family really made the 5 of us feel 'at home' and cared for.

While the house is about 30 mins from Kandy it is easy enough to get in to the city by btuk-tuk followed by train or bus, The GH is well located for the wonderful Botanical Garden and some delightful lesser visited temples in the area.

Although the house is surrounded by greenery, with a river at the bottom of the garden, the house is dry, fresh, very clean and welcoming. I had the lowest floor room - perhaps less spacious than those on the main floor - but still it was comfortable, well appointed and good to sleep in.

Room Tip: The two main floor rooms are more attractive than the one room on the lower floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pollencin
There are newer reviews for Kandy Guest House

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed with George and the family for 1 night on 26th december 2012. His guest house is 20 mins from Kandy city centre, our driver was cribbing about the route like always, but it was an absolute delight when we reached the guest house, clean rooms and toilets, nice clean towels. Our room was right next to the river and we could hear the sound of the river throughout the night, which was amazing. Next day in the morning George's wife cooked amazing breakfast for us, it was yummy :) I would highly recommend George's guest house, value for money and an amazing family to be with but getting there is slight tricky, so it would be difficult if you don't have your own car/transport.

Room Tip: Take the room outside the main building, right next to the river.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed with George and his family in Nov 2012 for one night. he has a beautiful house a 10-15min drive from the town.

first impression - the house was beautiful and his family are extremely gracious hosts.
Our room was beautiful, plenty of space, and clean to a fault.
The bathroom was if anything even cleaner than the room and wouldn't be out of place in a 4 star hotel.
Breakfast was a real fun experience, we chose to sit on the porch outside our room with the view of the river. there was a good variety of eggs,toast,fruits and Sri Lankan roti :) i really regretted my decision not to stay for lunch.
We had a 15min conversation with George during breakfast and you really get the sense of pride that he takes in his establishment. Pride that translates into a very well run, comfortable and in fact dream guest house.
I recommend his place very highly to family's and couples.

Room Tip: We chose the room by the river and it was simply superb. i recomend it if you dont have young childr...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank yajas66
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I travelled to Sri Lanka with my wife and two children for 2 weeks in November/December 2012. Unlike our other travels, I chose not to plan this trip and only arranged 4 nights accommodation at the Hilton Residency Colombo, and had left the rest to my children. I had wanted my son and daughter to plan the trip with little or no assistance from my wife and I. This included making reservations and travel arrangements,. My son is 14 and his sister 12. My children found Kandy Guest House and the lovely people that we met. It was our first experience at a Guest House / Homestay I have asked them to contribute to this review;-

my son;
"Dear Uncle George,
Thank you very much for all the assistance that you provided to us. Your participation in the planning of this trip was instrumental and we probably would not have achieved what we did if it was not for you. Your guest house was wonderful and I liked it very much. Your family's hospitality and warmth was what made the Guest House great. I really enjoyed your company and I will definitely recommend your Guest House to anyone I know who is going to Kandy"

my daughter
"Kandy Guest house is a very clean place to stay with a very beautiful river flowing behind it. The owners of the Guest house were very kind and hospitable people. Very delicious authentic Sri Lankan food was served. The Guest House is not far from Kandy town & the Guest House provided transport. Definitely a place to remember"

The owners of the Guesthouse (George & Anne, and their lovely children) were extremely hospitable and went out of the way to make our stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible. George runs a travel agency and their rates were the most reasonable we encountered in Sri Lanka. Above all, his knowledge as a tour operator coupled with his honesty and sincerity impressed my wife and I the most. Whether one would choose to stay at Kandy Guesthouse or otherwise, I would certainly recommend George to travelers to Sri Lanka.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed with George and his family for a night when traveling through Sri Lanka last month. His home is very well kept and it was an enjoyable experience, located a short distance away from the crazy traffic of Kandy. Particularly notable was the amazing food his wife prepared for both breakfast and dinner. In a country where I found it difficult to get a good meal of Sri Lankan cuisine, this was an amazing and refreshing change of pace. I also arranged my travels with through is services and wasoverall very pleased. Thanks George!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 16, 2012

As part of our trip, we stayed as guests in George's house. We were apart from the family, it was peaceful and very quiet. The room was very neat, the bathroom facilities adequate and the view from the balcony stunning. We left the balcony door open and slept with the sound of the river running below us, very soothing. The family went out of their way to make us feel at home and the food was absolutely superb. We can defenitely recommend this guesthouse.

Room Tip: This is a great place to stay and experience the Sri lankan family way. All the rooms have a view of...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2012

As some others have noted this is NOT A GUESTHOUSE. You are staying with a family and renting a room in a family's home that includes three kids. I say all this because this may not be for everyone. Also the house is not in Kandy. It is about a 20 minute train ride away from Kandy and is about another 15 minute tuk tuk ride to the Peradeniya train station. This means that if you wish to go into Kandy, you have to spend about LKR 150 for a tuk tuk to the train station, spend time at the rail junction until a train arrives and then go through that again on the way back. The part that can be annoying is that the house is not on a main road and many of the tuk tuk drivers didn't know where it was located. That meant making phone calls to the house and figuring out how to get there from the train station. This may all sound like fun and adventurous for one night but after the first time it can be annoying.

Breakfast was included and was quite nice, gave you chance to taste home made Sri Lankan food. The rooms were simple and clean. WiFi was included. This may sound like a strange thing to say but the best part of staying there were the owners three children. They were very well behaved, well spoken and friendly.

Most of the other guests I encountered while there stayed only for one night, as they were on their way back from other parts of Sri Lanka and were taking the train the next day to Colombo. Overall as I mentioned this may not be for everyone, but if you are looking to meet and interact with the locals, this was a great way to do it. Just be aware of the location and the living arrangement.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank brianonthego
George M, Owner at Kandy Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2012

Dear Sir / Madam

The review you have written contains wrong information. You can see below all the reviews are in favour of Kandy Guesthouse, but because of the incorrect information included in your review, it could be misleading to any of the new guests who'd be refering to our Tripadvisor page before booking with us.

Please note that as we have even mentioned in our website, the guesthouse is situated in kandy, but not in the city. It is situated away from the crowded traffic bound city area. A train from Kandy would only take 10 mins Max to get to Peradeniya railway station. And if you had taken a tuktuk from the tuktuk park near the station, all of them know where Kandy Guesthouse is, or where George's guesthouse is. I'm sorry to know that you had a bad experience in getting to our guesthouse.

But I would like to humbly request you to do anything possible to correct the wrong information provided here since it could be misleading to anyone who's seeing your review.

kind regards