“Good, but not that good”

Royal Palms Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kalutara
somerset uk
“Good, but not that good”
Reviewed October 4, 2008

travel date: 9thSept2008
reviewer : 'Drill' from Somerset UK
Travel agent: Mercury Direct
Booking via web site and clarification telephone call
We have just returned from 2 weeks in the Royal Palms beach hotel in Kalutara, Sri Lanka on an 'All In' basis.

Plane journey's were very long and tiring, I recommend to pay the extra and go direct, we went via DOHA. Qatar airways were really good I can only complain that the plane from DOHA to Columbo was an older Airbus A300, not enough entertainment options, all other flights were great and to and from DOHA to Heathrow were on Airbus A330's and were very good with individual LCD monitors and a wide selection of DVD's to choose from and free drinks, free flight socks, blindfold, earphones, earplugs, etc., a menu for meals, attentive cabin crew, etc

Transfer:
On booking, we asked for a taxi to pick us up from the airport and take us to the hotel.
Don't bother!
We arrived at the hotel behind the minibus after a 2 1/2 hour transfer. Not a relaxing introduction to Sri-Lanka ;-(
The expected tip was probably 1000 SR but we measily only tipped 400SR (not knowing what was acceptable) Don't forget he has been paid to collect you by Mercury anyway.

Accommodation:
Reception : Impressive and air-conned.
Hurricane Bar: attached to a large lounge with capable seating and tables available but is NOT Air conditioned and is lacking in atmosphere. Contains a small stagelet ,a full size snooker table and pool table and is where the 'entertainment' happens.
Our Room :
was excellent - beautiful, clean and had good facilities all rooms have a balcony and an ocean view. 'Over the bath' shower was powerful and easy to obtain the required temperature. Linen and 'mosquito prevention' services were excellent and laundry service available at a charge. tea, coffee and bottled water available FOC but Mini bar was expensive and not part of the AI.
we asked for a double bed through Mercury and got a king size there waiting for us.

Service:
Attentive however not up to European professionalism standards, e.g. reaching across you at the dinner table to pick up cutlery or an unsed plate, clearing your table whilst you were still chewing, etc
Tipping is worth it for the lad who does the sun loungers (provides a towel and a cushion) and if you want to sit on the same ones each day he can arrange it. There was no problem finding empty sunloungers what ever the time although you might need his help at peak times.
Tipping is also worth it for the lad(s) who does your room although we saw no discernable difference in either their performance or friendlyness if you didn't.

Entertainment:
In room:
Our TV was a Sony LCD, but I don't think that was the norm. Sattellite was good although didn't have a real uk news channel (i.e. no BBC world news service!) we did have 2 English sport and 1 English film and the National Geographic channels to choose from.
Radio was poor, one channel only and the speaker was in the bathroom, ok for singing in the shower!
In Hotel:
At dinner there was sometimes a live group playing in the dining hall and that was a nice touch. Generally English background music played in the dining hall at other times.
Evening entertainment was very poor! There was always a live act playing music and on 2 occasions during the 2 weeks we had a local event. One was basically a set of belly dancers (called a ballet) and the other was a snake handler and charmer.
Both were ok.
Remember! you are totally reliant onthe hotel for evening entertainment and night life, there is nothing outside ! The only other option is a nightclub at the hotel called 'below zero'. Unfortunately it was not part of the All inclusive and I know no-one who went there. If it was ever on, it was very well soundproofed, we never heard a thing.
Overall - the entertainment was very poor.

Food:
overall it was pretty good. we didn't have any problems with tummy troublesand knew no-one that did. You must expect a good proportion of Sri-Lankan style dishes that are quite spicy, but nothing above a 'Madras' hot dish. They do cater quite well if you don't like the spicy options, with salad (safe to eat) and soup and non spicy hot dishes dependent on what cuisine they are concentrating on that meal time (deisplayed on the events board in the reception and again on entering the eating hall).
They had an a la carte restaurant in a separate building called the 'orient'. They also had an a small a carte grill, however they weren't part of the AI package and not even one visit per week of either were aloud!! We used the grill once and it was good but didn't go to the 'orient' so I can't comment.
The dining room was good and there was a patio area through one of the external exit doors that they frequently used to provide grills and barb-b-q's for mainly breakfast and dinner.

