BEWARE - This hotel is horrific. Everything is a lie that you see. The photos are not relevant they must of been taken 20 years ago - so much so I did not recognise this hotel as the one we stayed in. We went for a romantic break and hated every minute.
The rooms - are a disgrace and you would never want to stay there. The hotel is so run down and everything is old and rotten. Even the bed side lamps were so old and rusty that the rust had eaten away the lamp shade so it had huge holes in it. The bathroom was unbearable.
Everything was musky and old and needs to be knocked down and started again.
I ended up with extremely serious food poising. After the most scary bout of food poising where i has to spend the best part of 3 days in the bathroom we discovered the reason for the illness. When we brought bottled water from the hotel the seal was not always new. We only realised after a few days when i was not getting any better, that the hotel was refilling the bottles with tap water.
As the room was so awful - we complained to the hotel. After much effort when they could see I was in such a terrible way they agreed to move us to their best "suite". This was one of the villa rooms. They assured us it would be clean and better standard.
When we moved (we were only staying 5 days in total) to the new room on the 3rd day we found it too to be dirty. Underneath my pillow was a dead Cockroach! Although the room was a better standard - its was still old and the air conditioning unit did not work.
I was so severely ill finally I was able to get a Doctor to the hotel who said I needed to be taken to hospital. My body was shutting down, i was extremely cold and my body shaking. I was told when back in the UK by my doctor that this was extremely dangerous. After hours spent at the hospital on drips and all sorts of medication, hours waiting for a tuk tuk to get us home - I just wanted to leave the hotel. We had had enough and my partner was also feeling ill from the water too.
At the hospital we asked the doctor for a medical report in case we decided to claim on our insurance. The doctor wrote "food poising".
When we returned to the hotel we said we wanted to leave 1 day early and wanted to fly home. We showed the manager the medical certificate - which he said was a lie!! He called the doctor (small town and everyone knows each other) and made the doctor tell me it was not food posing. The manager said he would not let us leave early - that we had to pay for the 1 night we were not going to be there for - and if we wrote anything on trip advisor he would tell everyone we FORGED a medical certificate and that was a criminal act! He would also close the gates and security would not let us out until we paid.
This hotel is a disgrace. The hotel rating and photos do not reflect the facilities at all. You will be shocked as we were if you go. The hotel is just geared up to take money from foreigners and everyone should be WARNED about going there. You take your welfare into your own hands going there. I would advise NEVER going, unless you want to be ill and waste your money. It may be cheaper than other hotels but it is not worth going at all. We took this hotel as it was a bank holiday and the only one we could get at short notice. This was a mistake.
We managed to get out of this hell hole of a hotel and for our last day checked into the Hilton - where we were very happy at the Hilton with international standards and proper bottled water.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Hibiscus Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hibiscus Beach Hotel
- Hibiscus Beach Kalutara
- Hotel Hibiscus Beach Sri Lanka/Kalutara