“beutiful hostel in the middle of jungle”
Review of Forest - Glen

Forest - Glen
Ranked #43 of 438 Kandy B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This is absolutely beutiful place for relax. Indra (owner) is very friendy and helpful. You can take relax 10min from the city in the middle of rich jungle. The building is clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barbora39
There are newer reviews for Forest - Glen

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Kandy is a very busy city compared to the rest of Sri Lanka. Cars, Tempel, People...so it was the greatest pleasure to walk up the hill for few minutes and find pure nature. No noise, no cars - just a fantastic view in a fantastic house. The owner is a great host. When we arrived she switch us to a room which suited my demand much better.

We could use the internet and PC for free, you can eat there, Tuk Tuk to the city are organised (very cheap) - all you need.
Also the price was very competitive and in terms of price value it was top 1 or 2 during our two week stay.

Enjoy you stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2012

This gorgeous old house is conveniently located in the peaceful hillside above Kandy. The walk down to the town is very quick although coming back after dark you must take a tuk tuk as it is a dark road. The lady owner is very educated, speaking perfect English and happy to help. Breakfast is provided if requested. The rooms are lovely, comfortable, clean and characterful. I did not find the town so appealing as it was very polluted so Forest Glen was a perfect getaway. A great romantic place for couples but good for singles and families too.
Thanks.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We arrived at Forest Glen after an excruciating van trip from the south coast. The road in was a little mysterious at night but we persevered thanks to our driver (he phoned the owner to check we were on the right track) and found a comfortable guesthouse hidden in the forest away from the hustle and bustle of Kandy. We didn't have dinner, but breakfast was nice and our host was warm, helpful and spoke great English. The communal areas are large and patio a lovely spot to relax and take in the hill surround. The rooms were clean and bright, mattress and pillow Sri Lankan standard. Easy to walk into town.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lani H
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The rooms are basic but clean. However, the more finicky traveller may find the towels do not a have a freshly washed smell. Forest Glen is situated in a tranquil tropical forest with beautiful views. The Sri Lankan food cooked by the host was delicious. Although 10 minutes from Kandy Town, the path up to the guest house is steep and not easily accessible at night. This makes for a very bumpy tuk tuk ride up hill which we found enjoyable! Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Forest Glen.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angie200969
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I must start saying I didn't stay in this guesthouse, unfortunately.

After proper booking by e.mail and telephone, and after receiving confirmation of my reservation, I had the bad experience of learning, upon arrival in Kandy, that my rooms had been given to some other people.

The owner recognized her mistake and offered to find an alternative solution. She told me she would phone back within 10 to 15 minutes... I am still waiting for her call. When you are travelling with very young kids, this kind of disagreement puts you in a very difficult situation...

I would like to add that the owner didn't apologize and was of absolutely no support to us.

I do not recommend this place.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Marco P
Indra U, Manager at Forest - Glen, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Thank you. You called me and I told you to call me in 15 minutes. I did not take your number. But I did find a place for you, since I could not reach you I just waited for you to call me. I am really sorry for the misunderstanding. But I do hope you found a pleasant place to stay . Any way my apologies. I registered with tripadvisor only today. That 's why I delayed in writing.
Indra

Reviewed December 7, 2011

Forest Glen is a great value for the money. Kandy Kottage which is just 100 yards down the road is twice the price, has smaller rooms, no view and a less attractive house. The Forest Glen rooms are spotlessly clean, the mosquito nets do not have holes like many places we stayed in, the bathrooms are clean and have good showers, and the owners, Indra and Natil, are delightful, kind and welcoming. They both speak good English. The food is excellent. We had English breakfasts with tropical fruit and wonderful curries. When we had a problem getting money from the ATM machine, Indra extended credit to us for several days. That really was incredible that she would trust two strangers like that. The house is set in a beautiful forest with all kinds of birds and monkeys. The nature preserve is next door and the monkeys have no fear of people and will come very close. There is a Buddhist temple not far from the guest house and you can sometimes hear the monks chanting at dusk, which is charming. One day, there was a puja parade right in front of our door, complete with elephants! The entire stay was enchanting. I cannot recommend this place enough. It is not fancy but it is clean, warm and homey.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter. Rooms in the front have balconies and a view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family