Royal Palms Beach Hotel
$198
$188
Priceline
1,397 results
All reviewsjapanese restauranthurricane barpool barcabana restaurantsri lankamain restaurantanimation teamday tourcrazy golflarge pooltrain linepool staffall inclusive packagewater aerobicssister hotelgreat holidaydifferent theme
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Lovely Friendly staff. Always happy to help ,service with a smile. Rooms Clean and spacious. Beach Not the best Although area outside hotel was clear of debris , but not touts. Food Excellent Always plenty to choose from, and theme nights most evenings. Evening Entertainment good. Daytime activities and staff were excellent.

Room Tip: What we seen all nice
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Yet again I have had a fantastic holiday at the Royal Palms. A massive thankyou to Ravi and all his staff for making my stay so enjoyable.
There are too many to mention but to the poll staff, the restraunt staff , the bell boy staff and of course the reception and room cleaning staff a very big thankyou for looking after me on my 5th visit to this great hotel

Room Tip: I always go for the better view if a room is available overlooking the pool and pool bar area.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Rich326
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Excellent Service , Very Welcoming, Rooms as good as you'd expect and lovely pool and entertainment every night with excellent all inclusive menu with plenty of choice. Staff very helpful and polite , beach access good but not suitable for sea swimming

Room Tip: Hard to choose - all got sea view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul H
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Depending on Sri Lankan service, this is one of the best hotels. The stuff is very kindly, rooms are clean, beautiful and comfortable. The breakfast is common with international taste. We didn't take all inclusive, that is why we have to care about our dinner. In the hotel dinner was calculated for us about 25$ for a person. The only problem connecting with the hotel is its location (poor choose for restaurants near this hotel). The first day we took dinner at Tangerine hotel, which was cheaper. Then we go to the nearest restaurants in Kalutara (the closets fur us were a little bit dirty).
I suggest everyone to choose Royal instead of Tangerine beach hotel

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ast P
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Come on people, get real. This hotel is not out of this world ,nor is it rubbish.
However if you stay here year on year then you may feel it is excellent and on the other hand as a one off, small incidents such as allegedly slow service do not make for a bad rating.
My partner and I have just returned from a first time trip to Sri Lanka and so this is a realistic and fair review of a 2 week stay, although I appreciate we are all different and entitled to our own opinions.
I will comment on other non hotel bits(as sometimes its nice to know)but I always thought a hotel review is exactly that and you are not really reviewing the beach, standard of driving or the lesser spotted gecko on a tree outside(well actually inside the hotel grounds - see below).
The hotel is 17 years old and a bit tired looking in places.I wear glasses and it is not spotless but it is clean and lots of staff dedicate themselves to its upkeep. The room we were given was damp and we requested a change which was dealt with efficiently, but unfortunately Mr and Mrs Cockroach were also resident, and had to be disposed of on different days (I will only admit to one murder, the other was committed by a bell boy -100 rupee contract, well worth it in my opinion). Also the actual bedding was not changed until we requested after 10 days and the pillows smelt of cheesy feet(sorry can't put it any other way) but thank God I still wear Brut which with a liberal splashing did the trick.The room was nice and big with a large comfy bed with a sea view and bathroom very good.
If you are a more mature person, like lazing by the pool, eating three square(and very good) meals a day and love excellent service and evening entertainment of tributes to the 70's then this may well be the place for you.(no bingo, sorry)
The local drinks aren't bad, may be a bit limited ,but if you want a whole range of freebies as far as drinks go if you have come full board then it would be fair to expect to pay more in your package. The food is very good and a large choice with themed evenings. Someone said it is not fine dining which is true but bearing in mind the total cost I really don't think you can expect that here. The hotel will do packed breakfast and lunch if you go out. The meat is a bit below UK standards(no horse here) but veggie choice is good. Some people complained it was too spicy, but there was a large choice of non spicy as well and Sri Lanka = spices, so oddly enough you get spicy food.
If you want to get out and about, get on the beach and swim,see a lesser spotted gecko, take a few evening strolls along the promenade or to local shops, forget it. They either don't exist, its not possible or are too risky.The hotel has a selection of small mammals such as bats, monitor lizards and chipmunk creatures in the grounds. The sea is very rough and rip tides or currents have apparently taken lives.Once on the beach please adopt a nationality such as French or Belgian,say its your last day there and a few words in your chosen non UK language when approached as the locals hang on the fence and immediately you set foot on the beach try and sell you a trip/sarong/necklace/massage. Trying to reason with them failed for me, e.g. Me "I haven't come on holiday for you to sell me a sarong/massage etc. I am here to relax. How would you feel if you came to England and I tried to sell you this trip or that coconut shell etc". Seller(clearly not understanding) "But its my occupation. I am not a bad person. Its only a thousand rupees etc". At that point you wished you had learnt Sri Lankan for "Go forth and multiply", but not in those words. This is a little unfair as its the way things are and most Sri Lankans are nice and friendly, but I see why people get fed up with the hassle on the beach and at the shops.
Anyway back to the sanctuary of The Royal Palms and the service. Now this is what makes the place and The Management and staff should be proud of themselves as they excell in this area. I was never aware of any one being given a poor service, although on the odd occasion a request may be forgotten or take a few minutes longer, but any problems such as a self locking safe(I blame to cockroach, he looked a bit shifty, so I feel justified in his demise now) were very efficiently dealt with.
We did a few trips out and stayed in a better 5* hotel in Kandy one night. The Mercury Rep on the one occasion I saw him organised one of the trips but as with all of them the itinerary changed and often it was a case of taking you to several places such as gemstone "mines", silk "factories" or "spice gardens".for a selling exercise and you are the target ! and I always felt the objective was to get you to part with cash.
On a word of warning there is a current scam where a man will stop you in the street and claim to be a worker at the hotel on his day off and he can help you get a good deal on something and stop the tuc tuc man ripping you off . Yes Mr Gullible here fell for that one and was taken on a hair raising tuc tuc trip 6 or 7 miles away to a jewellers where I am pleased to say that the rupee dropped and I didn't spend a penny much to Mr Scams annoyance. Also the local temple in Kalutara has a big sign saying "No admission Free Tours", but this time Mr Guide took us round without choice and then demanded 1000 rupees each at the end. He was also told to go forth and multiply and that his head resembled a male appendage.(ripping someone off in a religious place is not really on, nor is swearing I know ,but I was driven to it) and on the subject of driving - it's bad.
Sorry I know I am meant to be doing a hotel review ,but you might thank me for a few of the above tips and that you don't end up buying an extremely rare sapphire or an instant herbal cure for freckles or hair removal(cheaper in the shops). What else can I say. Wi Fi works OK but not great, The evening entertainment is usually a couple of guys singing a selection of tunes such as Sweet Caroline, Delilah and Abba hits and stuff I can't recall, but you get the picture.Service at the bar is good.
The swimming pool is good and kept clean, with a pool bar and you are supplied with sun beds and towels. The railway line is close by and you can hear noise occasionally and loud or not depending where your room is.
So all in all probably the hotel is much nearer 4* and good value,with excellent service and the stuff that goes on outside, well that's outside and so I have attempted to be positive and if you agree occasionally humorous.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple