“Food was tasty, but not that cheap or plentiful” 3 of 5 bubbles

Paiva's Restaurant
Ranked #88 of 138 Restaurants in Kandy
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Sri Lankan, Chinese, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Renewed restaurant in year 2016 offering the best of traditional and hearty cuisines of Sri Lankan, Thai, Chinese, Asian by the professional staff. Paiva's Restaurant is located heart of the Kandy City, operate by Kandy City Hotel which is give you the access to all the places in Kandy city within 05 minutes.
Colombo, Sri Lanka
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food was tasty, but not that cheap or plentiful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

I was a bit disappointed by Paiva's. I was eager to eat rice and curry with a beer for once in Sri Lanka, and while indeed they did have beer, they seated us in the upstairs area where only Indian and Chinese dishes are served. The place was a bit of a labyrinth, with what looked like a kottu roti stand on the ground floor, then a somewhat more seedy and smoky drinking room in the back filled with Sri Lankan men, and then a room upstairs that was a bit cleaner (though still smoky) and where plenty of foreigners were seated, I suppose drawn in by the fact that every guidebook mentions this place.

Despite the claims of the young men who decided we needed to be accompanied to the restaurant we already knew about, and the clearly drunk 'manager' (all three of which helped themselves copiously to beer and left me with the bill), 300 Rs for a Lion Lager is not cheap, though of course, it's cheaper than other, more touristy joints. We had a dish of chana masala and a dish of alu saag and one roti, for a total of 450 (yes, they charged 100 Rs for a single roti). The dishes seemed a bit meager to me---we eat at 'local' restaurants constantly in Colombo as well as everywhere we've traveled in Sri Lanka, and if there's one thing you come to expect, it's plentiful food, even if you are paying a premium for beer and tablecloths.

The biggest disappointment was that, despite 'befriending' us and taking advantage of our hospitality by getting himself even drunker, the 'manager' (a skinny guy missing most of his teeth) couldn't even get our order in, so we sat there for hours waiting first to order, and then to get our food. Then we had a bit of conflict when our bill arrived and the pricing made absolutely no sense. Eventually they waived the 10% service charge. In addition to the fact that I paid for much more than I drank, the bill was also higher in that the manager pushed 'strong' beers on us, claiming that he didn't have any regular beer (which was obviously untrue)---'strong' beers are 50 Rs. more.

We clearly had a unique experience as we were seen as an easy mark, despite the fact that we live and work in Sri Lanka, and I ended up paying for the vast majority of the beers not out of gullibility, but because I realized what I was getting myself into when I let the two young men (who were actually nice and not creepy, despite their tout-ish qualities) sit down with us. All in all, we're not bitter, as the night was entertaining. Based on this experience though, and the fact that the creepy manager kept hitting on us, two women in their twenties, and even tried to follow my friend in the bathroom, compels me to note that Paiva's definitely does not receive high marks for customer service.

• Visited June 2011

Toronto, Canada
“Excellent clean food and great value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

for only 250 rs you get rice and 3/4 curries, all very tasty and clean. very friendly service. i strongly receommend this place an easy intro to sri lankan food

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank Debaser1984
London, United Kingdom
“Value for Money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

Ok its not your five star hotel but it does not set itself out to be one in the first place! I thought it was excellent value for money. The location is central, the rooms were clean and the food was excellent. Yes, the service could have been better...the waiters almost were acting like we were doing them a favour coming there but all in all it is ideal for a one or two night stop to look around Kandy. What I liked best about the place is the old authentic charm...yes, the waiters looked as old as the tooth relic but they had some interesting stories to share. The food took some time to come but when it arrived it was tasty and authentic. You also had a choice from Sri Lankan to Chinese and it all tasted pretty good. Hey, I had no complaints when the bill arrived....it certainly was value for money!

• Visited February 2011
Ampara
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not so bad..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

I agree there service not good. But for the price and to the location it is a very good cheap place to stay. According to the rates service is ok ;) . Good place for one to stay alone..

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“This place was empty, dim and dirty when...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2009

This place was empty, dim and dirty when we arrived. The "maitre d" greeted us with a finger up his nose. The waiter seemed as if he'd never seen the menu before. The beer was warm. The food, when it arrived 40 minutes after we ordered it, was mediocre and salty enough to cause hypertension. On the upside, we didn't get food poisoning.