See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 11, 2013

i stayed here for 4 nights. if you are coming to kandy go to this guest house and negotiate the price. i paid 1600 rupees for a night for a room with bathroom. but you could negotiate even 1200. be firm and they will reduce the price.they asked me for 2000 but i refused. rooms are clean and with hot water. wifi is provided free and they are very helpful too. all the other guest houses were charging too much in the area. i could not find anything cheaper and nicer.

Date of stay: December 2013
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I booked by telephon
I arrived here I find the staff nice and they help me with good information
BUT is too much expencive
is a poor room , basic and 1500 rupie are too much
look the picture
clean but so basich for this money

Date of stay: December 2013
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is expensive so I suggest you eat out. We had dry chicken fried rice- wasn't great. Also the breakfast is hugely overpriced. The rooms were fine for the budget traveller, we even had hot water in the morning. The staff were super friendly though and the laundry service is great.

Date of stay: October 2013
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Listed in the newest Lonely Planet as a budget option. I can't stand when hotels and guesthouses that are listed as budget options automatically start charging more, even though they keep things the exact same, or even worse! That seems to be the case here. They're cashing in on their listing in the Lonely Planet. This is why I try to avoid places listed in the guide. The restaurant prices are ridiculously high, as are the beer prices - the highest I had seen in Sri Lanka! The only thing budget about this place are the dingy rooms with dirty bathrooms. I don't mind staying in those kinds of places, but I expect to pay budget prices then! Also, I asked for help booking a train ticket, as they advertise that service - but they wouldn't. They also sleep in past 7, which I haven't heard of in Sri Lanka. You'll have to unlock the gate yourself to get out to visit the temple. Just down the road not even 100m, there is a hotel with far superior rooms for almost half the price! (1300 rupees instead of 2000). If you're looking for mid-range options with budget rooms and luxury restaurant prices, then by all means stay here.

Date of stay: September 2013
1  Thank Boarderadam
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We've been staying in hostels all over Sri Lanka for two months and this is the WORST one we've stayed in! The bathroom was so dirty that we were unable to shower, the beds had very mysterious stains on them and the staff were rude!

3 days before our arrival, we had to cancel one of the days of our reservations (as we had to work). When we arrived and saw the state of the room, we (very politely!) asked for a discount. The hotel manager yelled at us for him loosing money on us canceling one of the nights!

At all of the hostels we've stayed at, the Sri Lankan owners have been friendly, helpful and welcoming. At the Lakshmi Guest House we had the only bad experience of our 5 week stay in Sri Lanka.

Avoid it!!!!