Forest - Glen
$33
$32
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsminutes walkingthe ownerpre schoolclose to townbirds singingquiet placenoisy citysri lankalarge roomthe hustle and bustlenice breakfasttooth templeplace to stayriceshort walkcurrynice view
Reviewed January 9, 2010

we stayed just one night,but we really enjoyed the atmosphere,the owner she's such a nice person,really cozy,and the food was excellent.the rooms has a panoramic view in to the forest,and are so clean.A really nice place to saty if you're visiting Kandy,quite cheep.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I visited the famous Perahera festival in Kandy this time; the city was exciting but very crowded and the "Forest Glen" was a perfect place to relax during the daytime. It's a 10min walk from the city only, on the other side of the hill where you can hear an orchestra of bird voices...! You feel like far away from the city, in a djungle, but the climate is very comfortable. The owner (Ms Indra) is very friendly and makes you feel at home in her big house. You can even play piano in the living room, if you like...
The price for the room was higher than normal because of the festival. But it was definitely worth!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2009

I stayed here on the grandest night of the whole Perahera period. I was suprised to find rooms available actually as I rang just 2 days before.
It's a nice place, as everyone else commented, which I won't repeat here. Indra was very helpful and offered to help us with getting seats for Perahear (although we didn't need it in the end).
I just want to mention I didn't sleep well after coming back from the Perahera at 1.30am. I SHOULD have, as I was very tired after a long day, but I could hear guests who also just came back from Perahera talking and walking on the floor above us (we stayed on 2F). Next morning at 7, I woke up by the dog barking loud outside (although I don't think it's a dog on the guesthouse's premises). What's worst was, again, the noise of movement from upstair's rooms. Since no one mentioned this before here, I'm not sure if it's just our room?
And yes, some signage along the road, especially after starting the climbing up of the little hill, would have been more helpful.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I had quite a nice stay at the Forest Glen guest house; the rooms were clean, spacious, tastefully decorated, and finally I encountered a guest house that didn't have just one lightbulb, making it much easier to read or write in the evenings! The owner is top-notch; didn't raise room prices for the Perahera, and got me a decent ticket (but second row, not first row, like she said). It's easy to walk to from the city center and only takes about a 20 minute walk to get to the Temple of the Tooth. Some drawbacks I'd like to mention: 1) there's a noisy dog who might wake you up at night with his barking 2) You'll probably have to get a tuk tuk if you want to get back and it's dark. There weren't enough streetlights on that road for me to feel comfortable walking back. 3) There's no sign for the guesthouse, so it's somewhat difficult to initially find. But that said, I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to people.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2009

I stayed at Forest Glen this January for 5 nights. Having removed 'Castle Hill' from my favorites list i was searching for a nice place in Kandy with a homely atmosphere. I'm so glad about finding this place and having a pleasant stay there.

Location is the most important thing about Forest Glen. It is just ten minutes walk from the city yet totally secluded from all the noise and the crowed. Surrounded by the lush green of the udawatte kele sanctuary it creates a nice and peaceful environment.

I just cant forget the dishes cooked by 'Indra' , she is a very good cook and such nice and friendly person, always attentive.. One must not forget trying a Sri Lankan rice and curry meal made by her.

I had a pleasant time relaxing there at Forest Glenn and definitely hope to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends