“A lovely Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Kalutara
Kempele, Finland
“A lovely Hotel”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

End of the our tour we stayed at Avani Kalutara it was a very nice hotel for us and very friendly staff and the food was very nice. Also earlier we booked our hotel through the Uplanka Tours. during the our stay we enjoyed so much. We have been 5 day tour with Uplanka tours also it was an amazing tour with them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jone r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
UK
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have just got back from a ten day trip to the avani. Firstly I would like to say that the staff are really friendly and will do anything they can to help you. The hotel is beautiful, set in a rural location and always clean. However the hotel lacks entertainment, especially as it is set in a secluded area and has nothing else around it. The food was luke warm and became rather repetitive. The prices in the hotel are rather high compared with anywhere else in Sri Lanka with a glass on watermelon juice costing £2.50 which compared to English prices is not bad but when other places in the area charge 50p its rather annoying. If you want a totally relaxing holiday this is for you, but other areas may have more to offer. Do not use the beach boys for tours! I got taken on a trip which stopped off at every possible tourist trap and was charged for a free massage and £15.00 for ayurvedic creams that contained no herbs whatsoever.

3 Thank Nash99UK
Wembley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Though this hotel appears nice from the onset the stay itself was very disappointing.

Hotel itself
While the rooms are air-conditioned the rest of the building isn't - Its left open but without a breeze you are boiling all the time

There was little choice for food at the buffets, we were in a rather large group of mixed vegetarians and meat eaters. On nights where there was some limited choice for those who ate meat there was hardly anything for the vegetarians and vice versa. Breakfast left little to be desired with curry's and rice as a large part of the meals. We had made some requests for other meals which were never met. There was one evening where there was the option for steak but they ran out within an hour???!!! Food was crawling with ants and flys everywhere.

Sports
The Hotel advertises at having a Fitness centre, if a fitness centre constitutes 3 machines then I have been spoilt.

Disabled access

There is none. Meals were served upstairs where my grandfather was made to hobble or be carried up, there was no option for him to join us by the pool side as there were only steps out there too. No lifts or ramps at all.

Entertainment

There was little to do - no entertainment than a little music on the odd night- Nothing for children to do once the pool is closed. Pool table and darts taken by adults. Pool has one depth. There was one evening where there was a performance but this was clearly because they were in the process of shooting commercial for their hotel.

Management
The worst was the treatment from the managing staff, they were hardly available to speak to about our concerns and when we did it was a nod and a smile and nothing further. We asked for the General Manager and were told a pack of lies, not here, away, on their way. At one point they told us they couldn't call them as they were driving down. we waited in the lobby only to be told she was never on her way.

On the last day we wrote up a list of issues in a letter of complaint (the manager refused to do this). We asked the manager to Sign our copy as proof of delivery. He refused to accept it - stating he would take the letter but could not sign it - we asked where was the proof of us giving it to him? He walked off in mid conversation - We demanded to speak with someone to take the letter and waited 3 hours - missing our train. A new manager arrived he also refused to write or sign anything to confirm receipt of the letter. We asked to take a picture or some way of proof that this complaint was received and would be passed on again he refused. This is very poor customer service.

The only good things I can say was the room was kept quite clean and cool, with free internet access and good selection on the TV - as there was very little entertainment otherwise. The cleaning and bar staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: We had an interconnecting room on the second floor, My uncle was on the third floor where the rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Tara P
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed at the Avani Kalutara in July 2013 with my son and daughter, we had a very relaxing holiday on all inclusive terms. All the staff we came across were efficient and friendly without being obstrusive. We used the buffet restaurant for most meals and found the food to be of high quality with plenty of choice, despite this being low season and the hotel experiencing low occupancy, staff appeared to take pride in their offering. Minor improvements could be made be extending the all inclusive drinks menu to include 'diet' options, and I would have used the fitness centre more often if it were better equipped.

Our only negative experience was away from the hotel. My daughter and I went to the town using one of the tuk-tuk drivers located at the hotel entrance. After visiting a couple of shops we were approached at a local supermarket by a very enthusuastic young man, who claimed to be the hotel restaurant manager, I still can't believe how gullible I was to fall for his patter, he was extremely convincing and rather disturbingly knew enough about my family's stay at the Avani to make him credible. We fell for his lies and allowed ourselves to be taken to Aida Gems in Benetota by taxi, as well as whatever reward this guy received for delivering a customer, this charmer also demanded 8,000 rupees (about £40) for the taxi driver - we paid up 'cos we just wanted to get away. Enjoy the hotel everyone, it's lovely, but look out for the tuk-tuk drivers and beach people - my daughter and I are intelligent women experienced in independant travel and we got caught!

3 Thank LeedsLady_01
SLML, General Manager at AVANI Kalutara Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. Your feedback is very important to us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and service you received at the hotel. Your suggestions regarding the fitness center will be taken into serious consideration and we are currently working on improving our equipment.

It is unfortunate to hear of the bad experience you had with the local guide who had unethically presented himself as a hotel employee. I am saddened and concerned to hear of this deception and sorry that you had to experience such an unfortunate situation. We agree that individuals approaching on open roads should be treated carefully and we as a hotel discourage our guest from building contacts and relationships with the surrounding beach sellers and outside individuals as this will be at your own risk.

