“Beautiful views, quiet setting”
Review of Nature Walk Resort

Nature Walk Resort
Ranked #18 of 56 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We stayed 2 days at Nature Walk Resort and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. The views from our room and common areas were breathtaking. It was quiet, except one night a dog barking pretty constantly. The staff was very friendly and kind. Rooms were clean and comfortable. The hot water didn't seem to work the morning we left, but no other problems. A little far away from the town, but an easy walk to the Temple of the Tooth or quick tuk-tuk ride. Overall, I wouldn't call it luxury, but for the price, not sure it could be beat.

Reviewed March 4, 2011

We spent 3 nights at this small hotel a little way from the centre,with friendy staff and management and simple but good food.
A lovely quiet position with comfortable bed ideal for visiting Botanical gardens museums cultural dance etc.
We would also recommend Devon Bakery for a meal.

Reviewed February 28, 2011

I'm afraid I have to differ with the consensus here.

On the positive side, the staff is nice, the food not bad, and guests have free access to the internet when the unit is available. But despite requesting (and getting a confirmation of) a room with a balcony months in advance, we were given one that had only a sliding glass door opening on an open air hallway--that hallway was the source of light and air. There was also a problem with our driver not getting a room despite being told that one would be available. Plus that open air hallway flooded a bit (though not so high to seep into our room) during the rain. It also can be a rather noisy place, both from inside and from some kind of musical practice in the building (school?) next door. And it's literally an unfinished building--not sure if there will be more construction or if it simply will stay as it is. I'd say the view from the hotel is ok, but less of a panorama than some other reviewers seem to imply.

Finally, it is not an easy walk into Kandy, as you're going up and down a dirt/gravelly unlit road much of the way. The climb itself isn't bad if you're fit, but the quality of the road and the lack of lights make it more of a hassle. All in all, perhaps a 25-30 minute walk to the center of town, about half of it up that hill.

That being said, I think how you feel about this place might be a product of what budget you usually travel on. For backpackers and real budget travelers, it might be fine. In addition, we were there when Kandy was not at its finest, since it was experiencing some very unusual, unseasonal rain. (Climate change?) But I'm trying to factor those considerations into my review and not be unfair. We certainly weren't expecting a fancy hotel at all, but were expecting the kind of room we'd been promised and the other aspects to be nicer than they were.

Reviewed February 26, 2011

good location- few minutes from Kandy centre.
we stayed in a very nice room on the 2nd/3rd floor with a view - the rooms are big, clean, new (or renovated).
There are 2 kinds of rooms - with view and without view, pay attention what you book.
the breakfast was good.

we payed 40usd, including breakfast and driver's accommodation- worth the money.

Important tip:
If you travel with a driver, call at least 3/4 days ahead to reserve room as the driver will tell you that there is no problem to book a day before, and then he cannot find a room for you. Do it for every place.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2011

A bit out of town, but this means peace and quiet and plenty of monkeys, squirrels and birdlife. Just keep a copy of the address with you as some of the tuk tuk drivers did not know the place. Breakfast was good and dinner was satisfactory. Best of all was the friendly, casual atmosphere, the balcony overlooking the hills and excellent service. Have already recommended this retreat to people we met while travelling. Would be hard to do better on a budget.
Owner let me use the computer when I needed it, organised a car and driver for us - driver was terrific - and tuk tuks were on hand when needed. We also very much enjoyed a cuppa on the verandah whenever we needed one and we really enjoyed the Kandy dancing next door. Well suited to people of all ages.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I cannot believe people's positive raves about this place. In fact I sometimes was laughing in the middle of the nite when I couldn't sleep because of the very uncomfortable beds and thinking how ridiculous this place is and how astray I was led by so many people.

First of all, this is ABSOLUTELY NOT a resort in any respect. At all. And there is nothing that natural about the place either. There are no natural grounds at the hotel. Really not even trees or anything to speak of. Secondly, almost every single person at the was complaining about their stay. No joke. It was hilarious. Just one complaint after another. Which made me continue to chuckle at all these fantastic reviews.

The people that work at the hotel smile and giggle, often in an overbearing and insincere way. And if you ask for something, they smile and then do NOT follow through! hahahah. It actually became quite funny just watching this as people would ask for things and would be completely DENIED! hahaha!

1) There is NO T.V. at all. I thought there was/would be. In fact at this website, it says they have TV's. And I think I paid through here, the deposit portion of the room. http://go-lanka.com/Kandy/nature_walk/facts.html So that is false advertisement.
2) It also says they have internet access. Well to me, if there is internet access, it is 24/7. It doesn't shut off . We are not children who need to goto bed when the owner decides. Well, at 10 PM it was shut off. I asked the 2nd nite if it could be left on, and I had to basically twist the owners arm. He begrudgingly did it and told me he didn't want to because he does not have a 24 hr a day plan. Well he needs to get one!! And the internet server went down several times a day. So on the 2nd nite, as usual they disregarded a guest's wish and turned it off! I had to run downstairs to get it turned back on!
3) This is UNBELIEVABLE...they have no ability to charge the room by credit card! That is the most unbelievably ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life! And this was never ever told to me until 9 PM at night before I was checking out and I was leaving very early in the AM,so I needed to settle up. I asked the owner what he does when people don't have cash and he said he takes them to a cash machine. That is just ridiculous. AND it is very misleading b/c you are able to pay by credit card for the deposit portion at the website above.
4) The staff stare at you and make you feel quite uncomfortable. And seem very interested in trying to get you to spend endless amounts of money on things in town for which they must get kickbacks. They are quite intrusive. After awhile I learned to laugh it off and many of them are quite nice, but it is overbearing to the point where it really is no longer friendly. Many awkward moments being literally just stared at. I've spent time in multiple hotels in Sri Lanka, and this is the only place that made me feel that way.
5) Very uncomfortable yet clean beds.
6) I paid for a deluxe room and I am not sure what the 10$ USD extra was for except for the air conditioner, b/c I had no balcony. Actually my room literally abutted a wall. It was almost like being in NYC. So you HAVE to ask for certain rooms.
7) One of the people complaining was getting kicked out of their room b/c they someone else booked it and these folks didn't know they were going to have to move out. This place is super disorganized. The book that he uses to keep up with reservations looks like a completely disorganized nightmare!!

The place is very clean though. I have to give them that.

In conclusion, there are many places in Kandy to stay. Do not waste your time at this place. It is really not near anything to walk easily to. Everyone says you can walk to stuff in 10-15 minutes, but not really. There is nothing of consequence in a short distance. Yes, you can take a tuk-tuk very cheaply to things quickly, but I really like to walk to things and I felt trapped at this place. Don't do it, there are tons of places in Kandy and you may be much happier. I am not sure how so many good reviews happened, especially with almost everyone complaining while I was there. Some people even left early.

Anyways, enjoy Kandy and goto local areas in town. You can buy stuff very cheaply if you don't goto touristy areas. I got a huge amount of spices and tea for very little with a colleague who took me to a market with all local folks. So look for it!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank GlendaleCA
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Nature Walk Resort is such a gem. Our 2/F room was beautiful and spotless, with french doors opening up onto the balcony. There is also an open air common area on the 2/F. The manager, Sarath and his staff make you feel at home. Good value as well. I recommended Nature Walk to many fellow travelers going to Kandy.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple