“It is illegal to take antiques out of Sri Lanka”
Review of Waruna Antiques

Waruna Antiques
Ranked #32 of 79 things to do in Kandy
More attraction details
Owner description: Antiques Jewelery Antique Textiles Coins Masks Statues Objects Contemporary And Antique Paintings Wood Carvings
Ontario, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“It is illegal to take antiques out of Sri Lanka”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Nice place to look at only. Huge collection of interesting and valuable artifact. DO NOT BUY.It is illegal to take antiques out of sri lanka. Most antique shops including Waruna's sell goods which are either stolen(especially religious ornaments) or fake. Never the less they are exceedingly expensive. Your bags are scanned at customs when you fly out and you do not want to be caught with antiques and spend your life in prison. The shopkeeper will not be there for you then, despite what he will say to sell you goods. Drivers and guides also get a 40% commission here as with most shops in Kandy.

Visited March 2012
5 Thank Bandula A

Istanbul, Turkey
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A wonderful place to get acquainted with Sri Lankan Antiques and Art”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I was inspired by a 2010 New York Times Travel article to visit Mr. Waruna Jayasinghe's shop. It is not located in Kandy's immediate city center but it is well worth it to take a tuk tuk and experience the beautiful items he has on offer. My friend and I throughly explored his shop in particular rummaging through textiles, choosing Buddhas made from different materials as well as appreciating the gorgeous wooden items. The overall experience was heightened as Waruna was a great host and willing to take the time to answer all our questions about Sri Lanka and the pieces on hand. We ended up spending the entire afternoon there and it was one of the experiences that made my Sri Lanka trip so special. If you are interested in unique souvenirs, antiques and art I recommend visiting!

Visited November 2011
2 Thank Denaoc
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“disappointed”
Reviewed November 23, 2010

i went to the shop cause i read the reviews on trip advisor....once i got there i was really disappointed, didnt see anything worth considering and most of the stuff seemed just junk to me. frankly, i think some of the reviews are done by the people of the shop...

9 Thank PGP76
Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“shopping in sri lanka”
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Waruna Antiques in Kandy is the most interesting shop i visited in SriLanka.
I bought authentic collection of masks, and I found so many other amazing collections of jewelries, statues , textiles and etc..
Actually it was quite difficult for me to leave the shop!
The shop people are very nice, gave me yammy tea and the SriLankan sweets and I had a relaxing moment there.
Basically all the shops here ( and the most of Asian countries) have to pay the 20-40% commissions to the drivers and guides so it's better to go on your own and get good discount for yourself.
I also had terrible time to find the shops I like, because my driver was trying to take me to the cheesy boring souvenir shops who pay 40% commission.Shop address 761 peradeniya rd kandy
Anyway, my advice is DO YOUR SHOPPING ALONE OR ASK YOUR DRIVER OR GUIDE TO STAY IN THE CAR.
Then you can get the good discount from the shops.

9 Thank mikezoo
Sapporo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful antique store in Kandy”
Reviewed June 6, 2008

My wife and I spent a couple of delightful afternoons at Waruna Antiques, at 761 Peradeniya Road. The jewelry, furniture, masks, and Buddhist images give you a real sense of Sri Lanka’s culture and history. The Sri Lankan owner Mr. Waruna and his Japanese wife Yumi are very friendly and knowledgeable, and both speak excellent English. My wife, who does research on beads, was thrilled to find some ancient beads here that reflect the centuries-old trade routes across the Indian Ocean. She had a long talk about the history of Sri Lankan beads with Mr. Waruna.

4 Thank ShibaOne