Thank you for warning others about your experience and I am sure this account will help others travelers to be more vigilant of such scams.

We hope you will return to us soon and if you require any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours sincerely,

Sigrid Stelling
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed here for a week after a week long tour of Sri Lanka - so we were ready for a rest.
The hotel is cool and calm.
Unfortunately there was a mistake in communication and we were given twin beds - seeing as this was our honeymoon we were a little disappointed. Having spoken to the Kuoni rep the next day, the beds were changed with no complaint. It was just as well we complained otherwise we would not have been able to have received the other 'perks' that honeymooners receive - beach candle light dinner and a joint massage in the spa. The mistake was made by our travel agent and not by the venue.

Food was fine - although by the end of a week you don't ever want to see curry for breakfast again! but there are other options to choose from for all meals. A little more choice maybe helpful and some sort of guide to let you know how hot the curries are.

You get the usual peddlers congregating outside the hotel both front and beach side. This can be a little off putting but once you've strongly said no they tended to leave you alone.

overall I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a lagoon view room as these are further away from the main complex.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Edgecombe_aa
Dubai
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Firstly I should point out that we stayed at this hotel out of season in July, during the monsoon. The location is excellent and many of the staff are extremely friendly. Main issues we had:
1. The advertised sports according to the Agoda and Avani websites should have included sailing and windsurfing. Both were unavailable.
2. The main a la carte restaurant "Moya" was closed 2 of the 3 nights we stayed.
3. The checkout was a complete joke. We finished eating a very nice 'Seafood Night' meal and on returning to the room found that the key would not work. Luckily the cleaning staff were close by and let us in. After changing out of our clothes, getting ready to turn in for the night, we received a phone call stating we had to pay the bill now as no one would be around at 5 am to do it! I changed and went to the reception handed them my bank card and room key asking for it to be recharged so that I could get back in to the room after. The Cashier promptly takes my card and runs it through the remote system.I informed him that he had got me out of bed and asked if he was going to apologise at all, TOTAL SILENCE! I asked if I was going to see a copy of the bill before they ran the amount through and was totally ignored. I was presented with a credit card bill to sign but no bill. I asked again but the cashier totally ignored me.
Eventually he passes me a printed copy of the bill. I asked him what the point was when he had already run the card amount through. Again ignored. Starting to get very annoyed by this point I walked away, actually so annoyed that completely forgot my phone and left it there.
Later there is a knock at the door with one of the reception staff. We did not pay for our meal tonight and had to return to reception to pay. My wife went as by that time I was out of patience with them.

My advise would be do not come here out of season, staff are lovely but the management are a complete joke! Facilities are not as advertised.

3 Thank SteveDXB
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel was arranged direct with Avani online, all went very well with this procedure with quick replies to my mails and confirmation once booked. We arranged an airport pick up with the hotel direct $80 (one way) this is a 3.5 hour trip at least from the airport. I personally would only advise travelling through the day rather than night as the roads are not the best. Upon arrival all appeared very good with a nice local fruit drink on arrival. We were asked to sit in reception while check in was arranged... The lady passed us the check in sheet and said that we were booked B&B in a superior room!!! No sorry I replied we are ALL inclusive in a Junior suite as confirmed by Head Office in Columbo.. Ohhh do you have any evidence of this! I hesitated and began to get my laptop out to prove our booking, but decided I wanted to speak to the Manager. A deputy Manager arrived and apologised and after around 45 mins agreed we did indeed book the Suite and all inclusive basis.. The only problem was the hotel was not prepared for our arrival, no additional bed was in the suite or items i.e. towels,robes etc. A little disappointing that this was not all in hand especially as the hotel came with very good reviews prior to booking. After a rocky start the Manager approached me to apologise about the incident, he offered a complimentary Spa treatment for our troubles, this was fine as my wife was planning on a treatment anyway. Given the time of the year the weather was very good, please bear in mind if you have any phobias about birds there are many crow / raven type birds constantly flying around the coconut trees, they never caused any major issue apart from a few low flyby's. There is also a number of local squirrel / chipmunks that around the pool area, these are real characters and cause no harm.
Breakfast was good with a decent selection of foods, egg station, bacon, baked beans, etc a selection of pastries. lunch and dinner was pretty much the same not a massive change or variety but all very nice.
What I would recommend is the following, an info pack in the room, spa info, local info, safety info basically there was folder in the room but nothing inside no pen no nothing.
We had a very nice stay in the end and totally enjoyed our stay even after a little rocky beginning it is fair to say the hotel the staff are very polite and happy to help you.
All in all a very nice hotel with a few minor items which needs addressing to make it a great hotel.
We were in Room 244

Room Tip: We selected a junior suite, they are located at the far end of the hotel, a little bit of a walk but...
4 Thank BigDanTeesside
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalutara
Royal Palms Beach Hotel
Turyaa Kalutara
Turyaa Kalutara
#5 of 11 in Kalutara
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka

Been to AVANI Kalutara Resort? Share your experiences!