“Very expensive with really bad services”

and 1 more site!
Royal Tourist Lodge
Ranked #34 of 360 Specialty Lodging in Kandy
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I spent to night with my family, with that much of money we could have stayed in 4 or 5 star hotel with everything available. Tea in ur room and hot water maker + complaint water but none of them was available and the shower area in the toilet if u r not very thin then u will not fit there. And one more thing once we get down for check out not even hello or good morning just ur bill to pay. Money is everything

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank peacepilot2
Razik, Owner at Royal Tourist Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Response to my Brother Arab Guest:- I can understand the disappointment of my guest who arrived during the height of the festival ( Perehera ) season.The room prices in all the hotels around Kandy are doubled or more.My guest is well aware of the prices and facilities offered in 5 and 4 star hotels and the only reason he booked in with us was due to nonavailability of free rooms in hotels and he chose next best option and he should consider himself lucky to find accommodation in my place.He stayed for 2 nights with 2 children though only 1 child was allowed to share the room and did not order anything from the hotel during his stay.I agree with my guest the shower cubicle is small but my guest & his wife being small made people this would not have bothered them.I greeted my guest saying assalamu alliakum.If I had not greeted him saying good morning I am sorry about it but the guest should understand good morning does not belong only to the host.If the guest had greeted me saying good morning & smiled a vee bit he is not charged for it & he would not have lost anything.

There are newer reviews for Royal Tourist Lodge

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We didn't realise it was festival time in Kandy when we visited, so prices were much more expensive than usual - check when you are visiting!

The room itself was lovely, but the bathroom was quite dated and could be updated. But we had no problem getting hot water. The garden is beautiful and well kept, providing a great setting for eating. It's set back from the main road up a hill, so nice and quiet, but still really easy to get to the centre of town. It's slightly away from the hustle and bustle of the centre, but don't let this put you off.

Razik and his wife were lovely hosts, incredibly attentive, always wanting to chat! They were very helpful with organising us transport for various things. They also organised to get us tickets for the festival, which was great, but a little more expensive than anticipated, and a bit if a shock when we got our bill!

The food that their cook prepares and serves was delicious, different each night. Healthy portions, good value for money - we would reccommend eating there!

Altogether a great place to stay in Kandy with great hosts!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Charlotterobson87
Razik, Manager at Royal Tourist Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you very much for your lovely review and we are happy you enjoyed your stay.
Razik & Nasli

Reviewed August 11, 2013

The lodge is very well maintained, tidy, clean and feel like home. It has a nice manicured garden as well - a nice place to relax especially in cool morning breezes in Kandy.

The room is nice with garden view. Hot water didn't work in my room though... It was late at night so I didn't bother to ask the owner to check.

Walking distance to the lake. 15' walk to Tooth Relic Temple. The road is dark at night so recommended to take a tuk tuk. Walking in the morning is very enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Razik, Owner at Royal Tourist Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review about my place.The hot water system is powered by solar system.The tank is on top of the roof and it takes a little over 5 minutes after opening the tap to get hot water.It is explained in the notice kept in the room.I am sorry this happened.If I was contacted I would have explained.
Razik

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Tired after a long car drive from Habarama, we were greeted by our extremely welcoming hosts, Razik and Nasli. The room was very clean and comfortable (had a fridge!) and plenty of powerpoints to recharge electrical equipment. Razik explained everything about the hotel, ie., ensuring mosquitos and monkeys did not spoil our stay. Both hosts were knowledgeable of tourist trips within the vicinity - and that afternoon we were able to purchase tickets from them for us to go and see the traditional dancing at the arts centre (well worth it!) We ate lovely breakfasts on the patio. They will cater to any dietary requests, you just need to ask. In the evening we decided to have dinner there too. We would highly recommend any guest to purchase the dinner produced by Nasli and her wonderful chef, who has been with them for 31 years. The traditional Sri Lankan food is different every night,and is fantastic in taste and quality. The quantity was just right for us too., What made our four night stay there particularly special was the attentiveness and humour of both Razik and Nasli...they are lovely hosts who enjoy sharing stories and laughter. We would definitely revisit them if we visit Kandy again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for the lovely & encouraging long and thoughtful review.We are very happy to note you enjoyed your stay with us & hope you will visit us again.
Razik & Nasli

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights on the way to the east coast. The guest house was a lovely quiet location with beautiful gardens, views and very nice rooms (comfy beds). The family were extremely welcoming and helpful with arrangements for transport.
We ate both nights at the guest house as the food was so good and breakfast on the veranda was a real treat.

We were also lucky enough to meet a lovely tuk tuk driver called Anas when we arrived at the bus station. He took us for a full day tour of Kandy and the attractions (elephants, tea plantations, temples etc). He was friendly, knowledgeable and very relaxed. Call him to arrange pick up and/or day tour on 0771828555, he really was a lovely man.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank judith1825
Razik M, Owner at Royal Tourist Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

We thank you for encouraging review and happy to note you enjoyed our food and hospitalty

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed at this place one night on our recent tour of Sri Lanka. We had booked the triple room which was large and clean. Our daughter enjoyed the mosquito netting around her bed, and used it though there weren't really any mosquitoes! We were looked after very well by the owners daughter, We had a fortifying breakfast and some great conversation too!
The Lodge is not too far from town, but with kids in tow it is not really in walking distance either. The Lodge gardens are beautiful, and looked even better in the cool though slightly wet weather. The only feedback we have for the owners is that the water in the shower was lukewarm at best and had to be coaxed out of the showerhead! Would stay here again if we were passing through.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Razik, Owner at Royal Tourist Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Happy to note you liked my place and enjoyed your stay with your daughter & wife.I am happy to note my daughter looked after you well during my absence.While thanking you for your lovely review. I welcome your suggestion which will be attended to.
Razik

Reviewed June 6, 2013

My two daughters and I stayed at your hotel three nights, From May 21 to may 24. Your daughter was runningen the hotel these days. We had a wonderful stay, and your daughter made us lovely dinner, the best dinner during our roundtrip in Sri Lanka. And she was so helpful with everything. I can indeed recommend this hotel and If I come backI will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Razik, Owner at Royal Tourist Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

I am happy to note you enjoyed your stay at my place and my daughter attended to all your requirements and made you and your daughters comfortable.I heard from my daughter that you and your daughters were adorable person.