Facilities:
The pool was superb, clean well maintained and interesting, with bubble massage and jacuzzi areas
Beach boys can be very annoying and if given the slightest encouragement, won't leave you alone until you give them some money. They offer trips at 'knock down' prices but to be honest I wouldn't risk it. One of the problems is the insurance and the way they drive(Sri-Lankans in general) you may need it! Each to their own.
The beach and sea is a big let down.
The red flag flies continually and we never saw a lifeguard although they have a specific post for one.
The beach is yellow and black sand and to walk along the beach shows just how dirty it really is and fending off beach boys all in all it isn't pleasant. South (Galle) has much better sandy beaches and swim friendly sea.

Arranged trips:
Assuming you try the trips offered by the agent at the hotel, they are pretty good and ranged from £30-£200 each. We went on a 2 day trip to Kandy that included an overnight stay (AI) in a better 5* hotel (our opinion). The trip cost £127 and was cram packed, including the Elephant orphanage, tea factory, spice gardens, jewel factory (Sapphires are the specialist stone in sri-Lanka), 2 buddhist temples, a sri-lankan houswifes' life, Mask factory, botanical gardens, Sigiriya rock, etc.
Another trip (8:00-17:00)worth looking at was to Galle (£30) A turtle hatchery is on the way and a Dutch forte with lots of beautiful beaches and sea. Also worth asking to see the stick fishermen just along the coast from galle. You can even have a go yourself! (they ask for 3000SR I gave them 1000). (see photo)

Kalutara
A trip to Kalutara set us back 800(total) Sri-Lankan rupees (SR)(£4.50) and you get a Tuc-Tuc trip there and back with a tour guide thrown in. You can get it cheaper and his price was 400 SR but we were impressed and tipped him well.
Here the culture shock hits you but we found it facinating and if you want any Pharmaceuticals they are incredibly cheap. Most things are available 'over-the-counter'.
The area doesn't have a problem with malaria and we didn't have a problem with mosquitoes, but take some deet incase you venture anywhere where they are more prevalent or it happens to be the rainy season (differs between coasts). We only had one short down pour (and that's what it was!) in our 2 weeks but the previous week had 4 days continual rain, so be prepared.

Security:
We never felt threatened, even though the military was in evidence whenever you ventured out, gun toting soldiers at checkpoints whenever you travelled but we were never stopped by any.
However, whilst we were there a bus was blown up in Columbo!
It is recommended that all tourists avoid the public transprot i.e. buses and trains.
We would have loved to try one but decided against it and you mustn't be afraid to 'mix with the masses' at very close quarters.
Crime is generally not a problem in Sri-Lanka.

General:
The people are wonderful.
True they want money but are pleasant even if you don't give them any, they are very understanding. Recommend you don't give to 'sweet looking' kids that run up holding their hands out and talking selanese at you. If you do, word gets around!
In general, the high season is Dec to April.
Many Germans, some Russians and many UK tourists.
Wildlife is great, even in the grouds of the hotel. We had some resident fruit bats in the tree just outside our balcony, they were fascinating and a lot bigger than we had imagined. The occasional snake that slithers between the sun beds are harmless but again fascinating.

Road travel:
If you are a nervous passenger, wear a blindfold! They have virtually the same rules of the road as the UK but it is generally accepted that no-one follows them.
They rely totally on their horn and the brakes!
They generally have seat belts fitted so I suggest you use them.

I know these things are subjective but I have been truthful and as comprehensive as I have time for.
Hope you find it useful.

