“an authentic Sri Lankan home experience!”
Review of Hanthana House

Hanthana House
Ranked #1 of 406 Kandy B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“an authentic Sri Lankan home experience!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We opted for this Sri Lankan home as we prefer a real Sri Lankan home experience after almost all the good hotels are fully booked because of the Esala Perahera Festival (happening on July and AUgust).

We got lost going up to the hill to find the hotel as our driver/guide has never brought visitors there yet. So Pathi, the man who manages the house, is quite helpful by calling our driver/guide from time to time until we reached the place.

We were greeted by Pathi and his wife (which i'm so sorry, i forgot her name!)and welcomed us with king coconut drinks and showed us our room. We regret that we need to go back to town soon as we needed to secure our seats for the festival early (as they will close the roads and will be difficult for parking) coz Pathi and his wife offered us to teach Sri Lankan home cooking :(

Then Pathi said, maybe we can just have drinks when we come back. But unfortunately, the festival ended at 11pm and our driver/guide didn't call Pathi that we are on our way back so he wasn't there when we arrived. The next morning, they prepared us a traditional Sri Lankan breakfast which is really good.

The house has only 4 bedrooms, and Pathi and his family stays few steps from the house. AT that time, we were just the only visitor, so we felt we own the whole 4-bedroom house hehehe. Our room has very clean linens and bathroom with tub and has a good view on top of the hill. THERE IS NO AIRCON btw, but it was cool enough with the ceiling fan as it is on top of the hill anyway.

This is a good house if you are staying longer in Kandy. I feel that our stay is not enough. We promised Pathi that when we come back to Kandy, we will stay longer ;)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank shylla s
Thanks alot for your lovely review ! It helped us alot .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

Wow, what a fantastic experience I had here as part of my Tikalanka Tour. I can't even start to say all the things I will remember from this leg of my super trip to SL.

Pathi arranged for me to be met at the station by a great Tuk Tuk driver (he called an told me exactly who to expect) and I was delivered directly to the door, to be met by all of his family. His teenage son had superb English had we exchanged a fair amount of banter as we sat in the clean and spacious lounge.

Every night dinner was an absolute delight to eat with the family and Suba created stunning food, I felt like I had tasted some of the real SL food. Bread fruit curry, gourd sambaal, a range of different fish curries, ..., ..., I could go one.

Every need I had for my time in Kandy was catered for and whilt I fitted so much into the trip (only 4 days at HH) Pathi and Suba made it feel like it was a total rest as well. I'm so glad I decided to stay here an extra two nights rather than staying up in Sigyria area (I took a day trip) as it felt like I did experience more of a local SL.

My recommendation: stay here as part of your tour, you'd be crazy not to and ask Pathi's daughter to play the piano for you, she's great!

I want to continue writing about how helpful Pathi was but you would probably think I was 'over egging' the pudding. But I'm not.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank enjoys_travels
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Stayed here for one night as part of an excellent tour with Tikalanka Tours. Hanthana House itself is spacious, clean and minimalist and the four rooms have balconies overlooking the Hanthana hills. It is peaceful (other than the abundant bird life) and secluded. There is no air-conditioning, but being in the hills the temperature is a bit lower than nearer the coast so this was not a problem for us.

The clear highlight for us was the food. Pathi, who manages the house and also operates the Sri Lankan end of Tikalanka, lives 50m down the road and meals are taken with his family, cooked by his lovely wife Suba. The family are welcoming and friendly, and the evening meal (rice and a multitude of curries) was some of the best we had during our trip. The power went out shortly before we arrived, so we ate by candlelight, which was lovely. Unfortunately our schedule meant we didn't have time for a cookery lesson, which we regret now we're home and want to introduce our friends to Sri Lankan cuisine!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RedFour
Glasgow
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We spent 3 nights here, while we enjoyed part of our Tikalanka tour. Very friendly and helpful. Great balcony with nice view! Very delicious food prepared by out host Patthi and Suba. Patthi went out of his way to make us welcome, took us for a local walk and even drew my attention to a Junglefowl early one morning. Much appreciated.

Be aware that rooms have no air con/fan or mosquito netting.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Steve0001
Ironbridge
Reviewed November 19, 2011

My son Sam and I had had a really excellent three night stay at Hanthana House in the hills above Kandy. The guest house is comfortable and very clean. I had a superb bedroom with ensuite and a balcony with a great view. This place is a top venue if you like watching birds and photographing them and all you need do is sit on the balcony. I saw many different species including Long-billed Sunbird, Hill Myna, Flame Minivet, Yellow-fronted Barbet, Crimson-fronted Barbet, Grey-breasted Prinia, Black-headed Cuckooshrike and Indian Pitta. All these were observed from the balcony. There were many more and something different cropped up each day. Pathi ( the host ) gets Sri Lankan Jungle Fowl at the bottom of his garden. The food is first class Sri Lankan cuisine and very healthy. It is cooked by the family and you get a real taste of Sri Lankan life. The family are lovely and extremely helpful. I hope to revisit Hanthana House.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Rod S
bristol
Reviewed April 18, 2011

One of the highlights of our stay in Sri Lanka was four days, staying in Hanthana House near Kandy, with meals with a local family. The modern well-equipped accommodation was spacious and stylish with wonderful views of the hills around. We had meals with Patthi and Suba and their children in their house nearby - an authentic Sri Lankan experience with delicious home-cooked and largely home-grown food (bananas, pineapple, jackfruit etc. from the garden) and of course, arrack to drink! The family were so friendly and welcoming and we felt very relaxed and at home, becoming guests rather than just tourists. We learned a lot about Sri Lanka and the culture, with conversation ranging widely over many topics. Patthi and Suba offer cookery lessons in Sri Lankan food but I’m afraid we were too busy relaxing on the verandah to take advantage of this! It’s a wonderful place to chill out, when you need a break from the travelling and sightseeing but near enough to Kandy to explore Kandy, too. And it was a real privilege to be welcomed into a Sri Lankan home.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple