“Best food, service and courteousy in Sri Lanka”

Majestic Tourist Hotel
Ranked #29 of 56 Hotels in Kandy
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My pal and I were traveling and the proprietor saw us walking up the hill and offered us a lift. We declined as we had booked into another hotel just down the road which incidentally we were more than impressed with. This act of kindness did pursued us to take a look at her rooms just in case we were missing out. Whilst there, were had dinner, which was amazing and probably the best food I had tasted ever during my entire stay. I highly recommend eating here if you're ever in Kandy and please tell me what you had. I had noodles and my pal had rice, needless to say I wish i had both as they were both delicious. It was expensive and was swigged down with 6 bottles of Lion....... Never saw the rooms as the were full and out of respect the owner wouldn't let us in and I found that very impressive. Staff were amazing, owner very courteous all set with fruit bats flying past and all manner of wildlife all around and we were 7 stories up with some amazing views. Highly recommended and worth the climb up the floors to the top of this enchanted establishment.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Brightonleon
There are newer reviews for Majestic Tourist Hotel

Reviewed February 18, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights, after recommendation of one couple we met in Pollonaruwa. Its was a good choice. Clean room with hot water, nice view and beautiful roof terrace when you can watch birds comming down to sleep by lake every evening (they start comming about 6 PM). Free wifi! Food was very good and staff very nice and friendly. The owner gave us the telephone number to call her when we will have any problem in Sri Lanka, we really appreciated it, but didnt need it. Quite further from the center, but nice walk (about 7 minutes to get to the lake!)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Friendly helpful staff. Free wifi. Free breakfast with the best view in town. Clean comfortable rooms. Easy walk into town, slightly more difficult coming back but do-able. What more could the honest backpacker want? Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the best views but rooms at the back are cooler in the shade.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing positive about this hotel to report. I highly recommend no one stay there. The first and most distressing reason for avoiding this hotel at all costs, is that they have an intolerable termite infestation problem. There were over 100 termites that took over my room about one hour into my stay, The management was no where to be found despite my spending 1 hour trying to find any of the staff. I did not sleep because the termites were falling in my eyes and buzzing in my ears. No matter how many I exterminated more kept coming. When I finally found the manager in the morning ( after a horrible night ), I told him about my horrible experience, his response was " THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM". He made no effort to make amends, and was arrogant and indignant. Also, if that wasn't enough,The hotel is extremely far from the city , and makes it very difficult to go to the city. The breakfast was terrible, flies on the food; a real 3rd world experience...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Briangreen007
Reviewed December 12, 2011

stayed in this hostel or 'guest house' as they're called in sri lanka. Very clean and spacious and Joseph the manager was incredibly helpful and friendly. He even drove us to the bottom of the hill, on which the hostel is sat in order for us to get a tuk tuk into the centre of Kandy,

Important to note a couple of things... Do not expect A/C, do not expect a hotel (it is a hostel!!) make sure you let the staff know what time you will be coming home - they lock the outside gate very early and know that the owners are quite religious people and therefore it is not essential but this should be respected - we felt a bit weird about drinking there and cursing in front of the owner. Absolutely not a problem at all but i probably wouldnt stay here is you are looking for a fun filled thailand-esque party night!!

would stay here again :)

Room Tip: ask to stay on the first floor and for a balcony facing down the hill - beautiful views!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2011

this place is about 20 minutes from centre of Kandy,
it is basic clean, has hot water, wifi, breakfast included, the view is nice from the rooftop restaurant, so everything you need
the owners and workers are friendly and helpful, it is quiet of a night so you can have a good night sleep, we had balcony and room on front.

Room Tip: get room on the front
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Having recently stayed at the Majestic, I can report really positive things. The hotel has a great view over looking Kandy- it truly is an exceptional location being close to town, but far enough away to enjoy the great views of Kandy (a 3 minute Tuk tuk ride from down town Kandy).
Joseph, the owner, made us feel very welcome, giving us a ride into Kandy when we first arrived simply to be nice. His son Gihan is probably the kindest person i have met in my travels. He made our experience completely unique, offering us a side of Kandy, and the surrounding country side that we may otherwise not have seen. We where on a budget, but it was well worth getting him as our taxi driver, instead of using local public transport (buses etc).
This is the place i'd recommend most out of anywhere I've stayed. Although the accommodation is nice, and also quite affordable, the staff made the difference.
The review written below is absolute nonsense. I think what best sums up our experience is that I would visit Kandy again in a few years time simply to stay here again.
A truly great time!