Any queries, contact me, I will try to help.
best regards and enjoy your holiday
Drill

• Liked — cleanliness, room spec, food, gardens/pool
  • Disliked — some things weren't catered for on the 'all inclusive' accommodation
20 Thank drill1000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2008

Went on all inclusive with big family group - kids and grannies all loved it. Pool fantastic, swim up pool bar was fun for kids ordering non alcoholic cocktails. Mercury direct did great tailor made trips for us eg-to Wadduwa national park- amazing wildlife/elephant,buffalos,hornbills,monkeys, etcRiver cruise to cinnamon plantation fab - so many kingfishers and giant lizards etc Sea too rough to swim in and some touts aggresive - but shop keepers fine and nice lady with sari stall outside hotel. Area hit hard by sunami and still struggling to recover when we went. We enjoyed the hotel food - breakfast was particularly good- evenings great fun and again kids loved giant buffet. I thought my room was ok no complaints - very clean-nice balcony. Staff polite. Really enjoyed drinking in main bar in evening - very relaxing surroundings-no problems with watered down drinks, seemed very alcoholic to me!!! Spa was nice and sister hotel next door has lovely water gardens .

• Liked — fabulous pool
  • Disliked — touts outside hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank surfchickUk
tyne and wear
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Visited royal palms early september was not what we expected from a 5* A.I Hotel the A.I package was a joke you couldnt even get a bottle of coke without making a fuss although they served lemonade, orange, ginger beer freely and you have to sign for every single drink including water.The food left alot to be desired it was very repetitive to say the least , and the evening entertainment was so boring singers that couldn;t sing and musicians that couldnt play .The majority of the staff were rude and miserable although some were very nice a waiter called LUCKY and a barman called AMERAY were a pleasure and most of managment were very pleasent Wont be going back !

• Liked — veiw
5 Thank bobbietyneandwear
Perth
Reviewed September 16, 2008

We have just returned from a 10 night stay after doing the 5 day Sri Lankan Experience Tour. On arrival we were greeted with very friendly and helpful staff. I was a bit disappointed as our room had 2 single beds when we had requested a double bed but I thought that perhaps all double rooms had single beds as on previous holidays this had been the case, but into our second week we noticed that the rooms along the corridor from ours did have double beds. My husband and I felt that the sheets etc on the beds felt a bit damp but I think it is obviously due to the humid weather. I could not fault any member of staff or the meals in the hotel. The meals in the hotel were excellent, the fact that all the meats were cooked fresh in front of you assured you that they were cooked properly and were fresh. As we had done the 5 day tour prior to coming to the hotel we were quite happy to remain in the hotel and chill out, we were glad that we had done the touring part before going to Kalutara as if you wanted to go the the elephant sanctuary etc it was quite a long drive away, so I woud advise touring first and then chilling out. A few residents went out to shop in Kalutara but found that they were bothered by the locals on numerous occasions while trying to shop, again luckily enough we had made numerous purchases while touring.

The only problem that my husband and I had with the hotel is that 2 days prior to us checking out we had asked at the reception if we could keep our room until 6.00pm as we were not being picked up to go to the airport until 9.30pm. We were informed with reception that they would let us know. On the evening before leaving the receptionist called to inform me that there was not a problem and that we could keep our room at a cost of 5,500 Rupees, I said this was not a problem, as this meant that we could enjoy our last day chilling out around the pool. Unfortunately on our day of departure while sunning ourselves by the pool two members of management came at 11.30am and informed us that sorry but they needed our room so had to check out as soon as possible. My husband and I gathered up our stuff went to our room to shower and finish packing, in the time that we got to our room the receptionist called to ask if the porter could collect our cases, I informed her that I would give them a call when I was ready, 4 times the receptionist called, on the 4th time I eventually just told them to come now, this was 12.35pm. My husband and I were now sitting in the reception area of the hotel until 9.30pm with our baggage etc. I was really disappointed as at 3.40pm the doorman asked when we were being picked up, when we informed him he could not believe that we had not been informed that there were showering facilities for residents with late pick ups. By the time he informed us we could not be bothered getting ourselves changed etc. I felt the staff in the hotel were all lovely, helpful and friendly, but felt that even although the reception staff knew that we had been sitting there all day did not even offer us a coffee or juice all day. We just waited until the bar opened and went there for a couple of drinks. Overall we had a great holiday but the events of our last day will be what we remember about the Royal Palms Beach Hotel.

