“Tiny”
Review of Gnanams Hotel

Gnanams Hotel
Ranked #22 of 49 Jaffna B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was very satisfied with the service. It is a real hotel with friendly and helpful staff. We got a really tiny room. The bathroom was so tiny you could use the toilet, shower and sink at the same time, which can be convenient. :) But still, it was ok for one night. I noticed that they have bigger rooms which are probably nicer.
They have no mosquito nets but tones of mosquitoes so you get a special map on your body during the night. :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The room was small, basi and neat, but it has never been cleaned since I was there (4 days). The toilet was ok, but they gave me only one small towel.

The internet wasn't working while I was there. The staff even though was kind, didn't understand english very well and didn't dare to say they weren't understanding so most of the time u had to insist to get ur service.

If you are going to stay most of ur time outside, exploring the city i guess it's fine. And it is in a very central position.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The room was big, very basic and clean. The bed is OK. Sheets and towels are also ok. The toilet is small but not neat. Service is great, helpful and caring. Central location, near bus station is big asset this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Beti_du
Reviewed September 12, 2013

True. This hotel is in the City centre, less than a 100 metres away from the central bus station. Thus there is easy access to the markets, sales outlets for electronic goods, three-wheeler
scooter taxis and across the road from the main hospital.

Since the end of a 26 year old separatist war in May 2009, several guest houses and smaller
hotels have sprung up all over Jaffna. They offer more competitive rates than Gnanam's and
the packages are well worth the money. Go around any street and you will find them, with
or without a restaurant.

I would say that other than the proximity, Gnanam's is not the best place to stay for those who look for value for their money. The rooms were no doubt clean when I checked in on the morning of 8th. The floor space in the tiny room is covered by shining wall tiles. The white
bed sheets was speck and clean. The formed the backdrop for those pictures suitable for a glossy advertisement in a magazine or TV commercial.

Alas, until I checked out on Tuesday forenoon, the room was never swept and the toilets
were never cleaned. The bed has only one pillow- as thick as a day's edition of the New York
Times. I had to ask for another one more. Once I took a shower in the one of two (one for
hot water and the other for cold), I could not use the toilet. Not until all the water had dried. They shower is so close to the toilet seat in this small (some seven feet wide and 9 feet long)
toilet.

The TV set is mounted on the wall just nine inch lower than the roof ceiling. Only way one could comfortably watch is whilst in a sleeping position. There was only a small two and half feet long and two foot wide towel. It was not changed till I left. The floor was full of sand, the result of my Nike shoes traversing the streets of Jaffna. They were never swept off. The rooms are invaded by mosquitoes in the night.

On the first night I ordered "Bed Tea," a traditional Sri Lankan practice of starting the next morning with a cuppa. Like the Jaffna Hospital across the road, it arrived at 6.15 a.m. It was brought by a room attendant who was distributing a tray full of tea (tea, sugar and milk). No tea is served in the room before or after, I was told by the Receptionist. The only option left was to
go over to the restaurant where breakfast, which is not included in the room rate, is served. I suppose they want the guest to come over and pay for the cup of tea or wake up at 6am and
wait for the ready made one.

I took the tea one morning after waking up early. It was laced with a large quantity of
sugar and was sweeter than any of the famed varieties of Jaffna mango. Believe it or not, the
cup remained on top of the mini refrigerator for two mornings and small ants had formed a
layer until I protested and demanded that it be removed. The receptionist told me he would
ask a room boy to clean the room. He could not locate him. When I was going upstairs to my
room, I saw him sleeping on a bed without sheets in a room where the door was open.

Unless you are staying overnight to catch a bus early next morning, it is not worth one's money to stay at Gnanam's. There are plenty of guest houses and homes approved by the Sri Lanka
Tourist Board that offer not only good accommodation at budget prices but also maintain a very clean environment. That this is happening to a hotel that has remained through the war
days and later being occupied by the Army over ten years, things do not seem to have changed much. I have stayed there when the Tamil Tiger rebels were occupying the north and then when the Army was there. At no time has it gone worse as last week.

Room Tip: The stair case is only nine inches wide. Unless one is careful, you can trip and fall.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 1944Athas
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The rooms are rather small and very basic but clean. The bed is OK. Sheets and towels are also quite ok. The pillow is rather small. The toilet is also small but not unclean. There is a hot water shower but it is certainly not the best. It is the kind of place you would only sleep in. I would really not want to spend much time in my room.The breakfast is good -the hotel serves both western and the traditional Jaffna breakfast.. There are several vegetarian restaurants within walking distance of the hotel so you can have a nice breakfast even outside.

Room Tip: My room had a narrow glass paneled section just below the slab which would have originally been for...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Firstly, this hotel is only a couple of hundred metres from the bus station which is very convenient.

Rooms are small but clean, arranged around a courtyard. The beds are comfortable and there's a great selection of satellite channels on the TV.

The restaurant has a very limited selection, but I found the same all over Jaffna. Staff are enthusiastic but many are not used to dealing with foreigners leading to a few chuckles as misunderstandings were cleared up.

For some unknown reason (and I forgot to ask on leaving) they send coffee/tea to your room at 6.30 am. The first morning I didn't hear them knock, the second he banged on the door - he was not to be thwarted! As I said I forgot to ask about it as I was running late for my bus.

Tourism is relatively new to Jaffna and I'd expect this hotel to improve as a wider variety of guests pass through.

Finally, I booked through Agoda. I believe you'll get a much lower rate if you arrive in person/call them.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Good place for people on strict budget but service is very poor.
I stayed there for a night to entertain my friend from London but it turned out to be a
disaster. Although the room is small it is very comfortable and clean.
However it was a mistake that we decided to have our meal in their restaurant.
When we ordered the meal and drinks nothing arrived for more than half hour but when I went to investigate I find the waiter was doing his own things without a care
in the world. When I asked him what was going on he was very rude and walked away from me. Then when we asked him to serve the drinks first he said there wasn’t any beer. By all means stay there but don’t even think of wasting your time eating there.
There are good restaurants in and around town.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends