Sarras Guest House
Priceline
The Thinnai(Jaffna)
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewscharming placedecent valuebeautiful old colonial buildingsri lankagreen grassguesthousetapsdelftbeerssoapimprovement
Reviewed February 22, 2014

First, I need to stress out that we were NOT in the main building but in an annexe across the street (more a junkyard really, with broken furnitures lying down everywhere !). Our four people room was very basic, but also very cheap (1500 rp for 4), and in the four days we stayed there nobody cleaned up the place, especially not the bathrooms wich were pretty disgusting by the time we left. Besides, the owners are not particularly friendly and/or helpfull.
To resume, you can go there if you're on a tight budget and not very peculiar about your accomodations, otherwise don't !

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed in the main old colonial style house in an upstairs room. The room itself was extremely spacious with 3 beds and two tables. The bathroom was private but accessible only via the balcony. Both the room and the bathroom was very clean. We did try the a/c for around 10 minutes but it barely blew any cold air and would have never cooled down such a large room so we switched it off and only paid for the non-a/c price. If you want a/c, do stay elsewhere but I must say it did get quite cool at night (monsoon season in January).

They did also prepare an adequate breakfast in the morning. The staff (mostly the manager) were however a bit strange trying to join us for dinner etc. They also talk a lot and watch tv late into the night so make sure you do not get a room downstairs close to where they hang out. I did prefer this place after seeing some of the other accommodation around town and as long as you stay upstairs in the main colonial building, it does have some sort of charm to it.

Room Tip: Take an upstairs room in the main old colonial building.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2014

It was a nice and huge house which was transformed to a guesthouse. Good thing is I didn't get many mosquito in my room. The manager was quite friendly. The living room in the middle of the house was a nice hangout area but I didn't see people hanging out there during my stay. I think it was a nice place if you are there with friends/family.

I was requested to take off my shoes before entering the house, but the floor was actually quite dusty that my feet got dirtier...

(Note: I realise that accommodation in Jaffna is more expensive when compared to other part of Sri Lanka. For Jaffna's standard, this place is probably okay, if we don't compare it to the rest of Sri Lanka.)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We booked in advance, but quickly left. We were shown a room in the annex house (agree with JCClondon08 regarding junk yard). No curtain on ground floor room, dirty, didn't feel safe. We were then shown an alternative room after a long discussion in the main building. It was upstairs, large room with private bathroom (although access via balcony). Room was fine, however after seeing the entire property it felt uncomfortable & eerie. Don't agree with LP's review.

We didn't stay here. We stayed in Theresa Inn just round the corner, much nicer (same family members own both guesthouses).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2014

It is hard to review a room when you did not even stay in it.
I must make it very clear we did not stay in the main house, but in the annex at the back, through the garden / junkyard to a building that had so much potential
But the room was filthy, a dirty piece of cloth hanging at the window, the bathroom had not been cleaned in some time (a pooh in the loo)
We ended up looking for alternative accommodation.
We took the owners around the room to explain why we could not stay, paid them 1000rp and left.
I wish I had taken photos - Alas I could not wait to get out of there.
If this place was done up it could be magnificent!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple