“Relaxing place with outstanding service”

Royal Tourist Lodge
Ranked #29 of 333 Specialty Lodging in Kandy
Erembodegem, Belgium
“Relaxing place with outstanding service”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My partner and I spent 4 nights (21 april - 25 april 2013) in this lovely family hotel run by Razik and his wife who made us feel at home right away. As we planned to start our 3 weeks journey throughout Sri Lanka in Kandy, we initially booked 2 nights at the Royal Tourist Lodge by sending a simple email from Belgium. Upon arrival at the airport of Colombo Mr.Razik arranged a pick up who brought us straight to his cosy place in the lush surroundings of Kandy.

The spacious rooms are very clean, with excellent silent fans and airco which don't make unexpected terrible noises that wake you up in most other places in the tropics, a fridge that really keeps your drinks cold and a bathroom that provides the necessary watersupplies to take enough showers if needed.

But what striked us most was the outstanding assistance Mr.Razik gave us during our stay...
For some it might sound as being pushy on requiries, but by asking what our plans were, where we wanted to go, what we wanted to see and what regions we intended to visit during the rest of our trip, he gave us so much local information that we altered our agenda according to that.
We've discussed several options of daytrips in Kandy, Mr.Razik took care of all the necessary transports to and from, tickets and guides in such an adapted way that it fully met the way we wanted to travel... We are amateur photographers and we take more time in trekking through nature reserves as "ordinary" tourists because of changing lenses, putting up additional lightsources etc. All those demands were perfectly met by the assistance of guides and drivers throughout our entire stay at the Royal Tourist Lodge, set up by Mr.Razik himself.
Because of it, we extended our stay with 2 more nights so that we could visit the Dambulla Cave temple and the Sigiriya Lion Rock as well and return to this little heaven without having to change hotels.

Another big "thank you" goes to Mr.Raziks wife who prepared some awesome Sri Lankan meals for us and gave us a culinary trip through this exquisite Asian cuisine by preparing rice and curries that stood out in excellence in comparison with other places we've visited later on.

Thank you for a wonderful stay...we loved the warmth you gave us, the local and detailed information about the region and the impressive hospitality you've provided.

Dries & Marion

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Razik, Owner at Royal Tourist Lodge, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
We read with delight your long,thoughtful and well compiled review with much interest and was very happy to note all our advice were taken in good spirit and our efforts to make you two feel at home & comfortable was very successful.
Thanks,
Mr & Mrs Razik

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
wales
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at the Royal Tourist Lodge and we were very well looked after by Razik and his wife. The large and comfortable room with A/C was a perfect place to rest, it opened onto the garden and we had our own small terrace where we ate our breakfast, The view from here was spectacular. WE also ate there on both nights and the home cooked Sri Lankan meal was delicious, Their daughter has a cookery website that I will certainly be investigating to try and replicate some of the amazing dishes. www.mumscookery,blogspot.com We were given excellent advice on where to go and tickets for the evening Kandyan dance performance. Razik can also arrange an airport pick up for you. This is the perfect base from which to explore Kandy and the Cultural triangle.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Razik, Manager at Royal Tourist Lodge, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you very much and I express my gratitude for all the time taken to post a lovely review and giving first hand information and true picture of my place.I earnestly hope this message reaches you.I hope you will one day revisit my place.
Razik & Nasli
Berlin
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed in Royal Torist Lodge in winter 2012 during our travel across India and Sri-Lanka. The owner of this hotel - Razik and his family are very friendly and nice persons, their stories and assistance were very helpful and interesting. Even, we came without at night, and returned two times without reservation - Kandy city did not let us go :-) Rooms and everything were great and for a very reasonable price. The view from terrace is really spectacular
Oleg & Marina,
olegsomewere@gmail.com

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Razik, Owner at Royal Tourist Lodge, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thanks for your review and happy to note you enjoyed your stay at my place.
Razik
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Me and my two kids stayed at Royal Tourist Lodge almost 1 year ago. I think my children enjoyed the garden more than anything. As for me, my job as a single mother was greatly reduced because of the friendly advise and help I got from the owners. They were kind in pointing out exactly how I could make the trip to the Northern and North Central Provinces more economical and thereby I saved me some time and a lot of frustration.

The room was very clean and had sat TV in addition to Air Conditioning and a Mini Bar.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Brea, California
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Though this is my first review on TripAdvisor, I have frequented Sri Lanka before (in 2010). What I loved about Royal Tourist Lodge was their professionalism. When I booked online, I received a personal reply within 1 day and every little question I asked was promptly replied to. This sort of personal communication is extremely helpful when it comes to foreign travel.

The other thing which I must highlight is the food! Absolutely scrumptious! I did eat outside on 2 occasions, but I do not think it was worth the effort as eating in was a more pleasurable and relaxing experience.

The price was slightly higher than the competition, but when considering the value for money there is no doubt that this place gives the best deal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed in the Royal Tourist Lodge for 2 nights during my visit to Kandy. The place is extremely convenient as it is close to the Temple of Truth and the beautiful Kandy Lake. On the second day I even managed to include a walk around the lake early in the morning. The bedrooms are comfortable and the food is delicious! Special mention about the wonderful open garden!!! I witnessed some beautiful birds.... Thank you so much for taking such good care of me!

Room Tip: Take time to visit the Temple of the Tooth (Dalada Maligawa)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Carla E
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We booked for three nights at the Royal Tourist Lodge after reading good Trip Advisor reviews. In the end we booked for a further night and we were reluctant to leave. The owners were absolutely lovely and couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome. The room was immaculately clean, with a roomy wardrobe which is nice if you are staying for a couple of nights. Bed was blissfully comfortable and air con efficient. It's in a quiet location up the hill but only a short tuk tuk ride from the centre of Kandy. We ate at the guest house every night we were there and the food was freshly prepared, delicious and more than we could eat. No alcohol is served but I think guests can bring their own (check first). The owners were able to suggest trips and itineraries which was helpful for us as we were unsure about some details of our onward journey. Altogether top marks.

• Stayed February 2013
Razik, Owner at Royal Tourist Lodge, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
I take this opportunity in thanking profusely Julie & Richard for giving a true picture of my place and the thoughtful review posted to the Trip Adviser.My wife and I really enjoyed hosting you two.
Razik & Nasli