• Liked — The Rooms were very clean and the staff were excellent
  • Disliked — Feeling that the bedding was slightly damp
2 Thank PerthCaz
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Arrived 6th August for a 3 week stay. Good transfer from the airport (2 hours by private taxi arranged). Mercury Direct rep not very good - only saw him once when he tried to sell us trips. Arranged trips from outside the hotel gates with Susantha Silva - excellent value for money. A really nice guy and he will tailor make any trip you want to do. Just ask for him where the tuk tuks wait outside the gates. The room we had (305) was kept clean with fresh linen and towels. The hotel gives you 2 bottles of water every day in the mini bar which were free - you have to pay for anything else out of the minibar. You can get bottled water from the hotel bar any time during the day if you're going out. There was a lot of choice for meals, but no consistency - some weeks the same food would be ok, and the next week it was very, very spicy! Beware! Evening entertainment was awful - singers who couldn't sing, and musicians who couldn't play! There is also no diet coke on the all inclusive - you have to pay for it. Beer is included, along with local spirits. the staff were really nice and always tried to help with any query. they just want you to have a good holiday/

• Liked — Clean rooms and frinedly staff
  • Disliked — Evening entertainment
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank super_c00k
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Royal Palms Beach Hotel Kalutara

I stayed at this hotel for 12 nights in early August with 6 family members, it is supposed to be a 5 star hotel, and ok even by Sri Lankan standards it will not come up to 4 star standards in UK or elsewhere, in my view a 3.5 star at best.
I have stayed at many 4 star hotels in Sri Lanka, all better than Royal Palms and many 5 stars too, and all MUCH better than Royal Palms .

Let me explain in detail:

Arrival:
Warm reception ok, BUT 2 members of our party had not even been allocated a room, good start to a holiday i guess.
Yep, everyone was blaming each other of course, but certainly not a 5 star start right?

Front Office, Guest Relations good, very helpful where they could be.

Rooms:

Ok large with big huge beds, but in my opinion not cleaned to 5 star standards, the females in our family group quickly noticed how dusty and grimy they were, especially the bathrooms , and of course they were correct !, furnished reasonably well.
Showers over bath tubs only functioned well after a little do it yourself repairs!
Also air conditioning was very poor here !, made everything feel very damp, even the bedding, brought this to attention of hotel management who sent engineers to check it out, but they could not rectify the problem, so damp rooms were had by all of us for the holiday duration, not good !, AC is meant to clean air and keep to temperature selected, NOT to keep everything damp.

Best to avoid rooms close to the large pool area, trains run early so likely to wake you before you want to be, train tracks only a few metres away, rooms other side of pool closest to Tangerine Hotel next door much quieter.

Food:
Not at all what you would expect from a 5 star anywhere, every night was a themed night with no other choice should you not like what was on offer, apart from paying a premium to eat in hotel’s non All Inclusive restaurants, not good !, and unforgivable in my view on Sri Lankan night NO Kothu or Hoppers in sight !, BIG mistake here, BBQ night, just a poor selection of sausages and some roast beef, some BBQ i think ! NOT
Several of my family party were ill during the holiday, most probably due to poor preparation and storage of food in restaurant displays.

Table settings? Well where else would you simply find just a knife and fork , side plate and napkin when arriving for meals, no other cutlery or china at all, so go hunting if you are having soup or desserts!, or tea or coffee.
To be fair, salad bar was good, just as well if you don’t like the main courses, or lack of them.

Drinks:
Ok, so an All Inclusive hotel, so only local beverages on offer as usual, no complaints there, BUT be aware that drinks are often watered down, especially Vodka late at night !, yes they know you cannot always tell, on one occasion a Vodka & Tonic was served to me with out the Vodka !, oh sorry just top of glass rim had a dusting !, this was bought to hotel Managers attention and did not happen to us again, but others at hotel said they thought the same had happened to them, so beware !
Beer is a draught one, supposed to be Lion Beer but i have my doubts there as a well practiced Lion Beer drinker!
Local wine only served by glass at lunch/dinner times, fair enough, all All Inclusive hotels are the same in Sri Lanka.

