Forest - Glen
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsminutes walkingthe ownerpre schoolclose to townbirds singingquiet placenoisy citysri lankalarge roomthe hustle and bustlenice breakfasttooth templeplace to stayriceshort walkcurrynice view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Up the hill the surrounding was green and nice, away from the traffic in Kandy. The rooms were average, very hard beds that creaked with every turn. After what we have seen so far highly overpriced. Indra was not at all friendly to us, we did not feel welcome. I was also very shocked about the racist comments oft her when we rented a motorbike from a Muslim downtown. Suddenly it was easy to imagine over 25 years of ethical war in this beautiful country...

• Stayed: February 2014
forestglen_13, Owner at Forest - Glen, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

I am sorry to hear about the misunderstanding. First of all I would like to say that we sri Lankans are not racists. Please do not try to plant such germs amongst a nation that has always lived in harmony with all races. We never had any prejudices against each other, it seems that the visitors here look at us in a queer way. I never commented the way this lady has written. It was from the time she arrived here she was unfriendly towards me. I did my best tobe curteous.Besides you did make phone calls for which I never charged. I am just surprised at some guests who enjoy the hospitality and write wierd negative comments. may be this is the price you pay for trying tobe friendly.
Management.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Perfect spot just a few hundred metres past entrance of the bird reserve. We saw very many birds early morning during breakfast on the terrace, which has a view on the tree canopy. In the reserve you hear the birds, but they are high up and difficult to spot. Also a quiet place, nice room, good food and friendly service.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank EduardRM
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

3 weeks in Sri Lanka and this was the best: a very kind hostess, comfotable rooms, hot water and a lovele decor. The location is ideal: close to Kandy and the bird sanctuary. The bird chorus in the morning and evening is unforgetable!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jolina P
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Kandy is massively overpriced in general. This place is essentially a hostel so is very basic so overpriced as a result.
Its a lovely homely place in the quiet jungle part of Kandy. Its an easy 15 minutes downhill to town but a tuk-tuk ride back up, especially in the dark!
Run by a lovely, friendly lady so its like staying at someones house. She even got up early at 5am to see us off and give us a take-away breakfast. We had a mix up on our room and had to change rooms after one night, which I was ok about as the rooms at the front are very noisy from people congregating right below and chatting into the night. Its also very open, so noise travels through everything. The beds creak like old ships! My friends with me hated the place, its not to everyones taste. So keep basic in mind, but homely.

Room Tip: The front rooms are noisy!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
forestglen_13, Owner at Forest - Glen, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

How can you say Forest Glen was over priced when you booked through Booking.com and it was $40 for the double room. Sorry for changing rooms. This was because you were given the wrong room in my absence. But I'm sure you had a comfortable stay. I checked the beds out. They do not creak. However, I feel that if ypu hate a place you should be honest and tell it to the face than writing in public.
Indra

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Forest Glen is a family run guest house located on the edge of a small forest reserve. The rooms are quite large and well furnished with clean bathrooms with hot water. The family that runs it are long time residents of Kandy and will welcome you like a family member. Breakfast is good (toast, eggs, fruit tea/coffee etc.) and they also provide delicious home cooked meals on request. The location is a bit away from the main road but its a pleasant walk and from the main road you can get a bus or short tuk tuk ride into the city center. A perfect place to come back to after a day exploring around Kandy. A great place for bird/animal lovers as you can see and hear lots of birds and monkeys in the mornings.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends