As stated before the staff at this hotel are excellent. All friendly and helpful. It did not seem that staff were looking for tips all the time. Some staff I spoke to have been working here many years.
Rooms, we had standard room, were adequate in size, a large bathroom with good shower. Never any problem with water temperature or pressure. Any problems, we had a bulb go out were fixed quickly and efficiently after a trip to reception. Room boy kept room clean. Large balcony with chairs to sit out on. A british style plug socket in room which is unusual but helpful for our kettle for morning coffee. Safe supplied in room.
Food, never a shortage of good food to eat. Breakfast either english, continental or sri lankan with an egg/omellette cooking station.
Lunch and dinner, good selection of cold starters, plus a very good soup at each mealtime. Good variety of main courses on buffet plus sweets.Drinks served by waiters usually quite quickly. Also a selection of a la carte meals available if required. Food was consistently hot. Dining room is upstairs with steps to top food area. Could have done with a handrail there and not ideal for those with any mobility issues although the hotel provided room service if required.
For a change of scene there are some beach shacks on the beachfront turning left at hotel on the beach. We had some great prawns at Sundown, perched up in tree's like a treehouse.
Swimming pool was cleaned and maintained every day by the pool boys who also looked after the sunbeds. Could do with a few more umbrella's but shade near beach under tree's also.
Bar was fine, all-inclusive covered draught Lion beer, local spirits and soft drinks(not diet) No cocktails included as these were charged extra.
Another swimming pool by massage centre used for games which meant the main pool was quiet. Massage was nice in hotel. Lots cheaper down the beach but we did not try them.
Reception was helful and have details of train times and such. There is a hotel taxi driver but we did not travel around this time so had no need of his services. Local beach boys seemed to all be quite good for trips for those who used them.
Sea is quite rough and shelves steeply, some sand is very coarse. We did not swim in sea as red flag was up each day. Some did but beware current is very strong!
We walked the local area both beachside and train track side. Locals like to chat but we felt happy walkng around. A few more shops up by Tangerine beach hotel.
At Mermaid we had some clothes made by the tailor over the train track(with elephant statue in garden) Very freindly and good quality and price.
We did not watch any evening entertainment preferring early bed or reading.
All in all I would have no hesitation in returning to the Mermaid as it was superb.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mermaid Hotel & Club lies on the golden sands of Mahawaskaduwa; a cosy fishing village in the city of Kalutara which is of religious significance, just 24 miles south of Colombo and 45 miles from the International airport. It is cleverly nestled in a vast coconut grove along a stretch of golden, sandy beach; a perfect get-away for sun, sand and sea lovers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Hotel Mermaid & Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Mermaid And Club
- Resort All Inclusive Mermaid
- Mermaid Hotel Sri Lanka
- Hotel Mermaid & Club Sri Lanka/Kalutara