“decent cafe and restaurant”

White House Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 164 Restaurants in Kandy
Cuisines: Chinese, Indian, Italian, Sri Lankan
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: White House is a unique, concept restaurant in the heart of Kandy, a beautiful heritage city in the hills of the central region of Sri Lanka. White House is a bakery, cafe and restaurant all in one. The cafe is modern & trendy compared to the laid back, cosy, wooden themed first floor restaurant. White House serves up a multi cuisine menu including some of the best steaks in town. We also have a real Tandoor to delight all those who love their meats char grilled. What’s more, the fresh bakery & pastry products are a real treat to those who crave for indulgence.
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We initially tried this place downstairs at lunchtime. Good food, clean, decent toilets and cheap.we had rice and curry, great cake selection, lovely milkshakes. mixture of tourists and locals.We went back in the evening and were equally pleased. Lovely room, heritage style, busy, but still had good service. Not the cheapest place we've eaten, but nice decor, all tourists dining there though. Very convenient location.
Would particularly recommend for lunchtime and snacks.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went to this restaurant looking for some Indian food but were really disappointed. They did not have many of the items on the menu. Vegetarian options were even more limited. We finally ordered a butter chicken and a Chicken Tikka with a butter naan, Cheese and Garlic naan and a missi Roti. The Butter chicken tasted like chicken in Onion Chutney with oil having replaced the butter. We had trouble telling the butter naan apart from the Garlic naan. The Chicken Tikka was good but did not come with any accompanying chutneys. We asked for the Aachar that was part of the menu and that was also in the list of menu items not available. The Missi Roti… let’s just say, we did not eat much off.

BTW, none of this mediocrity comes cheap.

I would not recommend this restaurant to anybody.

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Tonight we ate in the restaurant because it was recommended by a friend but I was very disappointed with the service, don't get me wrong the food was very nice but the service was the worst since I've been to Sri Lanka, the restaurant was quiet but we were left waiting awhile for someone to take our order, I eventually had to call a waiter to take over, he didn't
seem happy to be asked to take our order, we received our food and it was very nice, after we finished our mains he came back down and put a comment book in front of my partner and told her to write a comment, he never asked her or even had the manners to say please, our bill shortly arrived without being asked for, we weren't even offered desert or tea. This was the only restaurant that I didn't leave a tip. How difficult is it to smile and have manners?

Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful coffee&cake at The White House.Very clean and modern.Huge array of cakes,pastries,sandwiches&salads.Free wifi.Centrally located.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I had dinner at the White House based on a recommendation from the owner of my guest house. I was a bit perturbed that they had none of what I wished to order from the menu, but the waiter recommended a vegetable curry and parathas which were delicious!