Entertainment:
Usually a duo in bar in evenings, consisting a key board player or guitar player & singer, ok but not exceptional by any means, one night a week a Sri Lankan Cultural show, this was surprisingly very good, i have seen many during all my visits to Sri Lanka and this was one of the good ones, much better than the touristy one at Kandy for instance!, so well done Royal Palms !

Animation team good, and tried to get everyone involved, with plenty to do if you so wished, pool and snooker available in bar but chargeable though, the snooker table has an interesting history, so maybe check that out.

Service:
I thought this was VERY sloppy for one of Sri Lanka’s higher class hotels, could and should have been MUCH better in my view, service improved a little only after a 100 Rupee note was visible, and i though tipping was done AFTER good service, apparently not here at Royal Palms.
Main bar service also improved VERY much for us when it was clear i actually knew a barman from another hotel i use in Sri Lanka !!
Drinks orders were regularly wrong, even after being written down !, in main bar and restaurant.

Pool:
Good sized well cleaned pool with good service for sun loungers and towels, BUT no umbrellas for escaping the searing heat of the sun, had to make do with moving around to find shade from the trees, this is not good considering you will get very badly burned in Sri Lanka if not properly protected.
Kids paddle pool available too.
Pool bar ok, with reasonable service, but only if you happen to there at right time, no wandering waiter service as at many other Sri Lankan hotels.

Holiday Overview

So, did we have a great holiday?, yes of course we did but the hotel didn’t really contribute to this, would i go back to Sri Lanka?, yes of course that goes without saying, BUT not to Royal Palms, sorry but you do not live up to your 5 Star property rating at all, i really do wonder how this rating was given at all to be honest.
So, if you want a nice holiday, AND not too worried that the hotel is not a 5 star as it pretends to be by all means use Royal Palms, BUT if you are particular about service, food and room quality you really should think twice, in my opinion NOT recommended! , i was very happy to be moving back to my usual hotel after the family members had gone home.

I hear you say WHY did i use this hotel at all considering that usually i go to a true 5 star one in Sri Lanka, well the answer is simple, the family wanted an All Inclusive deal, where i go does not offer this.

• Liked — Good sized and clean pool
  • Disliked — Not very clean, and sloppy service for a 5 star hotel
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank travellerguy
Derbyshire
Reviewed August 13, 2008

We have just returned form a two week holiday. The hotel staff were excellent and very helpful.

Rooms spacious and clean, the pool was very big. Staff who worked around pool very helpful.

The hotel had an animation team who would run activities throught the day such as yoga, water aerobics, volleyball, football, crouquet. The entertainment in the evening was poor most nights.

I am a very fussy eater but never struggled to find anything to eat, the food was very good. We went to the sea food resturant whilst there ( only open at the end of the week) the seafood resturant is not included in the all inclusive package but it is definatley worth a visit if you like seafood it cost approx £40 for two of us to eat, for this you got soup, salad,lobster, crab, prawns and fish with rice. If you decide to visit seafood resturant make sure it is on a empty stomach as you get too much food i could not eat all mine and my husband struggled to eat it but it was very nice.

Whilst in sri lanka we did a two day trip tp Kandy where we visited the temple of the tooth, Elephant Orphanage, spice gardens, botanical gardens, the trip was very good, if you are wanting to visit Kandy i would recommend the overnight stop as it takes approx 5- 6 hours to reach Kandy.

We did go onto the beach and we did not feel that we were being pestered, we found that the Sri Lankas on the beach were happy to talk to you but whilst talking to you they would try selling you a trip.

We went to the tangerine beach spa for a coulple of massages and i would recommend the oriental massage, massages cost aporx £20 this would include jacuzzi, steam room and 1 hour massage.

We throuighly enjoyed our stay at the royal palms.

• Liked — Helpful friendly staff, food, pool, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Evening entertainment
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank purplemonkey1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalutara
Tangerine Beach Hotel
The Blue Water
#3 of 10 in Wadduwa
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota

Been to Royal Palms Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!