“Welcoming and Warm place”
Review of Hotel Lux Etoiles

Hotel Lux Etoiles
Ranked #16 of 45 Jaffna B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Welcoming and Warm place”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Great experience, warm and helpful staff, delicious food, Air conditioning, ice cold beer and a lovely pool. We would definitely go back there. Yes, there were things that could be changed - mosquito nets for guests who want them, a better shower. However rooms were spotless, the location was central to the places we wanted to go to and prices were affordable. (We had just walked out of a pricey little boutique hotel that was lovely but had no heart and unhelpful or clueless staff). Exceptional service provided by Mr. Radhakrishnan, a true professional.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Wasn't up to my expectation, Staff really tried hard to please, but coming from Switzerland,my husband and I were disappointed, we thought, it would be more comfortable than it was :( had to walk round to door to switch on the only light in room to use toilet in the night, no bedside lighting; shower very basic; maybe we'd go back when reconstruction is finished with better access to swimming pool;no phone in room, had to walk to Reception, whenever we needed anything, it seemed as if the room was hastily assembled a day before our arrival, minibar was plonked onto a bedside table, not joking!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Colombo
Reviewed November 26, 2013

After a few days in Jaffna, any foreigner starts to crave for some more familiar food. Search no further and have a sea-food pizza (but ask them to remove ALL the chillies as they do not belong on a pizza) and have it with a chilled beer (another rarity in Jaffna to find that in a restaurant) in their airconditioned restaurant. Believe me, it is one of the best pizza's you can get in Sri Lanka - says a serious pizza lover.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Maaseppo
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The food was awesome - especially the pizza! But they will give you any kind of cuisine and it's all good. Room was basic and tiny but both room and bathroom were super clean. Walking distance to the Nallur Temple and Rio Ice Cream. Very friendly and courteous service. Will definitely go there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bunti68
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately, reading the other reviews I think we must have had some bad luck when it came to Lux Etoiles as it seems a lot of people were quite happy with the place.

Let me begin by telling you I am a UK born Jaffnaite. I have stayed in the town on a number of occasions but always with family- this was my first stay in a hotel. I had stayed in fantastic places over the island- cinnamon lodge, chaaya blue etc but wasn't expecting much from Jaffna. I knew the hospitality business was experiencing a boom, now two years post 'troubles' and was playing catch up.

We'd arrived late on the first evening and had only wanted to sleep. We had paid for a triple AC room unfortunately the AC was broken (in such a way that it wasn't immediately noticeable- cutting off every hour without fail regardless of remote settings). To make matters worse it was the most mosquito ridden place I'd stayed in for the whole trip, probably made worse by lack of windows (the following morning I counted 20 individual bites). Due to how late it was and my room mates being fast asleep I didn't inform the manager until the following morning where they ensured us the problem would be fixed.

The following night we encountered the exact same problem. This time their hapless 'technician' paid our room a visit (thrice, every hour the AC shut down). Despite my explanations in Tamil/English they played around with the remote and kept reassuring me the a/c was functional. On the third occasion (3 hours of dysfunctional a/c, now 2300) I suggested that they provide us with another room or a table fan. Unfortunately another room was not available, which is understandable and we were supplied with a fan. A slightly more bearable night followed.

The third night we were told the a/c had been serviced and was working fine. Surprise surprise the problem resurfaces. The same hapless 'technician' repeats the process of pushing a number of buttons on the remote and reassuring me. On this occasion rather the waiting for an hour for it to fail I spoke directly with the manager and on this occasion our room was changed. The new room was perfectly adequate and we spent two more restful nights there. At this point I should mention we suffered 4 black outs over the course of the stay lasting from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, it appeared as though it was quite localised to our section of the hotel only.

I should touch upon some of the positives: food menu was varied though not as cheap as local cuisine, service was always friendly if sometimes incompetent, they have an impressive swimming pool (although apparently you must pay per use?), rooms were simple and quite dingy however very clean (although they only clean your room if you drop the keys in a tray in reception- something we were not informed of and so went three days without a room clean).

Now the reason for 2 stars: I am able to overlook the failing a/c, the abundance of Mosquitos, blackouts. The majority of these problems are endemic to the region and it isn't constructive to dwell on these things. It is worth mentioning these things for western tourists however- you should know what the state of Jaffna is at present and whether or not it would be suitable for young children, although I must stress things are improving daily.

My issue is that on payment of room bills, they broke down the costs: room charges/ dining fees. We quite openly informed them that they hadn't factored in two dinners that our driver had eaten. At this point I should also mention this was the only hotel during our trip of Sri Lanka that doesn't provide drivers accommodation, and we paid full price for his room in addition. They told us that drivers eat for free. We then told them that they had charged us for four nights in an a/c room whereas we had in fact only had an a/c room for two nights. The story then changed; we were told that they had given us the drivers meals as compensation for this. They then proceeded to add the drivers meals (a sum of 500 rupees apparently, and gave us compensation of 1000 rupees for the room- net deduction 500 rupees). The actual amounts themselves are not significant however I was left with the feeling that this was handled in an unprofessional manner (in an almost tit for tat game) and there was very little in terms of an apology for the first two nights. And of course there is no way for me to verify the real costs of an a/c vs non a/c room as their pricing isn't entirely transparent.

My overall impression is that this isn't well suited for a western audience: lack of drivers facilities, no contingency plan for failing amenities (and sending incompetent staff to deal with major problems) and lack of transparency when dealing with problems/recompense. I won't be staying on my next visit but am hopeful that there will be plenty more hotels cropping up over the next few years (Jaffna Heritage HAS caught my eye).

EDIT: Having just clicked through a few more reviews I noted another poor review that mentioned the same problems we had with their 'deluxe' rooms 7/11 (both of which we stayed in). So final bit of advice would be, if you do end up staying in this hotel please avoid rooms 7 and 11 like the plague!

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Anand86

Travelers are raving about these Jaffna hotels

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Its located near Nallur temple, which means easy access to bank, buses, good restaurants and the main town.

Good : ( Room no 204 )
Rooms are clean, well maintained and staff members are super helpful. The food is great, you have to pre-order though. I have checked the quality of the rooms of similar price range, and this comes on top.

Bad:
Not sure how often the housekeeping is done. We were there for 2 days and nobody bothered to ask us whether we want our rooms cleaned.
Room should have been a bit more spacious.
The door locks need to be serviced, it can be tricky to shut the doors properly. We changed from one room to the other because of this and we had a similar issue on the other one too. As there is no locker provided, they should do their best to make us feels secure.

Room Tip: See the available rooms and choose a spacey room. Try and get one with a balcony for fresh air.