Sevana City Hotel
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We visited Sevana Guest House in March 2013. Initially we booked just one night be we liked the place so much that we decided to stay longer in Kandy and longer in this very guest house. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and at a very good price. The staff is super friendly - the owner provided us with a lot of useful advice. While staying you just have to try the breakfasts. The home-made pineapple marmalade is absolutely delicious. Generally it was the best place we stayed at during our trip to Sri Lanka. I totally recommend it.

Room Tip: We had a room without the AC and with a fan and it was not too hot. The room with a balcony is great...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Me and my wife were there twice now and I thought of put up a review about that place. It is a very safe place for a family. We enjoyed lot. First visit we had an upstairs room which was very clean and comfortable. But the only problem we had was our bed. We had two single beds attached which bit uncomfortable but it was I who unable to motioned that we need double bed. That is the only problem we had in our first visit. But the next time they were very kind to arrange us a double bed which was very relaxing. Truly both of us had a very nice time in that visit. Place is mange by a family who is very friendly. And the next positive thing that I want to mention is that the close proximity to the kandy town which is walking distance. When we visit places one thing we concern much is the toilet facilities, specially the cleanliness. Which I can say very good in this place. This is a place as married couple we are surely love to go. Enjoy your visit there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gayan S
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We chose Sevana Guest House as our base for travels to the area around Kandy and that turned out to be a great decision! It is located only 10 Minutes walking distance to the train- or bus station on the main street of Kandy with just 10 Minutes to the Temple of the Tooth and loads of restaurants, stores and pharmacies within an inch away.

The rooms are very modern, very clean and very lovely, I think the beds were the best we had in Sri Lanka - and we even had a wonderful spacious balcony.

I was a little sick when we arrived in Kandy, but the lady of the house helped me get the right medication at the pharmacy and offered to help when talking to the doctors and pharmacist - thanks to her I got healthy again real quick. Also, she helped us arrange for some tours.

The food is delicious, too. The team really is working creatively and all we tried tasted just awesome. Compared to the cheaper roti stores where you can get rice and curry for 120 Rupies, dinner for 700 Rupies at the hotel is surely a bit more expensive, but we still recommend to indulge. It is about the same price as the regular restaurants in Kandy, but the taste and quality is much better.

We really recommend this place to anyone! The prices are absolutely reasonable and the hotel is better standard than most of the guesthouses we stayed in - Sevana Guest House really is a good pick.

2  Thank Silbani
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Room was clean, good bed, very clean sheets, not worse than a *** Hotel level!
The staff was very helpful, prepared us late dinner with the smiley face eggs just like on the pictures. They also organized for us a private trip with A/C car to Nuwara Elya and tea factory, which was very nice. They also offered us more tours, but in some cases we just took the bus and made the trip ourselves (Sigiryia, Pinnawela). By the way if you go to Pinnawela by yourself you must take another bus from Kegalle and NOT rely on the tuk-tuks there, because they took us to some other elephants place, which charged the same as Pinnawela and was totally not it - a usual tourist trap.
Anyway, the location of this guesthouse is pretty central, but if you want to hang out in the evening in places like bars, restaurants - you gonna have to walk for 20min in almost dark streets (or take a tuk-tuk). And once I tried to go out in the evening, but was being told by the staff that there's "nothing to do outside and everything's closed", which in the end appeared to be not true - the karaoke bar there was open all night and there were lots of tourists there. Don't remember the name of it, but it's on the 2nd floor, near "the bake house".

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VadimBelov
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at Sevana Guest House a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed our stay. The guesthouse is in a very central location, near the Temple and lake etc. The family were so lovely and extremely helpful, answering our many questions! They were also very good chefs, we dined very well during our stay. The only thing I would say is don't go for a double room with a balcony as it overlooks the main road and you will get woken up early in the morning by all the tooting and honking. Overall though would definitely recommend staying here.

1  Thank Robyngs
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I definitely recommend this guest house, its clean, friendly, affordable and has a welcome peaceful contrast to the general hustle and bustle of the road it sits on. Definitely value for money, and the sheets are so soft! Thank you for the wonderful experience Sevana guest house!

Priscilla, London

1  Thank PriscillaALondon
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This place surprised me complitely. I stayed for several weeks. Rooms are clean and modern. The bed and pillows were the best I've ever slept in when I travel. The family is so lovely, that I don't know how to thank them enough. Food is heavenly good, mm yam. U will get your loundry washed (best of all, you might get them back in the same day!), doesn't cost much. I highly recommend Sevana Guest House! :) It all just works here. :) If I ever come back to Kandy... I know where to go for the night!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends